My 2017 Hatchback Dash Rattle Thread

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
do you have passenger door panel rattling?
nothing, It is perfectly quiet now after the namecards trick, we will see if it stays this way in winter too as I hope.
Sponsored

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SOLVED, for now.

Hi All,

I know there are a few other threads about this, but I didn't want to highjack anyone. I will post any and all updates here. I hope this helps some one else.

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport. Brand new. 410 miles on it.
Symptom: Dash rattle. There is a dash rattle when the vehicle is first started after it has cooled down. The rattle seems more noticeable at ~1800 rpms. It seems to come from the left dash air vent.

Steps taken to Diagnose Issue:

2-19-2017
I can push down the left vent and it stops. I removed the left vent cover. It still rattles. I tried pushing down on various areas such as the duct and hump on the dash in front of the driver. It helps intermittently. I put the vent back on and the right side started to rattle and then stopped.

2-20-2017
I dropped the vehicle off at the dealership. Showed them the video and told the service advisor what I did. He didn't write none of it down.... I called back again to reminded him that it happens at ~1800 rpm's to TRY to make sure my car isn't hot rodded. It should never leave the lot... I am curious to how many miles they tack on.

2-21-2017
Dealer called. They are not able to replicate the noise. But they tacked on 40 miles, even though I told them it only does it when you first pull out when it is cold... Now, I have to go up there tomorrow morning and replicate the noise.

2-21-2017 Evening
I called Honda Corp and opened a case.

2-22-2017
I drove the car with a lead tech. It made the noise, finally... Long story short, I believe he found and fixed the issue. It was the driver's side "A" pillar. It was vibrating at the bottom against the dash. He added some of their foam tape to fix it. So far, so good. I will post any future updates, though I hope I won't have any! :)

I was just about to say it is the A-pillar, but you figured it out. I have the same issue. But i havmt taken it to dealer yet. Figured i fix it myself. because my service dealer to likes to tack on unnecessary miles! Crooks

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
New Si Sedan here

I have about 500 miles on mine and noticed a rattle in the center consider shift boot area
It's irritating

lilfeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2017 hatchback sport touring
Country flag
i had the A pillar rattle, confirmed it with business card work around, then had dealer replace the A pillar trim. Also had a buzz from tailgate - which they found and repaired with a new trim piece and a little foam tape for good measure. Was the wiper interior trim piece, which I am almost sure the tint guys screwed up. The honda tech said it looked like the trim anchors were reused. Figures. So far no new squeaks or buzzing. I had an 07 Rdx that I drove to 180k miles, and it never had a single buzz, rattle squeak from the interior trim. Best Honda I ever owned.

Dredogol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
I got my hatchback back in October 2016 (EXL-Navi)
It does this as well right around 1600-1800 RPMs at low speeds.
(haven't thought TOO much about it for the last 10 months)

IDK... but is this a reported problem with the 2016 Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe (haven't researched much yet)?

I can research if there is any countermeasure known...

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I had an 07 Rdx that I drove to 180k miles, and it never had a single buzz, rattle squeak from the interior trim. Best Honda I ever owned.
had a 95 sc300, no rattles. this hatch feels like it is made from a CHUNK or block of granite, it is so locked down feeling. No rattle on my hatch, born May 27, 2017.

Last edited:

Katrien

First Name
Katrien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 1,5
Country flag
I was just about to say it is the A-pillar, but you figured it out. I have the same issue. But i havmt taken it to dealer yet. Figured i fix it myself. because my service dealer to likes to tack on unnecessary miles! Crooks
had a 95 sc300, no rattles. this hatch feels like it is made from a CHUNK or block of granite, it is so locked down feeling. No rattle on my hatch, born May 27, 2017.
I have the same problem... It is driving me crazy...Our car is 4 months old...
Our dealer also says they cannot replicate the noise...
I will give them this information (A pillar) - hoping it will get solved soon.... :-(

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same problem... It is driving me crazy...Our car is 4 months old...
Our dealer also says they cannot replicate the noise...
I will give them this information (A pillar) - hoping it will get solved soon.... :-(
they always say "we cant replicate" smh

lilfeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2017 hatchback sport touring
Country flag
they always say "we cant replicate" smh
In this case that could be true, at least for my case. It was not a constant or had reproducible conditions. At a suggestion from another person on this forum, I used a business card to wedge between the a pillar and the horizontal surface of the dash. That eliminated the sound over a week or so of driving. I explained the situation to the service writer, they tried to reproduce and couldn't; so they ordered a replacement and now it's been quiet ever since.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Mine rattles right above the gear shifter; plastic trim that separates the rubber tray and the shift trim.

If I push down on that part while it rattles, it stops.

Wonder how hard it is to fix it

Car is about to weeks old.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In this case that could be true, at least for my case. It was not a constant or had reproducible conditions. At a suggestion from another person on this forum, I used a business card to wedge between the a pillar and the horizontal surface of the dash. That eliminated the sound over a week or so of driving. I explained the situation to the service writer, they tried to reproduce and couldn't; so they ordered a replacement and now it's been quiet ever since.
yea i hear yah. i think someone on here used a piece of foam....i think i my try that after the business card method

thanks

my car only bout 4 months old =(

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea i hear yah. i think someone on here used a piece of foam....i think i my try that after the business card method

thanks

my car only bout 4 months old =(
well, usually they are like that from the factory but actually it's not a big deal at all!

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a rattle/vibration coming from the rear of my Hatch when driving 50+mph. First thought it was license plate cover rattling. Then thought it was spoiler. Finally took it to dealer. After eliminating everything we could think it might be, service tech found a missing bolt on heat shield under car. Fixed and running quietly again!

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a rattle/vibration coming from the rear of my Hatch when driving 50+mph. First thought it was license plate cover rattling. Then thought it was spoiler. Finally took it to dealer. After eliminating everything we could think it might be, service tech found a missing bolt on heat shield under car. Fixed and running quietly again!
nice

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does anyone's engine make noise on acceleration?
ok well not noise...more like there's a baby aftermarket intake in the engine....

not sure if i'm explaining the sound right,

also im talking about like anywhere from 0-40mph. no stomping the peddle, just normal driving...
Sponsored