Muffler Delete new pipe size

tsc061003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey all,

So I'm planning to do a muffler delete on my 2020 si sedan but had a question about the size of the new piping. I also want to put new tips on to get rid of the HDMI port but I want to make sure I order the right size inlet.

I read on another thread that the muffler outlet and stock tip inlet size is 2.25", but the muffler inlet is 60mm which is closer around 2 3/8". For anyone who has done a muffler delete, did you replace them with 2.25" piping like what is stock after the muffler, or did you do 2.5"?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help!
Sponsored

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Why a muffler delete? Buzzy engines aren't good sounding at all.

OP
OP

tsc061003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Why a muffler delete? Buzzy engines aren't good sounding at all.
Personally I think it sounds quite good and not buzzy, but the real reason I am getting it is a cheap way to increase the sound for a while until I can get a full exhaust system over the summer. No worries if you want to stay stock though, thank you for your input. I was mostly interested in people who could help answer my question, not post the same negativity you see on every muffler delete thread.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
I'd leave it alone until you can do it right. Louder is fine, but every exhaust delete I've seen has been raspy and buzzy. Obnoxious and embarrassing. A good deep rumble is very fulfilling. That deleted muffler signature angry housefly in a coffee can sound is the cliche Honda fanboy note that only kids salivate and jerk each other off over.

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
I'd leave it alone until you can do it right. Louder is fine, but every exhaust delete I've seen has been raspy and buzzy. Obnoxious and embarrassing. A good deep rumble is very fulfilling. That deleted muffler signature angry housefly in a coffee can sound is the cliche Honda fanboy note that only kids salivate and jerk each other off over.
Projecting? Muffler delete on the Si sounds literally nothing like you just described.

OP
OP

tsc061003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Respectfully, I disagree. I have done many hours of research and watched every video I can find and to me, it sounds plenty good enough to hold me over until I can get a full exhaust. If you ever see me driving around with a muffler delete, feel free to laugh at how embarrassing it sounds. Now if you cannot help answer my original question on the size of the new piping, thank you for giving your opinion, and have fun with your SI!

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you hear it in person, a cell phone mic will not be an accurate way to know what it will sound like.

I actually encountered an Si in the wild with a muffler delete and I wasn't really a fan. Not as bad as the "fart can" sound, but was close. It was kind of loud and obnoxious, but not buzzy.

OP - if I were you, just save up for the aftermarket catback of your choice and then sell your OEM one if you don't plan on reverting to stock.

Found this in 2 seconds: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-sedan-stock-exhaust-measurements.52945/

OP
OP

tsc061003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Unless you hear it in person, a cell phone mic will not be an accurate way to know what it will sound like.

I actually encountered an Si in the wild with a muffler delete and I wasn't really a fan. Not as bad as the "fart can" sound, but was close. It was kind of loud and obnoxious, but not buzzy.

OP - if I were you, just save up for the aftermarket catback of your choice and then sell your OEM one if you don't plan on reverting to stock.

Found this in 2 seconds: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-sedan-stock-exhaust-measurements.52945/
You're right it will sound different in person, but I've heard enough people be happy with it that I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm still in college, so whether I do the muffler delete or save my money, I won't have any income until summer so either way, I have to wait the same amount of time to get a full exhaust system. To me, it's worth the risk that I don't like it for the strong chance I do and will have more fun with the car over the next 6-8 months. This will also be my first modded car, so I suspect I won't be as picky or even know what makes an exhaust sound good as many of you seem to.

As for your answer, I have seen that post. That is the one I was referring to if you read my initial post. I am still confused though because it says that the inlet pipe to the stock tip is 2.25", but the inlet for the muffler is ~2 3/8" which is not a common tip size. Obviously, if I was keeping the stock tips, I would know they will use 2.25" piping. However, because I want to change the tips anyways, I can get them in 2.25" or 2.5" so I was wondering what size piping others have used coming out of the y-pipe, or if it even mattered. Everything from the split back to the resonator is oval-shaped according to that thread, so that isn't much help.
Sponsored