Multiple Codes, No Power Steering - 2017 Civix Ex-T

Kum4224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey guys,

When I started my car this morning, I was welcomed with multiple warnings on my dash and a complete lack of power steering. The warnings I got included EPS problems, brake assist problems, brake hold problems, hill assist problems, and vehicle stability problems.

Along with these warnings, I have no more power steering (steering is super stiff, and I'm scared to actually drive it) and the brake hold feature is no longer working.

Any suggestions on what to do? So far all Ive done is disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to see if anything refreshes but of course, no luck.

I've heard some talk on this forum in regards to turbo solenoids being a culprit with this type of issue and other stuff but I'm not sure if that applies here.

Thanks!
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Can you give us more background info? Did you buy the car new? anything done to the car recently? did the engine still start with all the light showing?

If it is a sudden electronic issue, you would still have to take it to a shop for a detail diagnosis. we can only give you educated guess.

Last edited:

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
This is very common and happens for apparently no reason. Many bring it to the dealer and they've come back with several different diagnosis. I honestly don't even think the dealer knows. One guy on here had his whole engine replaced, only to have the same thing happen a month later.

I am out of warranty, so when it happened to me I just kept driving it and it went away on its own.
Happened to my co worker twice. First time they replaced fuel injectors. Couple months later it happened again and they replaced spark plugs. Then he said to hell with this and traded the car in on a ranger. Seems like the dealers just throw random parts at it.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
It sounds like a charge related issue.

The battery could be low or the battery sensor is incorrectly reporting it as such. I would run a cold test on the battery voltage, then do a load test and also monitor alternator voltage when the engine is running, looking for dips.

When you say "codes", have you actually scanned the OBD for errors? If so, what codes did you get?

That would just be a starting point with the info available right now. ?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Usually when you start the car and dash lights up like a Christmas tree you can: go for a drive to see if it clears itself which sometimes does happen, but if you notice power is lacking is in a limp mode because of a check engine light. It does it to protect the engine. Pull the code, search the issue, clear the code and car should be fine until the CEL comes back then it’ll be put in limp mode again.

Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Something similar happened to mine. I tried to turn it on one day and as it was starting, everything stopped all of a sudden and I had no electrical power at all, lights went off etc. I checked the battery cables and gave them a little squeeze and shake and then when I turned it on I got the same issue as you. All the warnings came on and I also had no power steering. Drove the car around a couple blocks and then turned it off. The next day I turned it on again and everything was fine again. This was a couple days after I brought the car in for hail damage repair so they must of had it sitting for a while (took them two weeks). It had to be battery related. It's been like 3 months since then and it hasn't happened again knock on wood. I checked for any codes and there weren't any.

OP
OP

Kum4224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Can you give us more background info? Did you buy the car new? anything done to the car recently? did the engine still start with all the light showing?

If it is a sudden electronic issue, you would still have to take it to a shop for a detail diagnosis. we can only give you educated guess.
Car was leased 3 years ago, and we just bought it out in June. Nothing was done to the car, its bone stock. Engine is starting just like normal. No other issues with the car except lack of power steering and all the other warnings. I'll do a test on the battery first and then check out what codes its throwing. I don't want to rush to take it to a dealership just yet.

OP
OP

Kum4224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
It sounds like a charge related issue.

The battery could be low or the battery sensor is incorrectly reporting it as such. I would run a cold test on the battery voltage, then do a load test and also monitor alternator voltage when the engine is running, looking for dips.

When you say "codes", have you actually scanned the OBD for errors? If so, what codes did you get?

That would just be a starting point with the info available right now. ?
I'm gonna test the voltage tomorrow and check out the codes and let you know. Really sucks cause we just bought out our lease and now this.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
When I started the car up and repeatedly pressed the "i" info/message button on the steering wheel, that's when the errors stopped flashing. It's been fine ever since, several months now.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
had similar issues and of course it was the battery. fixed that no issues 1 year later.

OP
OP

Kum4224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Okay so battery is fine, with the alternator its throwing 14.3 Volts.

Checked the DTC codes and I'm getting two. U0126, and C0051-96. Both are related to the steering angle sensor.

Any recommendations on what to do next before I just tow this thing into a dealership? I'm not gonna try driving it around cause with EPS issues, you never know when the steering will just completely fail and I end up in a ditch.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a dealer visit is probably in order here.

One idea before going to the dealer. A while back some guy lost power steering and took it in to the dealer. Turned out rodents had chewed through some wiring harnesses. Not saying that's your issue but since the battery is OK it might be worth a look.

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I'm gonna test the voltage tomorrow and check out the codes and let you know. Really sucks cause we just bought out our lease and now this.
Yeah sounds about right. 3 years is when the Honda battery starts failing. Even then it’s not that expensive to replace, just head to a Costco and it’ll be like 100.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
It happened to me once on the freeway. Everything was flashing and engine stopped giving power. Towed off the freeway and everything worked again.

OP
OP

Kum4224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sounds like a dealer visit is probably in order here.

One idea before going to the dealer. A while back some guy lost power steering and took it in to the dealer. Turned out rodents had chewed through some wiring harnesses. Not saying that's your issue but since the battery is OK it might be worth a look.
Dealership told me the exact same thing over the phone! Said that if it is rodents, then warranty won't cover it, and I should try going through my insurance cause it cost anywhere between $1000 and $6000.

Anyone know where to look under the car for wire damage? I can take a look to see if I can find chew marks or rodent dropping.
Sponsored