First Name
Isaias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Help me out here,

New to the car scene, I have a 2018 Si and thinking about doing a muffler delete but curious if anyone has done a dB level test. Due to the new law in California, I don’t want to end up paying 1000 bucks for a fine. I know there are other options but muffler delete seems like cheapest route and sounds amazing from what I’ve heard from a buddies Si and YouTube videos. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Help me out here,

New to the car scene, I have a 2018 Si and thinking about doing a muffler delete but curious if anyone has done a dB level test. Due to the new law in California, I don’t want to end up paying 1000 bucks for a fine. I know there are other options but muffler delete seems like cheapest route and sounds amazing from what I’ve heard from a buddies Si and YouTube videos. Thanks in advance.
just put an electronic exhaust dump on it.

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
I know there are other options but muffler delete seems like cheapest route and sounds amazing from what I’ve heard from a buddies Si and YouTube videos. Thanks in advance.
Your logic makes no sense. You're going to risk $1,000+ to save a few bucks. The cheapest route is to get a proper catback.

Also, if you haven't read, the old 1998 law, running your car without a muffler has been illegal. Not only will you get a noise level ticket, you're also going to get another ticket for not running a muffler.

That said I had my setup for about 8 months and even went on a roadtrip to California and was never bothered by police. I drove the car like an adult and had a feather foot any time I was near police or residential areas so I don't think I bothered anyone. I've cruised next to police for 20 minutes at a time on roadways with no issue.
CHP and local police has been given grant money to write tickets for anyone in violation of this old law. This means, police will be on the lookout and "overtime" means more money for the officer.

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
I don't have my Si anymore but I did have a muffler and resonator delete for a time when I did. It sounded fantastic but it was properly loud. I couldn't say how much quieter if any it would be with just the mufflers gone but keeping the resonator.

If it's anything as loud as mine was I think any officer who is deliberately looking to go after someone with a loud car wouldn't hesitate to pull you over.

That said I had my setup for about 8 months and even went on a roadtrip to California and was never bothered by police. I drove the car like an adult and had a feather foot any time I was near police or residential areas so I don't think I bothered anyone. I've cruised next to police for 20 minutes at a time on roadways with no issue.

I'm in Texas and people do muffler deletes on their trucks here all the time. Your mileage may vary. I would say only get the muffler delete if you are prepared to pay the fine.
yeah but you went on that road trip before Jan 1st 2019.

pretty sure dude will get pulled over and fined now though.

SoCal guys,

if my car is registered in texas and i drive to cali for a few days will i get fined too for having an aftermarket exhaust?

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Help me out here,

For the millionth time; The ticket is not $1000. It can be UP TO $1000 depending on offense. Tickets are averaging around $150-$200 from friends I know who have gotten them. Second, the muffler delete alone is not loud enough to warrant the ticket. However, cops who don't know better and hear the crackle and pop from the car will say "that's not normal. Here's a ticket". They're banking on the fact that you are not going to fight it. When I had the muffler delete, CHP and Police didn't even look at me. But when the car crackled and popped, they looked over.

SoCal guys,

if my car is registered in texas and i drive to cali for a few days will i get fined too for having an aftermarket exhaust?
You'll be fine. Out of state vehicles are exempt. It's not the exhaust itself that is illegal. It's the noise pollution above 95db. To give you an idea of how stupid that is, a single clap of hands can break 95db.

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
For the millionth time. The ticket is not $1000. It can be UP TO $1000 depending on offense. Tickets are averaging around $150-$200 from friends I know who have gotten them. Second, the muffler delete alone is not loud enough to warrant the ticket. However, cops who don't know better and hear the crackle and pop from the car will say "that's not normal. Here's a ticket". They're banking on the fact that you are not going to fight it. When I had the muffler delete, CHP and Police didn't even look at me. But when the car crackled and popped, they looked over.

You'll be fine. Out of state vehicles are exempt. It's not the exhaust itself that is illegal. It's the noise pollution above 95db. To give you an idea of how stupid that is, a single clap of hands can break 95db.

thank you very much for the clarification!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Help me out here,

If you go with a muffler delete, ffs don't do the resonator delete It sounds terrible. Every single video I've seen with both done sounds raspy. I did the muffler delete and I think it sounds great. Can't see myself paying a bunch of money for an exhaust unless I feel like going 3" in the future. That being said, it's definitely louder than stock and the crackle and rumble might get the wrong attention.

lucke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe, 2007 LBP S2000, 2017 MLP CR-V Touring
To give you an idea of how stupid that is, a single clap of hands can break 95db.
i'm sorry, but this is completely wrong.

https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-suddenly-freaking-out-over-californias-e-1831620651
Jalopnik said:
So 95 dB is pretty darn loud. OSHA requires hearing protection for workers who are subjected to an average of 85 db over an eight-hour shift. A jet airplane taking off 82 feet away is supposed to be 150 dB; loud enough to rupture your eardrum. Purdue University has a nice chart if you want some more examples.

For some automotive reference–according to the United Kingdom’s Vehicle Certification Agency, a Jaguar F-Type SVR receives a noise rating of 74 dB. And that has the loudest factory exhaust, I think, I’ve ever heard.
basically, if it hurts your ears inside the car, it's probably way too loud, but cops can (and will) pull over anyone doing stupid crap with anything that looks like an aftermarket exhaust.
Sponsored