Moving to Colorado for the Winter (Tire recommendations)

Chr0meSplAt

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Calling all FK owners! I’m moving out to Denver for the winter, and will be spending half of my time driving up to the mountains to ski, and half of it to work locally. I’ve done my research on which snow tires would be for my car (2020 hatch sport,) but I wanted to hear from any fellow FK owners who do similar commutes, and what winter tires you guys recommend. Thank you!
Sponsored

ManuGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-T & '02 Mazda Miata LS
Country flag
Hello,

I have lived in Colorado for about 10 years and while I just bought my Civic, I've had Bridgestone Blizzaks on all my cars. I've had the WS80, WS90 and the DMV-V2 (for my SUV) and I have been extremely happy with them. Great handling, excellent snow capabilities, and good durability. The limiting factor will be ground clearance.

I cannot recommend any other tires, I had Michelins X-Ice and I didn't think they were as good as the Blizzaks for the Colorado winters.

I hope this helps!

dirty_civic

First Name
Dirty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Same as above. Have lived in CO for 15 years and have ran Blizzaks (different models) on all my cars. My BMW 335 AWD was a tank on those tires. I have also ran them on 3 different civics, a GTI, and a Camry. For around the city, I think they are a bit of an overkill, for most winters here, but if you plan to head to the mountains, they could worth it. I haven't been up into the mountains in a bit but I think they changed the laws that you need snow tires or chains to go through the pass when chain laws are in effect.

I have heard good things about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3.

Just remember to swap them out when the weather gets warm or you will destroy the tread life. I usually get about 4-5 season on mine. I also run a separate set of wheels that are a dedicated winter set so I can quickly swap them on/off when needed.
Sponsored