First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So ive had my car for 2 months to the day today and after reading these fourms im concerned im not getting the mpg i should.

I have 2800 miles on the car and i have gotten an overall mph of 31.3, it seems like most people here get 38-40.

I know ive read that the mpg improves after the first oil change but is it that much of an improvement?

As far as my driving habits im a pretty conservative driver but will give it a bit of gas sometimes. Most of my driving is done around 55mph on back roads with minimal stops. When up to speed and cruising my mpg bar is typically inbetween 40-80, i usually call it 60 because its right in the middle but i still only ever get 30-31 mpg per tank.

Usually filled with premium gas, always from a top tier gas station

2018 hatchback sport 6mt stock.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
people that usually get 38-40 is on flat roads cruising on the highway
Should of mentioned i live in the midwest, i drive on a hill maybe once a week for like 30 feet.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
So ive had my car for 2 months to the day today and after reading these fourms im concerned im not getting the mpg i should.

I have 2800 miles on the car and i have gotten an overall mph of 31.3, it seems like most people here get 38-40.
People exaggerate on the internet.
The mileage that you are getting is normal for your conditions.
(People who drive most of their miles in large congested situations like NYC get in the low 20s)
For your stated driving conditions, I would expect that you would get around 30 mpg or maybe slightly more.

We get these "I don't get the same mileages that I see here. Is there something wrong with my car. " threads ALL THE TIME !

The "EPA estimates" are almost always exaggerations as well. The driving conditions when they test the cars for mileage are not real world conditions. They drive the cars like little old ladies and never spool up the turbo. The EPA claims 35 mpg combined. You should expect a bit less than that in real world conditions.

"Fuelly" gives an overall average of 32 mpg. This includes all types of driving conditions.
This is more believable than what you read on the internet.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2018

Don't believe what you read on the internet. Be especially wary of anyone who claims to get 40 mpg in "mixed driving conditions". These cars can only get 40 mpg in 90% + highway driving. Any significant "stop and go" kills the mileage. There is nothing wrong with your car or the way that you drive.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As far as mileage, there are so many factors. My guess is the reason your mileage "seems" lower than expected may be the fact you've only driven it in mostly colder weather. Also how long are your drives? If they are less than 7-8 miles, your engine is barely reaching normal operating temperature which will reduce MPG's.

OP
OP

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, i did not think about the cold weather affecting mpg so that could be it since it seems like we have been stuck in an eternal winter this year.

My commute to work is 20 miles each way so i definitely warm up the car. But i will admit i do not like using econ, only gets used when im on the highway which is not too often.

Seems like the consensus is im getting pretty average mpg.

Thanks for all the information, this is a great fourm im new to the honda family and have never had a car that actually tells me the mpg, im used to my last car a vw rabbit that had recently dipped from 24 mpg to around 19 when i got rid of it (had to actually use math with each fill up to keep track of that) so i may be a bit over critical of my mpg.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, i did not think about the cold weather affecting mpg so that could be it since it seems like we have been stuck in an eternal winter this year.

My commute to work is 20 miles each way so i definitely warm up the car. But i will admit i do not like using econ, only gets used when im on the highway which is not too often.

Seems like the consensus is im getting pretty average mpg.

Thanks for all the information, this is a great fourm im new to the honda family and have never had a car that actually tells me the mpg, im used to my last car a vw rabbit that had recently dipped from 24 mpg to around 19 when i got rid of it (had to actually use math with each fill up to keep track of that) so i may be a bit over critical of my mpg.
My overall for 9k miles is 40.6 according to the car (I don't calculate it by hand). For the hell of it I reset the B trip a while back and the last 1300 miles was 41.7. I drive 23 miles each way to work, probably 50% of that at 65mph, 25% at 50, and 25% city stop and go. Zero complaints from me as to fuel economy in the Si. :thumbsup:

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
If I drive really conservative no giving gas, essentially hypermiling, push in clutch when going downhill and vary in speed on highway between 55-75 depending on where my mpg gauge is at I have gotten 40 before, however normal driving and having a little fun with car I’m at 32-35 and I drive highway a lot. 40mpg was like second week I owned it just to see what it could do. Always premium 91-94 since I emptied free dealer gas on first drive home.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mpg question 5284D2E6-5486-44FA-8D97-1DFFF9F2671C

OP
OP

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I drive really conservative no giving gas, essentially hypermiling, push in clutch when going downhill and vary in speed on highway between 55-75 depending on where my mpg gauge is at I have gotten 40 before, however normal driving and having a little fun with car I’m at 32-35 and I drive highway a lot. 40mpg was like second week I owned it just to see what it could do. Always premium 91-94 since I emptied free dealer gas on first drive home.

5284D2E6-5486-44FA-8D97-1DFFF9F2671C.jpeg
What app is that?!?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Myself and my friend both got 2017 Civics with the 2 liter and we have the opposite driving conditions to the same place of employment and drive about the same distance to get to work. I have hilly stretches on my route and vary from 50 kph to 100 kph. His route is flat and has a very consistent 80 kph both ways. I get about 26 to 30 mpg (I did the math for you). He gets about 34 mpg. I recently took the car on a 16 hour round trip that had me on the I95 and able to do a nice clip. Averaged over 70 mph and was pushing 35 mpg even with a roof box on the car. The highest I have managed was on a simple day trip at 110 kph and pulled almost 37 mpg. No roof box and no weight overloading at all, just two passengers.

I won't swear to it, but for the last couple months, I have been only using 91 octane so I can avoid the ethanol and I am convinced I am getting better fuel economy. Either way, gas is so damned expensive in Canada, paying the little extra is not so bad and I really hate the ethanol. It is less energy dense so it is cheating you of something.

Keep the eco mode on and don't race everywhere (Which I know is a hard thing to avoid where the car just seems to beg you to drive it a little aggressively). Also note that if you use the remote start, all that idle time is calculated into your estimated trip efficiency so there is some fudge factor in there for us winter folks in that I would prefer that it doesn't factor the deliberate idling in as part of the economy.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've driven my new Civic EX-T 126 miles so far. Filled up for my first time and did the math. I'm getting 43 MPG. The digital displays says 29.5 MPG. Kind confused why it's such a huge difference. I'm happy though, my Chevy Cruze got poor mileage, lower than EPA estimate.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've driven my new Civic EX-T 126 miles so far. Filled up for my first time and did the math. I'm getting 43 MPG. The digital displays says 29.5 MPG. Kind confused why it's such a huge difference. I'm happy though, my Chevy Cruze got poor mileage, lower than EPA estimate.
That's really odd because I tend to get lower mileage than what the car's trip computer says.

Congrats on the new ride. It's a big upgrade over the Cruze. ;)

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Cold weather and short trips kill mileage. Takes a lot of fuel to heat up the motor and fluids. It's a big heat sink and until warm Its robbing the engine of power. Plus it runs slightly richer until warm to prevent knocking.

I drive mostly highway and don;t see over 35mpg until I'm 15 miles down the road. In warm weather or with the engine warm I can be near 40mpg within 5-8 miles.
Sponsored