First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Honda Civic 2019 Sport
Thinking about doing a muffler or resonator delete!? What’s y’all’s opinions? Any pros or cons?
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
  • If you can, find someone nearby that you can visit and see what theirs sounds like.
  • Youtube videos give you a fair idea of what it sounds like but they give you absolutely no idea how loud it really is.
  • Some people prefer the sound of res delete, some prefer muffler delete, and some like both. There can be really bad drone that some can tolerate and some cannot.
  • Regardless of what you have cut off, keep the part so you can have it welded back on if you don't like it after a few weeks.
  • Cold start can wake up all of your neighbors every morning. If you don't want your neighbors to hate you be very gentle on the gas when leaving the neighborhood.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Muffler delete will make the car louder but overall will have the same tone. If you don't change the exhaust piping or downpipe it honestly won't be that loud.

Don't delete the resonator, instead swap it with an aftermarket resonator for a more aggressive tone.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
Hey, I see you have the same car as me! I have had a muffler delete on my 2.0l sport for a while now, no issues. Gas mileage went up, has a nice deep growl and is not too loud/droney

Heres my vid

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Do not delete the resonator if you are not willing to have a loud annoying sound at cruising speed on the highway.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
general consensus when I researched this on here like a year or so ago was if you have a CVT (like your profile says) to NOT DO IT, they say you will get an annoying drone at cruising RPM on the highway, the drone isn't an issue for manual transmission guys because they can pick a different gear to be in to change the RPM range and avoid the 2k RPM Drone.

OP
OP

2019sportx

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L CVT
Country flag
general consensus when I researched this on here like a year or so ago was if you have a CVT (like your profile says) to NOT DO IT, they say you will get an annoying drone at cruising RPM on the highway, the drone isn't an issue for manual transmission guys because they can pick a different gear to be in to change the RPM range and avoid the 2k RPM Drone.
What if you got paddle shifters?

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I have a 2020 2.0NA, and I swapped out the stock muffler for a 2.25" coffin muffler, and originally deleted the resonator. 3 weeks later I installed a performance resonator. There is so much drone with you remove the resonator, you won't enjoy driving the car, especially during long distance. This is my car after the resonator delete and muffler swap:

koolkeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch
Country flag
  • If you can, find someone nearby that you can visit and see what theirs sounds like.
  • Youtube videos give you a fair idea of what it sounds like but they give you absolutely no idea how loud it really is.
  • Some people prefer the sound of res delete, some prefer muffler delete, and some like both. There can be really bad drone that some can tolerate and some cannot.
  • Regardless of what you have cut off, keep the part so you can have it welded back on if you don't like it after a few weeks.
  • Cold start can wake up all of your neighbors every morning. If you don't want your neighbors to hate you be very gentle on the gas when leaving the neighborhood.
This is great practical advice. Thank you :)

Deleted member 51112

Adds no power, just adds drone and makes normal car people hate you so I say drop the sawzall and back away slowly...LOL

Honda Civic 10th gen Muffler or resonator delete? 22k7c2

NightFuryEXT

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 1.5 Turbo EXT Coupe
Country flag
I got rid of both. I find it nice and quiet.... but my last car had about 18in of exhaust off of the turbo so.... I guess everything is quiet after that haha.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I saw your post, those came to my mind

Honda Civic 10th gen Muffler or resonator delete? RDT_20210827_1734555967582675427452230

Honda Civic 10th gen Muffler or resonator delete? RDT_20210827_173504599314160578293938

Honda Civic 10th gen Muffler or resonator delete? RDT_20210827_1735165931738264264386177

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have a 2.0na and a whole host of mods. add ktuner, louder. Add intake, much louder and awaken engine, then add custom exhaust even more louder. And finally rv6 downpipe, again louder and now though rpm bands of drone.

I recently added an Si RMM with insert. And it now has markedly lessen drone. 30/40% at least if not 50%+. I am pretty happy about that. I mean it is markedly improvement. ALOT.

long winded story is RMM improved drone significantly.

I have a 1.5t sport touring civic also. And that car has a type r RMM with insert and it has NVH. It’s all livable for me. I mod my cars not to go 0-60 in 2 seconds. I mod my cars for it to drive better. The overall driving experience, whether it be handling, smoothness, power delivery, overall driving dynamics and manners.
So NVH, drone, it’s there and it probably would bother people, but they definitely are not to the levels that are unbearable. It’s a civic afterall, and I don’t have a 800hp American muscle car.

anyways, the Si RMM is definitely a solid happy medium. It’s not desirable and is cheap. $30/50. But there is still a solid performance improvement. I have the 2.0na, I don’t make huge power but I still wanted better power delivery and performance improvement. I would recommend this cheap and easy mod to attack drone.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
One last thing on the Si RMM. I have very minimal NVH in reverse, but otherwise, it is totally silent. No NVH at all otherwise.
Sponsored