Moving from Canada to USA - Can I Import My Civic?

Patbob

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX 6MT
Country flag
I'll be moving to California in May for work and I was thinking about bringing my car with me. I've gone ahead and requested letters from Honda Canada and American Honda about safety, emissions, and recall stuff. Unfortunately, the Canadian Civics don't come with TPMS (even though it apparently depends solely on software) and don't completely meet the FMVSS according to one of the letters they gave me. I asked multiple Honda dealerships if they would be able to help me and was told to pound sand :/

Also, to clarify, I am a Canadian citizen, who purchased this car in Canada and wants to bring it to the States as a personal possession; I am not trying to pull any shady grey-market stuff!

Is there anybody here who managed to import their Civic to the States and would be willing to share their experience?
Sponsored

abitolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 accord
Country flag
Your car when sold new would need to meet California emission standards I believe. Honda does not usually help with a compliance letter for US Customs, usually you would require going to. a Registered Importer who modifies your vehicle to meet US FMVSS , charges you an arm and a leg, and stores your car for 30 days while they do the work. You are much better off selling here and purchasing down there after you figure costs involved. Problem is that Honda will normally not issue a list of parts that need changing, the RI determines that and charges accordingly.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wonder if the lack of TPMS would be an issue?

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I went through this years ago when I moved to California from Toronto and brought my 99 Civic SiR with me. At the time, the car was only about 5 years old so the 25 year old vehicle rule didn’t apply

Another disclaimer, it was about 15+ years ago so the regulations might have changed. But as stated in one of the links above, as long as the same or similar model and trim is available in the US market, there shouldn’t be much issue. Also keep in mind smog regulations vary state to state although I think Canada is about as strict as California anyway, which is stricter than most other states.

As I remember it, I may have filled in the importation paperwork incorrectly because it went rather smoothly. The question was country of manufacture, not country of original sale. Being a 1HG VIN, I did pit down the correct country of manufacture, which may have moved things along with less hassle.

Pop Alexandra

First Name
Alexandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Polo
Country flag
I used the services from W2C when moving from the US to Canada. Might be worth looking into.
Sponsored