My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have a thin one just to hold the plastic bumper cover and a thick one behind, both made of steel, while in America there is only one made of aluminum. It could be to reduce the cost of repairs in minor accidents
Sponsored

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
do you have a part number, and was it plug/play? thanks

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Wow. Didn't think that installing the touring LED lights would be easy (OP could tell if it was or not), given previous models. Changing harnesses must have been crazy. Looking forward to the write up!

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
Wow. Didn't think that installing the touring LED lights would be easy (OP could tell if it was or not), given previous models. Changing harnesses must have been crazy. Looking forward to the write up!
I believe there is an adapter harnesss that plugs into the original headlight connectors then plugs into the touring lamps. there are a few companies that sell the lamps w/ plug and play harnesses.

OP
OP
Mugenkb1

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
As promised, here's the write up for the Touring LED headlamp conversion, MDX horn conversion, and I'll also do my version of the clear sidemarkers.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2040.JPG
But first and foremost, I'll have to credit Jeff from Hardtopguy.com as he help make the harness for the headlights and the horn conversion. He worked with me to get this going, and provided all the info I needed to make it work. Super responsive, and helpful guy. Pretty much couldn't have done it w/o his help.
For the headlamps and harnesses: http://hardtopguy.com/store/2016-2017-civic-headlamp-upgrade.html
For the wiring only: http://hardtopguy.com/store/2016-2017-cvic-led-headlamp-mod-wiring-only-.html

Alright, on to the DIY of changing out the headlights and such. First you have to remove the front bumper, just be careful not to brake the clips under the headlights when pulling the bumper off, rest is pretty straightforward.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_1967.JPG
As for actually removing the headlamps, you'll need a socket wrench with an extended bar thingy, because one screw is way back in the inside. There's 4 screws total holding up the headlight and two more that you'll have to remove the plastic beam from the headlight itself from.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2017.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2012.JPG
At this point, I would highly recommend to just take off one side first, and finish installing that side with the new LED headlamps so then you can see how it was put back together on the other side. But here's basically what the harness looks like from Jeff:
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2009.JPG
So it's essentially all plug and play, super easy to do. Before screwing back the headlights, I highly recommend to hook the DRL LED back up first, because reaching into there and trying to plug it in after mounting the headlights is a PITA, not so much the drivers side, but the passenger side sucked.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2015.JPG
And that's pretty much it, just do your cable management as how you see fit. Although I recommend to not have the resistor for the turn signals dangling around and touching any plastics or anything because it can get pretty hot.

On to the horns! So I didn't know before hand that the MDX horns were grounded thru the mounting bracket, so it made finding a mounting area a bit difficult...finding a good place to mount these actually took me alot of trial and error. Anyway, this was my setup at first:
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2008.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2006.JPG

Basically mounting it to the beam, which would have worked great if the fog light housing wasn't in the way. Oh, and Jeff made that wiring harness (yellow and red) in order to convert the signal horn setup to a dual horn setup for the MDX horns. Basically just tap into the positive stock wire, and plug and play, but you have to make sure you have a good place to ground the horns. As you can see I ran another wire thru the beam to the other side. Since I had fog lights, the housing got in the way, so after much messing around trying to find a good space, I ended up mounting it to where the stock horn used to be, but running a ground wire to the beam with the ring terminals. Since they made the car symmetrical, I had a mounting hole for the driverside too. Worked out great.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2033.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2034.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2035.JPG

And there you have it!
As for the clear side markers, I definitely had to trim the two little numbs off, but also slightly trim the other ones in order to make it fit in the housing.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2018.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2019.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2020.JPG
Pretty easy peasy, especially with the headlight out, you can have really good access to the side marker area.
As for the foglights, I'm running Osram Fog breakers, really happy with the results.
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2016.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2043.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2044.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2036.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen My 2017 Hatchback sport 6MT LSM WIP IMG_2041.JPG

There you have it! Again, wouldn't be possible with Jeff's help from hardtopguy.com. As for my impression on the headlights themselves? I have yet to drive with them yet, but from what I see is that it doesn't have that nice cut off line at the top as say the MDX LED headlights do, and yes, I can see what people and the IIHS was talking about regarding the "excessive glare." I probably need to adjust them a bit too. I think projector LEDs are superior to these reflector LED headlights, but then again, it's comparing apples to oranges. Would you get away with just switching out the bulb to an LED bulb on the projector headlights? Probably, but I personally don't want to deal with stuff like if the LED bulb dies or whatnot, and the brightness may not be adequate.

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great write up. :thumbsup:im sure it will help out the other users here who still want to convert to the Touring headlight

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Wow very nice! From this, I assume the head lights are universal fit across all trims? I am definitely interested in doing the LED conversion