My 2001 Civic will not start

wilmer007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I will try my best to explain my issue with my car.

last month the car would fail to start. called a mechanic and he checked everything out and said it was the fuel pump so i bought the fuel pump assembly and bam the car finally turned on. But it did take a few tries to get it going. So over the next few days i proceeded to turn the car on to keep the battery from dying and it began to become harder for it to turn on. i would have to hold the accelerator down and perhaps give it a few times to give it gas. it would turn on after the second or third try but it was so painful to get it going that the RPMs were so low that i had to hold the pedal down for about 10 seconds because it would try to shut off if i didn't, so that it could gain enough strength to idle on it's own.

after about the second or third day on turning it on for a few minutes it completely stopped turning on.

low story short the mechanic came by today and checked the pressure on all 4 cylinders and he said 3 of the 4 cylinders had no pressure and that the timing belt was fine aswell and not the issue. he said there might be bent valves in there and said this is all caused by old fuel that has been in the car. i asked him if tanking out the fuel tank and dumping all the gas out, draining all the fuel out and cleaning the fuel filterwould fix the issue and he didn't really say anything.

he said he had to take the car to his shop to continue to search for the problem and told me that the estimated cost of repairs was around $600. :(

i know cars to a certain degree but this out of my league and i'm wondering if maybe it might have something to do with the crank or cam shaft.

i want to make sure i am not being ripped off and if you guys might know what the problem is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase