Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Dating back as long as I can remember, I've always wanted a Civic. After 16 years of driving Cavaliers and a Cobalt, I finally found the one!

2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback - 1.5L Turbo, 6 Speed Manual. Recently purchased after coming off lease from one of the service techs at my local Honda dealership. Only 12,000 miles, and even in the current used car market, I feel I got a pretty good deal.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_17092021_141854_(1280_x_960_pixel)

I plan to use this thread to document everything I've purchased and done to the car. So far, as an upgrade from a Cavalier LS Sport coupe this thing is amazing!
Sponsored

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Current Mod List (As of Sept. 10, 2021)

Performance

• 27Won Cold Air Intake System with Street MAF (27Won / $392.71)
  • Acuity Shifter Cable Linkage Bushings (Unity Performance / $70)
  • Acuity Throttle Pedal Spacer (Two Step Performance / $97)
  • HASport Street Rear Motor Mount (10th Gen Civic Shop / $149.99)
  • Honda OEM Type-R Shifter with Acuity Upgrades (Unity Performance / $225)
  • Honda OEM Type-R Subframe Brace with Bolts (Honda Parts Network / $31.17)
  • KTuner v2 / TSP Stage 1 Tune for Non-Si (Two Step Performance / $659)
  • Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can (Two Step Performance / $197.95)
  • Mishimoto Black Intercooler (Two Step Performance / $612.95)
  • MSD Blaster Ignition Coils (Two Step Performance / $178.95)
  • NGK Ruthenium HX Spark Plugs (Two Step Performance / $44.95)
Exterior
  • BADANNLV Aluminum Skid Plate (BADANNLV / $230)
  • "Canadian Market" Red Turbo Decal (Etsy / $5.99)
  • DDM Tuning SaberLED 55W Accu/V2 ProX Series LED Low-Beam Bulbs (BriSource / $167.95)
  • FKX Racing Gloss Black High Flow Grill with Red H-Mark (FKX Racing / $169.99)
  • Honda OEM Accord Sway Bar End Links (Unity Performance / $40)
  • Honda OEM Black Lug Nuts (eBay / $78.33)
  • Honda OEM Gloss Black Rear Civic Emblem (College Hills Honda / $80.59 w/ Unused H-Marks)
  • Honda OEM Gloss Black Rear Sport Emblem (College Hills Honda / $26.87)
  • Honda OEM Red Rear Badge (eBay / $42.29)
  • Honda OEM Red Center Wheel Caps (eBay / $99.64)
  • Honda OEM Si Rear-Sway Bar (Honda Parts Network / $88.32)
  • Honda OEM Valve Stem Caps (eBay / $21.19)
  • JetsVinyl Clear Bio-Hex Headlight Vinyl Overlay (Etsy / $30)
  • JetsVinyl Clear Bio-Hex Side Marker Vinyl Overlay (Etsy / $20)
  • JetsVinyl Smoked Bio-Hex Reverse Taillight Vinyl Overlay (Etsy / $22)
  • Lamin-X Yellow Foglight Vinyl Overlay (Amazon / $14.74)
  • LASFIT LED Brake and Turn Signal Bulbs (Amazon / $112.41)
  • Prostripe Red Striping Tape on Mirror and Body Kit (O’Reilly Auto Parts / $7.98 for 1/4” and 1/8”)
  • Suma Performance Side-View Mirrors (Suma Performance / $157.10)
  • TECHMAX 60W 6500k H11 LED Fog Light Bulbs (Amazon / $35.99)
  • TypeRLEDs LED-X Reverse Lights (TypeRLEDs / $90.45 with LED interior lights)
  • Unity Performance Smoke with Amber LED Side Marker Lights (Unity Performance / $58)
  • Wolo Horn Upgrade (College Hills Honda / $18)
Interior
  • Acuity Red ESCO Shift Knob (Two Step Performance / $75)
  • Acuity Shift Boot Adapter (Acuity / $44.28)
  • Custom "Civic" Metal Footrest (Etsy / $51.83)
  • Custom Interior Light Kit/Harness (CorsoMotion, SuperBrightLEDs.com / ~$30)
  • eBay Engine Bay Side Panel Covers (eBay / $35.87)
  • Honda OEM Sport Cargo Tray (College Hills Honda / $88.26)
  • Honda OEM High-Wall Floor Mats (College Hills Honda / $122.02)
  • Honda OEM Rear Seat Back Protector (College Hills Honda / $75.47)
  • JetsVinyl Clear Bio-Hex Steering Wheel Vinyl Overlay (Etsy / $21)
  • OEM-style Red Steering Wheel Badge (eBay / $13.78)
  • Thinkware F200 PRO Dual-Channel Full HD WiFi Dash Cam w/ Hardwire Kit (BlackBoxMyCar / $177.98)
  • TypeRLEDs Map, Dome and Hatch Lights (TypeRLEDs / $90.45 with LED reverse lights)
Audio System
  • Alpine PSU300-CVC Power Kit (Crutchfield / $699.95)
  • Rockford Fosgate P165-SI Component Speakers - Front Doors (Crutchfield / $179.99)
  • Rockford Fosgate R165X3 3-Way Speakers - Rear Doors (Crutchfield / $54.99)
Parts on Order or Not Yet Installed (As of Sept. 10, 2022)

Performance
  • Honda OEM Si Springs (Honda Parts Network / $130.93)
Interior
  • Honda Odyssey OEM Intermittent Wiper Mod (eBay)
Wishlist
  • 27won FSTB
  • Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • Honda OEM Leather Armrest and Center Console Assemblies
  • MagnaFlow 19373 Street Series Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System
  • LED High Beam Bulbs
  • PRL Stainless Clutch Line
  • Unity Performance Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel

Last edited:
OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
First weekend with the Civic. I took the opportunity to do a full exterior detail with a wash, clay bar, alcohol wipe and wax with Collinite 845. I also cleaned up the engine bay a little bit with some 303 Protectant. After the alcohol wipe I striped the body kit with some vinyl from O’Reilly Auto Parts. I also did a small accent stripe on the mirrors where the cover and body of the mirror meet. This gap perfectly fit 1/8” vinyl.

I have a lot of stuff coming in the next few days and can’t wait to start digging into boxes. Today I received my College Hills Honda order and put in the OEM cargo tray and all-season floor mats.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_18092021_200208_(1280_x_960_pixel)
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_18092021_200154_(1280_x_960_pixel)
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_18092021_201140_(1280_x_960_pixel)

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's been a busy week. Last weekend I received the KTuner v2 and TSP tune, which I flashed on to the Civic Monday afternoon. What a difference! Even in MAP 2 Eco mode there is noticeably better response and it just puts a smile on my face while I'm driving.

I installed a Mishimoto oil catch can during the week. The process was pretty easy, and I took my time. I'm not thrilled with the fit of the Mishimoto hoses, though. I had to zip tie the stock fuel line out of the way of the can, and then the two hoses included with the kit rub against another one of the stock hoses running through the back of the engine bay. My plan next week is to buy some wire loom from Amazon and sleeve all of those hoses to better protect them.

A bunch of parts showed up at my house this week. Thursday I installed the TypeRLEDs interior light kit. The lights are extremely bright. The dome light was a bit finicky to install, but overall I'm happy with them.

On Saturday, I put the red OEM center caps and black OEM lug nuts on. They look great. The TypeRLEDs reverse LEDs also got installed. I gave it a quick wash Saturday evening and it was looking great in the fall sunlight.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_26092021_182438_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_26092021_183931_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Today I worked on the back of the car, replacing the stock chrome H-Mark with a red OEM one. I also removed the chrome "Civic" and "Sport" emblems and replaced them with black gloss ones from College Hills Honda. It's a very stealthy look now, not 100 percent in love with it, but it's growing on me. I also added a red "Canadian OEM-like" Turbo decal to the hatch window.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_26092021_182403_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_26092021_182504_(1280_x_960_pixel)

I also put in the Acuity pedal spacer in position "C." Admittedly, I have been struggling with first and second gears. It's been a few years since I've driven a stick shift and the "C" position feels better at the moment so I'm hoping it might improve my shifting a bit. The install was very simple and took less than 30 minutes.

To finish up the weekend I cleaned the interior well, and installed the Honda OEM rear seat back protectors. Unfortunately, the hatch isn't wide enough to hold my golf clubs, so I have to lay them over the back seat. The protectors should help keep the car a bit cleaner. I was very impressed with how well the hook-and-loop fasteners worked.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_26092021_182334_(1280_x_960_pixel)

I'm about 90 percent done with the mods I'd like to do on the exterior of the car. I am going to order the FKX Racing front grille with the red H-mark to be installed in the spring. I have smoked side markers on order from Unity Performance. There are a few other odds and ends I'm going to do as well, but nothing major to note.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The cheap eBay side engine bay covers arrived today. I'm glad I had extra push clips laying around as I broke one. There's an extra hole on the left side, not sure if I'll drill it or just leave it be.

The plastic was a very close match out of the package, and after a quick wipe with 303 Protectant it matches nearly perfectly. Not bad for $35.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_20210928_195458

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I updated the second post with everything that I've installed or put on order now. The list has grown quite a bit quickly, and I need to stop ordering stuff until I find the time to take care of what's on the way.

Not for the Civic directly, but I also ordered a pair of QuickJacks. I'm sick of the jack and jack stand routine. It's not only a pain, but dangerous. My Harbor Freight racing jack barely has enough travel to handle the Civic, and looking at better options I was committed to spending at least a couple hundred dollars on a jack. Since I do most all of my maintenance at home I think I will greatly enjoy the QuickJacks.

I did go a little crazy with ordering stuff this week. As I explained to a friend a week ago, this is the car that teenage me dreamed of. Do I plan on tracking it? Probably not. But to finally be able to build something I've imagined in my mind for the past 20 years is proving to be very fun and addictive.

This is my daily driver. My top priorities are reliability and driveability. I enjoy a decent sound system and that's a priority. Once the Alpine amplifier/sub combo is installed, I am going to order a set of components for both the front and back doors. Once winter is over I'll reassess, but an RV6 down pipe/front pipe combo and a black Mishimoto intercooler are on my list of "must buys."

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I spent most of my Sunday installing a good chunk of the parts I had ordered over the past weeks.

First up was the 2020 Type-R shifter with upgraded Acuity parts from @Unity Performance. The install went rather well. I took my time, stopped for an hour breakfast and still finished in about four hours. Acuity's install videos are very good, though I had to mash up about four different ones to install the stock Type-R shifter with Acuity's mounting bushings, then modify the Type-R shifter with the new rocker arm, spring, knob adapter and ESCO shift knob.

What a difference the setup makes! Way more sporty feeling than the stock hatch shifter. Throw is greatly reduce and it's much more firm running through the gears.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_04102021_071122_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_04102021_071059_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_04102021_071041_(1280_x_960_pixel)

After lunch I installed the Alpine PSU-300CVC Power Kit, which includes a small 4 channel amp for the speakers, a powered 8" subwoofer and wiring harness for plug-and-play operation. The install went fairly smooth, but running the power cable through the firewall near the passenger side was a chore (hint: use a metal coat hanger to poke a hole in the rubber grommet from the inside, and then fish it out into the engine bay, attach power cable and then tape well and pull back through).

My experience was made worse by the fact the mounting bracket for the kit was bent slightly, so I had to bend it back into shape so that it would line up with the passenger seat mounting holes. And, I had to have an unexpected trip to Home Depot to get more self-tapping screws for the ground connection as I dropped the one from the kit under the carpet somewhere and failed to find it.

All-in-all, it sounds really nice for a small sub/amp combo. I adjusted the gain and low-pass filter slightly differently than the recommended settings in the manual and it's very solid overall. I love that it is all hidden under the passenger seat as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_04102021_071025_(1280_x_960_pixel)

I had intended on wrapping the faux carbon fiber dash trim with the Vvivid red carbon fiber vinyl I had ordered but that was a complete waste. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but the vinyl wouldn't stick to anything at all. So after wasting about an hour on two little pieces I gave up and just re-installed everything without change.

Last night I ordered a set of component speakers for the front doors and some cheaper 3-ways for the back. I have sail plates with tweeter holes from the higher trims on order. I'm looking forward to finishing off the sound system.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I spent most of my Sunday installing a good chunk of the parts I had ordered over the past weeks.

First up was the 2020 Type-R shifter with upgraded Acuity parts from @Unity Performance. The install went rather well. I took my time, stopped for an hour breakfast and still finished in about four hours. Acuity's install videos are very good, though I had to mash up about four different ones to install the stock Type-R shifter with Acuity's mounting bushings, then modify the Type-R shifter with the new rocker arm, spring, knob adapter and ESCO shift knob.

What a difference the setup makes! Way more sporty feeling than the stock hatch shifter. Throw is greatly reduce and it's much more firm running through the gears.

IMG_04102021_071122_(1280_x_960_pixel).jpg

IMG_04102021_071059_(1280_x_960_pixel).jpg

IMG_04102021_071041_(1280_x_960_pixel).jpg

After lunch I installed the Alpine PSU-300CVC Power Kit, which includes a small 4 channel amp for the speakers, a powered 8" subwoofer and wiring harness for plug-and-play operation. The install went fairly smooth, but running the power cable through the firewall near the passenger side was a chore (hint: use a metal coat hanger to poke a hole in the rubber grommet from the inside, and then fish it out into the engine bay, attach power cable and then tape well and pull back through).

My experience was made worse by the fact the mounting bracket for the kit was bent slightly, so I had to bend it back into shape so that it would line up with the passenger seat mounting holes. And, I had to have an unexpected trip to Home Depot to get more self-tapping screws for the ground connection as I dropped the one from the kit under the carpet somewhere and failed to find it.

All-in-all, it sounds really nice for a small sub/amp combo. I adjusted the gain and low-pass filter slightly differently than the recommended settings in the manual and it's very solid overall. I love that it is all hidden under the passenger seat as well.

IMG_04102021_071025_(1280_x_960_pixel).jpg

I had intended on wrapping the faux carbon fiber dash trim with the Vvivid red carbon fiber vinyl I had ordered but that was a complete waste. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but the vinyl wouldn't stick to anything at all. So after wasting about an hour on two little pieces I gave up and just re-installed everything without change.

Last night I ordered a set of component speakers for the front doors and some cheaper 3-ways for the back. I have sail plates with tweeter holes from the higher trims on order. I'm looking forward to finishing off the sound system.
Hey Cody, thanks for the support! Glad you are loving the shifter, it's a perfect daily setup :)

Will take in your feedback, and see if we can create an all-in-one install video as well

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Will take in your feedback, and see if we can create an all-in-one install video as well
Absolutely love that everything came in one package and at a good price. Quick shipping, too. I was so excited when I found out I would have it by the weekend to install.

It really wasn't hard at all because the Acuity videos are really good. But you do need to find and watch parts of multiple videos to cover everything from removal to parts installation. The only part I struggled with was removing the rocker and gear cables from the shifter frame. The Acuity videos won't overly clear on that process and it didn't make sense to me until I got a flashlight and looked at the locking mechanism from way up close.

You're right about it being a perfect daily setup. Feels so much nicer than the sloppy stock Sport shifter.

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Frustrated beyond words. On my way out of the parking lot at work yesterday, I got behind a Dodge Dakota at the stop sign. For whatever reason, he felt the need to put his truck into reverse and backed into me, despite my laying on the horn for several seconds (I was boxed in with a car behind me).

I'm thankful it was mostly a tap, but he did crush in the bumper below the driver's headlight slightly, and while it rebounded mostly, it left a wrinkle in the paint and some scuffs on the clear coat.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_05102021_143023_(1280_x_960_pixel)

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate and I'm guessing I'm just going to leave it alone. They will need to take the bumper off, reshape with heat and then re-spray the entire thing. While I could file a third-party claim with his insurance, I'm not sure if I even want to deal with the hassle. I could throw some Meguiar's polish on it and probably remove the faint clear coat damage and be left with just the slight wrinkle.

Unreal, literally less than a month after getting the car I have something happen to me that has never happened in two decades of driving.

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mods go on despite the stupid fender damage. Last night I put in DDM Tuning SaberLED 55W Accu/V2 ProX Series LEDs in the low beam projectors. The install was really simple. The hardest part was figuring out where to zip-tie the wiring and decoders so that they'd be secure. At some point I may go back through and clean that up with some 3M tape instead.

Didn't need to re-aim the headlights at all, and the cutoff is pretty good. First picture is the stock halogens (taken last week), next picture is the DDM LEDs. The DDMs are just a tiny bit more white than the stock daytime running lights, but overall a better match than the halogens.

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_06102021_074647_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_06102021_074616_(1280_x_960_pixel)

Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build IMG_06102021_074631_(1280_x_960_pixel)

OP
OP
2019SportHatch
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nice build. How are you liking the floor mats from college hills Honda?
Thanks! The mats fit perfectly (which is why I wanted the OEM ones) and seem to do a good job of catching debris and dirt in the channels. We'll see how they hold up to Michigan winter.

They don't completely cover the interior up near the pedals. This is good because I have no clearance issues with the Acuity pedal spacer, but on the flip side some moisture/snow/salt is likely to get behind them. Being black carpet I know there's going to be some stains to get out in the spring.

I really like the cargo tray, but my only complaint would be that Honda should have matched the material from the floor mats (which has a slight rubbery texture to it). The cargo tray is a harder plastic and stuff slides around pretty easily on it.

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Frustrated beyond words. On my way out of the parking lot at work yesterday, I got behind a Dodge Dakota at the stop sign. For whatever reason, he felt the need to put his truck into reverse and backed into me, despite my laying on the horn for several seconds (I was boxed in with a car behind me).

I'm thankful it was mostly a tap, but he did crush in the bumper below the driver's headlight slightly, and while it rebounded mostly, it left a wrinkle in the paint and some scuffs on the clear coat.

IMG_05102021_143023_(1280_x_960_pixel).jpg

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate and I'm guessing I'm just going to leave it alone. They will need to take the bumper off, reshape with heat and then re-spray the entire thing. While I could file a third-party claim with his insurance, I'm not sure if I even want to deal with the hassle. I could throw some Meguiar's polish on it and probably remove the faint clear coat damage and be left with just the slight wrinkle.

Unreal, literally less than a month after getting the car I have something happen to me that has never happened in two decades of driving.
I got a dent/ nasty scratch on the door of my new type r after only 2 weeks. Was driving down a driveway drove over a stick and it flung it into my door
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2019 Sport Hatchback Build 566BA0A4-A8A1-4A76-B482-EF992A4E11BF

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe I didnt pay enough attention, but how’d you do the red striping on the side mirrors?
Sponsored