MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ?

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
Hello guys ! I want to buy the Mugen Hydrophilic LED side mirrors, but I am into a dilema, because I have blind spot assistent LED lights on my mirrors, and of course, I don’t want to give them up.
The only solution I see in my case, to be able to have all the OEM functions on the Mugen hydrophilic mirrors, seems to be to use the turning LED lights as blind spot assistent lights, but I don’t know if it works plug and play (meen the connectors are the same), or it will be necessary to adapt them somehow.
The only adapting I see is to connect the father conector of the Mugen LED turning signal cable to the car cable conector destinated to light the LED blind spot assistent, wich I presume it is a mother connector, but I am not sure that’s a mother connector, because I didn’t uninstall the mirrror from my car.
Does anyone have a photo of the back of a mirror with a blind spot assistent LED light ?
What do you think about this ?
Anybody had this experience before ?
Thank you very much.
This is the blind spot assistent led light:

Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? A3A7C008-ADFF-4EFC-916C-895894C9241E

Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? 770B4FDA-44BE-40A2-B876-7733AEA2B211

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Well, I can't answer your question because no Civic in North America was equipped with blind spot monitoring. I wonder if we could retrofit it from a European car? I wish we had it.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I believe with the 2020, you should be able to tap into the mirror side markers. It could be plug and play.

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe with the 2020, you should be able to tap into the mirror side markers. It could be plug and play.
No, I don’t think it will be plug and play, because the OEM mirrors of the 2020 model have the most probably father connectors (like the previous FK8 models-pre facelift models), and the Mugen mirrors have for sure mother connectors, like in the picture below :
Considering that, I think it will be necessary to get a short wire (use it like an adapter) and to install a mother connector at one end, and a father connector to the other end.
These are the mother connectors of the Mugen mirror :
Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? 7A33AE6F-1356-4862-8B87-DE49577657BA

And these are the father connectors of the OEM mirrors, but pre-facelift (not 2020) :
(I don’t know if those two father connectors are both for the heating, or one of them is for the blind spot assistent, but I presume both of them are for the heating.)
Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? 96AA023B-7640-4192-BF91-234CF6B7BC88

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I can't answer your question because no Civic in North America was equipped with blind spot monitoring. I wonder if we could retrofit it from a European car? I wish we had it.
I belive once with the 2020 face-lift model, all FK8 models sold on the american market was equiped with blind spot assistent mirror LED lights too.
But in Europe, the blind spot assistent mirror lights existed on the pre-facelift models too.
About a retrofit for the models wich doesn’t have this option, I think it is a little bit complicated and expensive to do it, but at the end, not imposible.
And, hahaha, I wish you to have this option, really I wish, but you know, we FK8 owners in Europe lack the subwoofer that American models had before the facelift, as they have now. Just kidding, but is true.
I believe that all FK8 models should have the same features, no matter the market are sold, but I think that by doing so, making a difference between markets, Honda balances production costs to maximize profits.

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I belive once with the 2020 face-lift model, all FK8 models sold on the american market was equiped with blind spot assistent mirror LED lights too.
But in Europe, the blind spot assistent mirror lights existed on the pre-facelift models too.
About a retrofit for the models wich doesn’t have this option, I think it is a little bit complicated and expensive to do it, but at the end, not imposible.
And, hahaha, I wish you to have this option, really I wish, but you know, we FK8 owners in Europe lack the subwoofer that American models had before the facelift, as they have now. Just kidding, but is true.
I believe that all FK8 models should have the same features, no matter the market are sold, but I think that by doing so, making a difference between markets, Honda balances production costs to maximize profits.
Nope. I have a 2020. No blind spot monitoring, but we did get Honda sensing finally.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Do you mean to flash the actual turn signal when blind spot kicks in? If so, that'll be illegal in the EU unless you add a separate side marker to replace its function so if you have a road worthiness test (NCT, MOT kinda test) you'll likely fail it. Police might give you trouble about it too.

My preference would be to add my own led to the mirror and tap it into the original blind spot feed. You could even put an LED strip behind it to give an overall glow around the mirror when blind spot flashes and you could have it a colour of your own choosing.

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you mean to flash the actual turn signal when blind spot kicks in? If so, that'll be illegal in the EU unless you add a separate side marker to replace its function so if you have a road worthiness test (NCT, MOT kinda test) you'll likely fail it. Police might give you trouble about it too.

My preference would be to add my own led to the mirror and tap it into the original blind spot feed. You could even put an LED strip behind it to give an overall glow around the mirror when blind spot flashes and you could have it a colour of your own choosing.
I meen to convert the 8 LED from the Mugen mirrors wich are on the glass, alocated to flash the turning signal TO light like blind spot assistent, because the Mugen mirrors doesn’t have LED for blind spot on the mirror’s glass.
Can you tell me why do you think it is not allowed such a modification, because the little LED lights are on the glass of the mirror, not on the car’s turn signals, wich remain unchanged ?

Last edited:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I meen to convert the 8 LED from the Mugen mirrors wich are on the glass, alocated to flash the turning signal TO light like blind spot assistent, because the Mugen mirrors doesn’t have LED for blind spot on the mirror’s glass.
Can you tell me why do you think it is not allowed such a modification, because the little LED lights are on the glass of the mirror, not on the car’s turn signals, wich remain unchanged ?
Oh I must have misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the turn signal on the outside of the mirror cover and I didn't realise the Mugen mirrors had LEDs in them. I thought they were just wider angle versions than OEM with a coating on them.

Tapping into the Mugen led will be straight-forward enough. I had a look at mine to see what connectors are on there and it's only a single 2 pin connector feeding the blind spot LED and it also has a connector inline too that makes it easy to access.

All you need to do is adapt the original blind spot plug (little 2 pin in the pic) to the new Mugen harness. I looked up the instructions for those mirrors and it seems they come with little harness adaptors (according to these Instructions).

You could just snip off the car end of the new adaptor harness (not the oem wiring) and tap it into the OEM blind spot plug wiring in my pic below. This would mean you'd actually require less disassembly than if you were to use the turn signals in the mirrors as intended.

Ignore the 2 spade connectors on the mirror for now. Those are for the heater element in the glass and it doesn't matter which way around they go.

Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? IMG_20201011_221641

##Editd 2 fix mi awfil speling##

Last edited:

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you only want them for the hydrophilic properties or the led signal? Why not just get the hydrophobic mirror films.

C$ 3.04 44% Off | Full Cover Anti Fog Film for Honda Civic 7 8 9 10 EU FB FK FA FD 2001~2019 Special Rearview Mirror Rainproof Anti-Fog Strickers
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNha5M7

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you only want them for the hydrophilic properties or the led signal? Why not just get the hydrophobic mirror films.

C$ 3.04 44% Off | Full Cover Anti Fog Film for Honda Civic 7 8 9 10 EU FB FK FA FD 2001~2019 Special Rearview Mirror Rainproof Anti-Fog Strickers
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNha5M7
I want them for the hydrophilic properties, because the image in the mirror is wider, for the blue tint, and of course, for the Mugen logo on the glass..., because I wish to see it all the time...?
I thought it will make a very nice set with my Mugen carbon fiber mirror covers.
Your suggestion with the hydrophobic mirror films is great, of course it will be a cheap solution to tint the mirrors, but I have doubts about how long they will resist on the mirrors.
I heard that such films doesn’t resist to much, because of the weather changes, pressure car washing, etc.
Thank you for the idea, I will think about it.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
I want them for the hydrophilic properties, because the image in the mirror is wider, for the blue tint, and of course, for the Mugen logo on the glass..., because I wish to see it all the time...?
I thought it will make a very nice set with my Mugen carbon fiber mirror covers.
Your suggestion with the hydrophobic mirror films is great, of course it will be a cheap solution to tint the mirrors, but I have doubts about how long they will resist on the mirrors.
I heard that such films doesn’t resist to much, because of the weather changes, pressure car washing, etc.
Thank you for the idea, I will think about it.

Those CF caps look great. Are they stuck on covers or direct replacements?

OP
OP
JDM Power

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those CF caps look great. Are they stuck on covers or direct replacements?
Mugen are stuck on covers, installed with pre-applied adhesive tape. There you can see how it looks on the edge.
Of course, this is the proper installation.
Honda Civic 10th gen MUGEN HYDROPHILIC LED SIDE MIRRORS- Do you think it works to adapt  the turning signal LED to light the blind spot assistent LED ? D07AC05E-A32A-4FBE-B197-9B07E81131B7

Last edited:

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Anyone seeing that light up could be confused to if you're turning or not. Spoon makes a nice stick-on set too.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Last edited: