Moving on from the FK8, but the memories are grand (and the depreciation is negligible!)

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I just wanted to say this has been an awesome community and point of reference for nearly every single question I have had regarding my Type R over the years. I got into this as a guy who loved Japanese performance vehicles in the 90's when I was a teenager but could never afford them. The Type R basically revved me up in a variety of my interests -- canyon carving, big wing, Japanese performance vehicle, underdog who punches into higher weight classes, etc. I spent the last couple of years really modding it out and perfecting it for what I wanted it to be, but in the end I have a different life and family than I did when I purchased it. So another vehicle was necessary and I am moving on. Most anything I would have to say about the car has been said before by previous owners, but I will note that 3rd gear in the R will always hold a special place in my heart. That and the giant wing are what made me a happy man the past few years (p.s. I don't give a shit what others say about the looks of the R, it's a gloriously beautiful Decepticon that I will never forget and loved to look at).

In the end, I sold her for roughly $500 less than I purchased her for. And that was from a Carvana offer! Carvana actually offered me more this week than they did the first month I purchased the car by nearly two grand (I'm a sucker for data and always want to know what my car's value is, so I was constantly checking in the past two years). Sometimes it's just fun to beat these type of companies at their own game, and this certainly felt like one of those wins. I told my dad this story and he was like "How in the world did you do that?!" And I had to tell him that the Type R was a special car with a lot of interesting circumstances. I certainly hoped this would be the case when I bought the vehicle 2 years ago, but you can never bank on this type of negligible depreciation. Honestly, it's pretty awesome, and I am grateful for the serendipity. It just happens that a semi-rare Decepticon-looking car that drives like its on rails was exactly the thing that would hold value in today's market. Yay for us!

Edited to remove parts notes as I wasn't trying to make a sales post. Apologies.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude did you have a modern day Partridge family? Are you getting and Odessey?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Uh this car is a hatchback with 2 seats in the back how is it not a family car?

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Uh this car is a hatchback with 2 seats in the back how is it not a family car?
I didn't say it wasn't a family car. I just said my family is different now (i.e. its needs have changed.) My son was recently diagnosed with a disability. It is difficult for me to help him out in his car set while rowing gears. Love the car, but it just didn't work for me to responsibly be able to help him out a bit when necessary while driving. I didn't want to draw attention to this, but apparently the only sentence that anyone read in my entire post concerned my family which was then wrongly extrapolated.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I didn't say it wasn't a family car. I just said my family is different now (i.e. its needs have changed.) My son was recently diagnosed with a disability. It is difficult for me to help him out in his car set while rowing gears. Love the car, but it just didn't work for me to responsibly be able to help him out a bit when necessary while driving. I didn't want to draw attention to this, but apparently the only sentence that anyone read in my entire post concerned my family which was then wrongly extrapolated.
I understand and I wish you the best

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
No hard feelings. I was just being a goof. Best wishes

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We can be a bunch of goofballs in here but wish your son and your family all the best!

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Are you getting and Odessey?
I bought a used 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance (Stealth version with 18" rims) with only 9K miles on it. The single automatic gear for the motors plus the Autopilot really helps with my son vs. rowing gears in the R. Plus, it goes pretty fast off the line. See you at the drag strip :)

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
$500 less than purchase?!
I am helluva surprised about that.
A buddy of mine traded in his Civic Si a year later (up-sized to an MDX), he lost a couple $1000's.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad you got to be part of a very special community. Best to you, your family, and your all torque, all the time Tesla. As for resale value, the CTR I bought one year ago looks to be going for exactly what I paid for it, even with 9,000 more miles. And I agree, these are beautiful cars.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
$500 less than purchase?!
I am helluva surprised about that.
A buddy of mine traded in his Civic Si a year later (up-sized to an MDX), he lost a couple $1000's.
It surprised me as well to a degree. Knowing I was going to be selling the car, I've been checking with Carvana bi-weekly for the past 6 weeks for quotes. And each offer has been higher than the last. They offered more than either Tesla (had I bought new) or the dealership where I found my used Tesla by nearly $2K.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Glad you got to be part of a very special community. Best to you, your family, and your all torque, all the time Tesla. As for resale value, the CTR I bought one year ago looks to be going for exactly what I paid for it, even with 9,000 more miles. And I agree, these are beautiful cars.
I am also extremely glad to have been a part of this community. It's amazing the amount of knowledge and passion that consumes this board. I am grateful for all that was imparted to me in the past two years. And hell yes the Type R is beautiful. It was inspiring to walk up to at the end of every work day.
Sponsored