Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport SOLD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SOLVED, for now.

Hi All,

I know there are a few other threads about this, but I didn't want to highjack anyone. I will post any and all updates here. I hope this helps some one else.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport. Brand new. 410 miles on it.
Symptom: Dash rattle. There is a dash rattle when the vehicle is first started after it has cooled down. The rattle seems more noticeable at ~1800 rpms. It seems to come from the left dash air vent.

Steps taken to Diagnose Issue:

2-19-2017
I can push down the left vent and it stops. I removed the left vent cover. It still rattles. I tried pushing down on various areas such as the duct and hump on the dash in front of the driver. It helps intermittently. I put the vent back on and the right side started to rattle and then stopped.

2-20-2017
I dropped the vehicle off at the dealership. Showed them the video and told the service advisor what I did. He didn't write none of it down.... I called back again to reminded him that it happens at ~1800 rpm's to TRY to make sure my car isn't hot rodded. It should never leave the lot... I am curious to how many miles they tack on.

2-21-2017
Dealer called. They are not able to replicate the noise. But they tacked on 40 miles, even though I told them it only does it when you first pull out when it is cold... Now, I have to go up there tomorrow morning and replicate the noise.

2-21-2017 Evening
I called Honda Corp and opened a case.

2-22-2017
I drove the car with a lead tech. It made the noise, finally... Long story short, I believe he found and fixed the issue. It was the driver's side "A" pillar. It was vibrating at the bottom against the dash. He added some of their foam tape to fix it. So far, so good. I will post any future updates, though I hope I won't have any! :)

Sponsored

Last edited:

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get used to it, I have had my car at the dealer more than ten times for rattles like this. Here is a video of one rattle. I am so sick of this car and the rattles.

Enly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 350z
Get used to it, I have had my car at the dealer more than ten times for rattles like this. Here is a video of one rattle. I am so sick of this car and the rattles.

Has the dealer not been able to help you?

I'm looking to lease a civic hatchback touring, afraid I won't get assistance with minor issues such as that.

OP
OP

civicSguy

Feel free to close this account.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I hate to hear that. For me and you. With the exception of my old Silverado, I we have had 12 Toyota's in the past 20 years and never had an issue. Maybe we got lucky, IDK. I am unhappy with this car as well. Seems to be lacking quality a bit. I am HOPING they fix it. If they do not, I will try to resolve it myself. I just bought the car so I am trying to keep an open mind. Sadly, I do not have much faith in the dealership so far. I watched the service writer scratch the crap out of my hood with his clipboard and then told me he didn't do it. They did fix that though before I left. My biggest scare right now is the thought of them pulling the dash. I just don't trust them. Especially since they didn't listen when I explained the issue and what I have found in my troubleshooting.

BTW, @WhatTheFun , does your rattle go away if you push on your vent or spots in the dash?

Take care,

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would describe it like whack-a-mole. When the dealer fixes one issue, another one pops up. The dealer made progress, but all issues are not fully solved.

the issue in the video above was the shifter cable. I have had a few others like sunroof vent tube, random plastic panels under the dash, and others..

RallyeRedHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car was made in England...rattles are going to happen, lol. My hatch does it, too. I thought it was a blown speaker first...The dash is very flimsy (just barely touching the center of it on the top...it goes down a bit).

OP
OP

civicSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car was made in England...rattles are going to happen, lol. My hatch does it, too. I thought it was a blown speaker first...The dash is very flimsy (just barely touching the center of it on the top...it goes down a bit).
I notice that the entire dashed flexed when I did that also. Kinda disturbing at first. Maybe it makes it safer in a wreck and/or helps fight cracking from the sun/temp.

RallyeRedHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I notice that the entire dashed flexed when I did that also. Kinda disturbing at first. Maybe it makes it safer in a wreck and/or helps fight cracking from the sun/temp.

I think it's mostly for weight/cost savings

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I also had a dash rattle that would stop when I pushed on the bottom left side of the dash board were the driver's left knee would be. The rattle was most noticeable around 2,000 rpm when first pulling out or in slow stop and go traffic.

Took it in to the dealer the first week of owning it and they put a good amount of miles on it even though I told them exactly how to reproduce the issue (~45 if I remember correctly.) Apparently a piece of metal behind the steering wheel was vibrating and causing the rattle by hitting a pice of the dash. They put the foam tape on it and 5 days later I had my car back. Pretty annoying to be honest, sorry to see other are experiencing this as well.

This weekend I noticed with higher volumes, songs with bass cause a pretty noticeable rattle coming from the right passenger door/glove box area. Hard to diagnose when driving solo will investigate alter this week.

Maybe I'm OCD but I expect a brand new car to not have these quirks. Love this car otherwise.

P4Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R Sonic Gray, 2018 Honda Accord EX-l 2.0 Turbo, 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1965 GMC Pickup, 2009 KTM Enduro 690R
Symptom: Dash rattle. There is a dash rattle when the vehicle is first started after it has cooled down. The rattle seems more noticeable at ~1800 rpms. It seems to come from the left dash air vent.
Mine does the exact same thing.
I push down above the left vent and it goes away.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Thanks OP, now I know how to fix it. Mine hasn't been rattling since the weather warmed up, and of course the dealer couldn't reproduce it when I went it for 1st oil change. I don't think they even drove it.

OP
OP

civicSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks OP, now I know how to fix it. Mine hasn't been rattling since the weather warmed up, and of course the dealer couldn't reproduce it when I went it for 1st oil change. I don't think they even drove it.
Glad the post helped. If it helps any, the tech had my car in drive with the brake applied. He then rev'd it up until he got to the ~1500 - ~1800 rpm range. He did this to replicate the noise in his bay after we drove it.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Is it just me, or does the "cheapo" LX version have virtually no issues at all, while the more expensive models, that are supposed to be soooo much better, have several?

All I'm gonna say is HAHA to all you people that put down the LX. :)

defeated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch LX, 2007 Chevy Silverado
Country flag
Is it just me, or does the "cheapo" LX version have virtually no issues at all, while the more expensive models, that are supposed to be soooo much better, have several?
Ha! I'm tempted to feel smug, but my drivers side interior door panel does feel kinda flimsy, and I'm afraid to even start pushing on the dash

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SOLVED, for now.

Hi All,

I know there are a few other threads about this, but I didn't want to highjack anyone. I will post any and all updates here. I hope this helps some one else.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport. Brand new. 410 miles on it.

Steps taken to Diagnose Issue:

2-19-2017
I can push down the left vent and it stops. I removed the left vent cover. It still rattles. I tried pushing down on various areas such as the duct and hump on the dash in front of the driver. It helps intermittently. I put the vent back on and the right side started to rattle and then stopped.

2-20-2017
I dropped the vehicle off at the dealership. Showed them the video and told the service advisor what I did. He didn't write none of it down.... I called back again to reminded him that it happens at ~1800 rpm's to TRY to make sure my car isn't hot rodded. It should never leave the lot... I am curious to how many miles they tack on.

2-21-2017
Dealer called. They are not able to replicate the noise. But they tacked on 40 miles, even though I told them it only does it when you first pull out when it is cold... Now, I have to go up there tomorrow morning and replicate the noise.

2-21-2017 Evening
I called Honda Corp and opened a case.

2-22-2017
I drove the car with a lead tech. It made the noise, finally... Long story short, I believe he found and fixed the issue. It was the driver's side "A" pillar. It was vibrating at the bottom against the dash. He added some of their foam tape to fix it. So far, so good. I will post any future updates, though I hope I won't have any! :)

Same thing happening to mine! Quite annoying and you hit the nail right on the head when you said it only happens when you first accelerate. I didn't know where it was coming from. At first I thought it was in the dash behind the head unit, then I thought it was in the steering column. I will try to check that A pillar base and see if that's where it's coming from. Thank you.
Sponsored