muffler delete vs. resonator delete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic ex, 2018 civic si, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawk
Country flag
I'm trying to decide between a muffler delete or a resonator delete. I've seen a bunch of videos of both and they all sound the same and I can't tell how much louder it really is from the video. On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the loudest, lets say stock exhaust is about a 4. What would a muffler delete be? What would a resonator delete be? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally have the muffler delete and kept the resonator. There is ZERO drone, it sounds aggressive and I get light popping when letting off the throttle. I have had other 10th Gens pull up to me on the freeway and ask what exhaust I have. It's not loud, but it sounds clean. If the stock is a 4 on your meter, this would be like a 7-8. It is totally manageable as a daily setup.

As for resonator delete, the vids I could find didn't sound much louder than stock. I'd rather do the muffler delete.

Now, for muffler & resonator delete, every single video and car I've heard sounded like garbage in my opinion. It was the "typical ricer fart can" sound. And you could even hear the drone in the videos.

Example video of muffler delete:

Example video of resonator delete:

Example video of resonator & muffler delete:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScarySnowflakes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic ex, 2018 civic si, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawk
Country flag
I personally have the muffler delete and kept the resonator. There is ZERO drone, it sounds aggressive and I get light popping when letting off the throttle. I have had other 10th Gens pull up to me on the freeway and ask what exhaust I have. It's not loud, but it sounds clean. If the stock is a 4 on your meter, this would be like a 7-8. It is totally manageable as a daily setup.

As for resonator delete, the vids I could find didn't sound much louder than stock. I'd rather do the muffler delete.

Now, for muffler & resonator delete, every single video and car I've heard sounded like garbage in my opinion. It was the "typical ricer fart can" sound. And you could even hear the drone in the videos.

Example video of muffler delete:

Example video of resonator delete:

Example video of resonator & muffler delete:
"It is totally manageable as a daily setup." That's pretty much exactly what i wanted to hear! thank you

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I like the idea of loosing 40 lbs and removing muffler only. Cheap and very effective! I am very much in favor of not paying a thousand for a cat back ... for me it's a done deal ... and ... I have yet to obtain my 2019 coupe Si ... looking forward to June 2019.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
LOL ... 112 in high school ... 116 when I got married in 1996 ... currently 143 pounds ... so ... yes ... maybe not 40 pounds but I need to get busy on the low carbs ... the MUFFLER assembly costs 40 pounds to the CARS weight!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
LOL ... 112 in high school ... 116 when I got married in 1996 ... currently 143 pounds ... so ... yes ... maybe not 40 pounds but I need to get busy on the low carbs ... the MUFFLER assembly costs 40 pounds to the CARS weight!
How tall are you? Do you eat? Lol

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha, I'm in one of those videos. :D

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Sorry for the stupid question but does doing either of these things screw up emission testing?

Does the muffler really weigh 40 lbs? I think you could almost feel that weight loss in the driving dynamics; although after owning a way-too-loud stage 3 turbo car... i'm not sure I wanna deal with a loud car again.

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the stupid question but does doing either of these things screw up emission testing?
Nope.

Does the muffler really weigh 40 lbs? I think you could almost feel that weight loss in the driving dynamics; although after owning a way-too-loud stage 3 turbo car... i'm not sure I wanna deal with a loud car again.
MufflerS. There's two of those big heavy bastards back there. I didn't weigh mine on a scale, but yeah, both of them together is easily 40 pounds.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
on average how much would a shop charge to do muffler delete?

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
on average how much would a shop charge to do muffler delete?
My resonator delete was $80. When I went back to do a muffler replacement (didn't delete, just added a Vibrant 1040 in place of the stock mufflers) that was another $80.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
My resonator delete was $80. When I went back to do a muffler replacement (didn't delete, just added a Vibrant 1040 in place of the stock mufflers) that was another $80.
did you take your stock mufflers home with you after?
Sponsored