MPG Down after Cobra CAI Install

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I've had the PRL Cobra CAI installed on my 2018 Civic Sport Hatch MT for about a month now and am definitely liking the part. At first I was mashing around quite a bit but then decided to start driving normally on a new tank of gas. I've noticed even after resetting my MPG, and driving the car as normal as possible, nothing too spirited--MPG has gone way down.

I was averaging anywhere from 36-39 MPG with the stock airbox, and now I'm consistently down to 26-27 MPG with regular driving. Is a 10 MPG cut to be expected? I remember reading a few MPG posts and I don't recall too many people having that much of a cut in MPG after install. Same route to work and stops like usual.

BTW, I do run the Hondata FlashPro +6 and decided to use the app for it to look at STFT and LTFT. I noticed STFT is at times cutting all the way to -14, and adds up to around 6. LTFT looks to be going +-5 or so with regular driving.

I did run a handful of data logs although I'm having trouble updating the FlashPro software and pulling the data logs to post them. I'll try to get those up as soon as I can.

My understanding is STFT shouldn't ever be more than +-10, and Long Term should not be more than +-3 on these cars.

I know it's premature to say without looking at the logs, but is there anything to possibly change/check to improve my MPG, or is this what I have to live with when running this part?
Sponsored

2018Si_NY

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Country flag
Sounds like your driving I have tsp stage 1 and when I use the lowest setting for the tune I still get phenomenal mpg like 35 area and with the highest tune and spirited driving I get like 15 mph

OP
OP

dank82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Sounds like your driving I have tsp stage 1 and when I use the lowest setting for the tune I still get phenomenal mpg like 35 area and with the highest tune and spirited driving I get like 15 mph
I'm guessing you also have a Cobra CAI? I've been running the +6 tune for close to a couple years and my MPG has never been that low.

Like I said, I've been driving normally, and it still stays in the sub-30 range. Just wondering if there's anyone else who has experienced the same thing after putting in the CAI.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
STFTs will certainly swing +/- 15% or more. STFT really swings a lot under sudden throttle transitions. It sounds like your LTFTs are fine. For reference, on my stock intake, during colder weather my LTFTs are around 0, but during hot/humid summer weather I'm typically around -6%. Do you have the Race MAF or standard?
Sponsored