Mouse chewed my Harness

Otisg86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L w/ Honda Sensing
Just so happen a little mouse chewed up my wiring harness on my 2016 Honda EX-L. Honda is telling me it is $1100 to fix as it is not covered by the warranty (Which I understand completely and not complaining). My insurance will cover it under the deductible but I am seeing if someone else has had this happen to them, and how you went about it? Honda is also saying that the harness is on back-order so it can be up to a month of waiting, and up to a month without a vehicle.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I literally just saw this too lol.

I also read that there is a lawsuit out on Honda due to them using a Soy based wire cover which rodents cant help but to eat.

dude jump in on that law suit, or just tell honda you will and see if they compensate to keep you from jumping into the lawsuit haha

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
Speaking of that.. I had to tow my car last Friday because My dash became a Christmas tree... A rodent went through the wires close to the ecu... My car only had 6600 KM on it... They fixed it for free because they store the new cars where there is some rodents around...

Bawb333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O.o
I just had that happen on my Subie, little bastards chewed a wire on the MAF sensor (Which is part of the whole ECU harness). The dealership fixed it for 150$, we provided the wire though. They just cut the chewed piece out and soldered a new one in place.
I know it's Honda and not Subaru, but you should definitely press them a little to fix it for you. They just don't want to deal with it.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to do the same - you just need the correct gauge wire and cut the same length.

Imagination04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Just so happen a little mouse chewed up my wiring harness on my 2016 Honda EX-L. Honda is telling me it is $1100 to fix as it is not covered by the warranty (Which I understand completely and not complaining). My insurance will cover it under the deductible but I am seeing if someone else has had this happen to them, and how you went about it?

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks!
I had a similar situation with my Honda Insight a few years back though it was squirrels instead of mice. Chewed up the wiring harness and couldn't start the car. The price of the harness + installation was over a $1000 back at that time. I kept my out-of-pocket cost down by claiming it under my car insurance (low deductible) and it was covered under Comprehensive so my insurance premiums did not take a hit. It wasn't an item that dealers keep in stock so had to wait a couple of days for one to be shipped in from the west coast.

Contemplating whether it would be worthwhile to get some Honda Rodent Tape for my new Civic, but looking under the hood I'm not sure I'd be able to locate all of the wiring that should get wrapped.

hkbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Odyssey, 2016 Civic
I just got into that bad exp today on my 2016 EX-L and car starts but steering wheel got locked. Had to tow my car to Honda dealer and they just called me saying it could be mice or rodent chewed the wiring harness and they are saying it will cost $2700 and obviously not covered by warranty. Its big shock and surprise how's so sensitive and no basic protection to avoid such a small things when we have so much of advance technology nowadays. Need to talk to my insurance to see if they cover. I dont have any additional warranty. Any suggestions?

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I have to say, I love my CivicX, but If mice chew up any of my wiring, especially since I don't live anywhere near a mouse infested area, I sure as heck will be doing anything I can to make sure they fix it at no cost to me if this Soy wiring shielding is true. Even if it comes down to a lawsuit!! I will NOT be paying anyone any kind of money to fix a stupid mistake on their part!

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
I have to say, I love my CivicX, but If mice chew up any of my wiring, especially since I don't live anywhere near a mouse infested area, I sure as heck will be doing anything I can to make sure they fix it at no cost to me if this Soy wiring shielding is true. Even if it comes down to a lawsuit!! I will NOT be paying anyone any kind of money to fix a stupid mistake on their part!
Same for me... I will not pay for that type of mistake. Mine was fixed at no cost and they mentioned that they would take care of it if it ever happen again.

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
Same for me... I will not pay for that type of mistake. Mine was fixed at no cost and they mentioned that they would take care of it if it ever happen again.
Wow, hopefully my dealership will be that generous if that happens to me.

audiosoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I am sorry to here about this happening to you. It sucks. You can use Peppermint essential oil (available at health food stores) to stave off rodents and squirrels. You just sprinkle it around in the engine compartment. Rodents don't like the smell I live in the mountains of Arizona and we have this problem here with squirrels. I have had no problem so far.