My 2017 EX-T Hatchback VIN Not Included in TSB 19-091 A/C Failure

Vantri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Aegean Blue
Country flag
On 8/30/2019, at 46,xxx miles, my 2017 Civic EX-T Hatchback a/c failed on the driver's side and then the passenger side the next day. In retrospect, the only symptom I recall was a water bubbling noise, only while the a/c was on, from the center vents the week prior.

I immediately contacted American Honda Motor Co and was advised my Civic's VIN is not included in the TSB 19-091 even though it is the 1.5L model. I just dropped it off at the dealer who advised the Hatchback has not been included in the TSB.

Please weigh-in if your a/c has failed and your VIN is not included in the TSB and if you have been successful getting your vehicle included under TSB 19-091.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vantri

Vantri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On 8/30/2019, at 46,xxx miles, my 2017 Civic EX-T Hatchback a/c failed on the driver's side and then the passenger side the next day. In retrospect, the only symptom I recall was a water bubbling noise, only while the a/c was on, from the center vents the week prior.

I immediately contacted American Honda Motor Co and was advised my Civic's VIN is not included in the TSB 19-091 even though it is the 1.5L model. I just dropped it off at the dealer who advised the Hatchback has not been included in the TSB.

Please weigh-in if your a/c has failed and your VIN is not included in the TSB and if you have been successful getting your vehicle included under TSB 19-091.
Dealer performed a diagnosis for $170.00. Compressor leaking and condenser also leaking in two spots. Dealership quoted a charge of $2,900 to replace both. Filed a case with American Honda Motor and they are offering a $250.00 deductible to replace condenser and compressor. I still can't believe my car is not covered by the TSB.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Dealer performed a diagnosis for $170.00. Compressor leaking and condenser also leaking in two spots. Dealership quoted a charge of $2,900 to replace both. Filed a case with American Honda Motor and they are offering a $250.00 deductible to replace condenser and compressor. I still can't believe my car is not covered by the TSB.
Sounds very "WRONG" -- don't they use the same basic Condenser & Compressor as all other 1.5L Civics ??

I have no personal experience with the Honda A/C system failures, but it seems to make logical sense to me, that if the Condenser leaks (Manufacturing or design issue) , and the Refrigerant (and it's oil), gets too low, then the lack of oil will potentially damage the compressor.

Again, I have had no reason to date to look into it, but surely the GenX Honda Civics have a Refrigerant Pressure switch, (like many other car A/C systems), that will prevent the A/C clutch from engaging, if the refrigerant is low.

Anyone know for sure, and also if that switch status is measured and available as an OBD2 parameter ? I seem to recall last time I was browsing OBD2 data for the civic, there was a "Refrigerant" parameter that did not seem to be supported by the GenX Honda Civic ??

( No oil Pressure or Oil temperature parameters supported as well - No corresponding sensor !!) :(

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Again, I have had no reason to date to look into it, but surely the GenX Honda Civics have a Refrigerant Pressure switch, (like many other car A/C systems), that will prevent the A/C clutch from engaging, if the refrigerant is low.
Just checked -- it does ... Both High & low pressure detection, that it feeds to the PCM.
Appears to be analogue Sensors, so there is a quantitative measurement of pressure, not just a SWITCH.
(so may be able to read over OBD2 ?)

10th Gen Honda Civic - A/C System Description - A/C Pressure Sensor

The A/C pressure sensor is attached to the discharge line on the inlet side of the A/C condenser. The sensor's output voltage changes in response to changes in A/C discharge pressure. The PCM receives the voltage signal and is used to drive the A/C compressor. The PCM controls the cooling fan(s). When the A/C system pressure rises to the upper limit, or decreases to the lower limit, the PCM stops the A/C compressor to protect the system.

Upper limit: 2,950 kPa (30.08 kgf/cm2, 427.9 psi) !!! :doh:

Lower limit: 196 kPa (2.00 kgf/cm2, 28.4 psi)

High speed fans switch point (dual fan type): 1,600 kPa (16.32 kgf/cm2, 232.1 psi)​

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds very "WRONG" -- don't they use the same basic Condenser & Compressor as all other 1.5L Civics ??

I have no personal experience with the Honda A/C system failures, but it seems to make logical sense to me, that if the Condenser leaks (Manufacturing or design issue) , and the Refrigerant (and it's oil), gets too low, then the lack of oil will potentially damage the compressor.

Anyone know for sure, and also if that switch status is measured and available as an OBD2 parameter ? I seem to recall last time I was browsing OBD2 data for the civic, there was a "Refrigerant" parameter that did not seem to be supported by the GenX Honda Civic ??

( No oil Pressure or Oil temperature parameters supported as well - No corresponding sensor !!) :(
Could be they source condensers and compressors from different vendors in different parts of the world. Being the hatch is made in England and not the US its possible hatch vins are not included bc the condensers come from a different vendor.

Filed a case with American Honda Motor and they are offering a $250.00 deductible to replace condenser and compressor. I still can't believe my car is not covered by the TSB.
If they are only charging you $250 total to replace it all, take that offer and let them do it. You wont get it done any cheaper especially since the tsb/extended warranty only covers the condenser and not the compressor

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I guess I've been lucky because I never in my life on this planet spent 1 cent on auto AC repair. But I would keep feeling lucky if they replaced my compressor and condenser at 46,xxx miles for $250. I would feel even more lucky if these were redesigned parts free of the original defects, if any, but you can't always win.....

OP
OP
Vantri

Vantri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could be they source condensers and compressors from different vendors in different parts of the world. Being the hatch is made in England and not the US its possible hatch vins are not included bc the condensers come from a different vendor.
Service manager advised both parts are the same model numbers as the sedans covered under the TSB. I can't argue the $250 isn't a good break on the compressor replacement but, my son's car has 197,xxx miles and the a/c is original and I'm the one driving around with my head out the window like our dog.

Niceshotwhatasave

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So how do you file a case with Honda? I’m taking mine in to get looked at today for failed A/C. If they tell me they need to repair it and it costs way more should I leave and then call someone at Honda? I’m very new to this.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
My condenser is leaking and the dealer says my hatchback is not covered. So either Honda makes unreliable crap or they are cheaters, or maybe both.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since this is fairly new, I think they may add the hatchback to the warranty later. If they don't it's my last Honda.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So how do you file a case with Honda? I’m taking mine in to get looked at today for failed A/C. If they tell me they need to repair it and it costs way more should I leave and then call someone at Honda? I’m very new to this.
There is a number in your owners manual regarding warranty that you can call.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone tried getting their hatchback covered by the TSB/extended warranty?

billyalice

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT, 1990 Celica All-Trac, 70 W-31
Country flag
This is a copy of the same reply listed in "A/C Repairs and Recharge"

I am the owner of a 2018 Civic Sport Hatch. The A/C began failing (49,500 mi.) getting warmer and warmer over 1 month (8/2020). I have read all the problems trying to get Honda to apply the TSB 19-091 which addresses failed condensers for 10 years.

What I did was to first call Honda America, explain the problem, and establish a complaint number. I was then told that the car would have to be inspected by a Honda service facility to determine what the problem was. There would be a $149.00 service fee. The TSB indicates that the VIN determines the eligibility of the vehicle. Initially I saw posts that the Hatchbacks were not covered because they were built in England even though the failed condenser is the same part number for coupes and sedans.

I was very fortunate to be called back by Katie of Honda America to find out if I had scheduled my service appointment yet. My 2 local dealerships were swamped with A/C service calls and the closest appointment was 2 months away. I was able to get a more timely appointment with Tarrytown Honda and gave them my complaint number from Honda America. Katie was quite thorough reviewing what would occur after the inspection. That if the condenser was the problem, Honda America would address the situation.
A long story made short, Tarrytown Honda made the inspection and repaired the A/C without a single phone call from me since they were already alerted that Honda America had an open complaint number on this vehicle.

Many thanks to Honda America (Katie), and Tarrytown Honda for resolving this issue.
Sponsored