First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey all,

In about 2 months, I will be shipping my car to Hawaii (Oahu) courtesy of the US Navy. As such, I'm hoping my you guys can help me prepare for that.

What does the process look like once it is on island? Saw something about an inspection and then re-registering my car. The inspection bit is foreign to me as my home state doesn't do anything like that. What all needs doing right away?

2nd bit. What do I need to know about restrictions in Hawaii? Exhaust, specifically. I definitely have been planning on a new exhaust for awhile, but I don't need any problems with the state.....

Any help or insight is much appreciated!
Sponsored

Moose328

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey all,

In about 2 months, I will be shipping my car to Hawaii (Oahu) courtesy of the US Navy. As such, I'm hoping my you guys can help me prepare for that.

What does the process look like once it is on island? Saw something about an inspection and then re-registering my car. The inspection bit is foreign to me as my home state doesn't do anything like that. What all needs doing right away?

2nd bit. What do I need to know about restrictions in Hawaii? Exhaust, specifically. I definitely have been planning on a new exhaust for awhile, but I don't need any problems with the state.....

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Hey bud, I PCS'd here about 7 months ago (Army), but here's what you have to do when registering your car here:

Once your car arrives here and it's ready for pick up, you'll get a temporary registration paper that's good for 30 days. To get Hawaii plates, you first need to go by any place that does state inspections (I recommend Flagship FastLube on Kamehameha Highway in Pearl City). They're going to "fail" you for inspection because you don't have Hawaii registration. Registration for people non-military people here goes off of the weight of your vehicle - talking hundreds of dollars (for reference, a full size truck is about $600). Since you're military and your state of residency is not Hawaii (go off of what it says your LES is), you need to get a military non-residency form which will allow to pay MUCH less (like $60 bucks or less). Take your failed inspection sticker to any of the satellite city halls on the island - I don't recommend going to the one downtown because parking is nuts. I went to Kapolei (west side of the island) and I was in and out in less than an hour on a walk-in. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET since Hawaii requires a front and a back plate.

Once at the DMV/satellite city hall, you need the following:
- Military non residency form
- Set of orders
- Current driver's license
- Registration for the state it's currently registered in (if it's good for a while, Hawaii will honor the expiration date and transfer it to the HI plates)
- Your failed inspection sticker
- LES (can't remember if I had it, but I brought it just in case).
- Bill of lading from the shipping company (can't remember if I needed it, but I had it just in case)

Once you get your registration and your plates, go back to the same inspection place you went to before and show them your updated tags and registration, and they'll give you a safety inspection sticker. Barring any other corrections you need to make, that should be it. Since your exhaust is modified, you may need a reconstruction permit. I'm not exactly sure the process to get one, but the people doing the safety check can probably tell you.

I hope this helps, good luck!

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey all,
:wave: exhaust is no longer a recon item so will be ok. more info here:
https://www.honolulu.gov/cms-csd-me...s-about-reconstructed-vehicle-inspection.html

check out our HI thread here as well: https://www.civicx.com/threads/hawaii-roll-call-autox-meets-rambling-thread.24068/

OP
OP

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Read through a couple things on the reconstruct link you posted. According to that, I have to have amber side markers? So, I have to switch the bulbs that I JUST put in a week ago that are white?

Also, if I have a new exhaust AND new headlight assembly, I need a reconstruct permit?

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Read through a couple things on the reconstruct link you posted. According to that, I have to have amber side markers? So, I have to switch the bulbs that I JUST put in a week ago that are white?

Also, if I have a new exhaust AND new headlight assembly, I need a reconstruct permit?
amber bulbs will be required, you can keep the clear side markers just need some orange reflectors (stick on ones are ok) like the ep3 si.
no recon required for exhaust and or headlights as long as DOT is stamped on them.

OP
OP

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
amber bulbs will be required, you can keep the clear side markers just need some orange reflectors (stick on ones are ok) like the ep3 si.
no recon required for exhaust and or headlights as long as DOT is stamped on them.
The housings I have in now for the side markers are a smoked lens. Not sure what you mean by reflectors though.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
I just re registered my car in july in South Carolina. I dont plan on getting Hawaii plates so I should be good with just the rear South Carolina ones?

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just re registered my car in july in South Carolina. I dont plan on getting Hawaii plates so I should be good with just the rear South Carolina ones?
you will be able to keep your current plates until they expire with an out of state vehicle permit from the state of hawaii and jbphh. i'd check with pass and id. gl!
Sponsored