Mountain bike options for an Si coupe

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
I go back wheel in trunk first. Would be pretty awkward to do it the other way around by getting the bike inside the coupe first, then push it thru the pass thru.
Oh, I put it in from the trunk, if you thought I put it in through the door lol.
Sponsored

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
We are short sized road riders (me and son). The hatchback was a big decider for me, with my Type R. Love the coupe, but the hatchback is so useful. An average size person with a 29'er will need a wheel off (no big deal) to carry inside. BTW, the center exhaust is not my favorite! No way to place a hitch. Sorry, I know this doesn't help address your question!

killwilby

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I highly recommend thule or yakima, I wouldn't put anything less on my car. Invest back into your car / bike. A roof option would honestly be your best bet, consider it :).
I've been considering a roof rack for my hatch for a while (tired of loading my bike in the trunk as well), but am concerned about damaging the roof if I ever want to take it off when I sell the car. Have you had concerns about this? Did you install it yourself or pay a shop to do it?

Scott.

only hardparkers on this forum, see you tomorrow
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic Si, 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been considering a roof rack for my hatch for a while (tired of loading my bike in the trunk as well), but am concerned about damaging the roof if I ever want to take it off when I sell the car. Have you had concerns about this? Did you install it yourself or pay a shop to do it?
It’s super easy to install yourself. My old Yakima on my 8th gen did rub my paint a bit, but nothing a compound and buff couldn’t fix

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
It’s super easy to install yourself. My old Yakima on my 8th gen did rub my paint a bit, but nothing a compound and buff couldn’t fix
100% it will rub paint., but +1 to above! Compound and buff etc... fairly easily to install shop I purchased at quoted me 150, YouTube it!

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Oh believe me, I tried all possible positions for the legs. I believe the 3 bike version has two upper legs. Two bike only has one, so it’s a bit less stable. Also, the EX version may have longer legs which would help. Yes, it can clear the spoiler but to do so, requires putting bottom feet on the face of the trunk which essentially makes the bottom straps useless. Also, it isn’t a flat surface and one of the feet has to go near where the license plate is which is uneven. That’s why it would slip (I’m talking fractions of an inch, but it was enough to contact spoiler at end of drive). My solution works well as I can now use bumper for bottom legs. I’d recommend anyone wanting to try Saris, get the EX version if you have a coupe.
Somehow I knew you would post something like this... So, picture time. Sorry the lighting is not great but does the job. I have Saris Bone for 3 bikes (Bone-3?), not sure if it's EX or now.

I just put the rack on quickly to show you. I didn't strap down tightly. FYI.

1. I used the outer legs for behind the trunk mount. Outer legs spread the most so they fit just outside of the licence plate. I position the feet as high as I can
Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 20200817_170316_HDR

2. Then position the other two legs on the top of the trunk. Play around to find the position that gives the most clearance.

In these pictures, you can see the clearance I have. I place my big water bottle to show the clearance. I carried road bike and 27.5 enduro... Combined weight ( with saddles, pedals, cross bars for mountain bikes ) would be around 60 lbs. The rack did not even come close to the high spoiler of the SI coupe.
Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 20200817_170357_HDR
Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 20200817_170405_HDR
Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 20200817_170521

Last edited:

Deleted member 40377

I've never trusted trunk-mounted racks (Had one fall off once, very sad).
I've had this Thule rack for more than 17 years and still works superb. Changed out the pads and waxed all contact points. Never had any issues. I have 27.5+ tires on and fits well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 1597709965036

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 1597709986441

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I've had this Thule rack for more than 17 years and still works superb. Changed out the pads and waxed all contact points. Never had any issues. I have 27.5+ tires on and fits well.

1597709965036.png

1597709986441.png
I guess depend on comfort level. I never had roof rack and heard story "someone drive into garage forgetting the bikes on top". And at the end of the long ride, I wouldn't want to load 30+ lb bike onto the roof.

Last edited:

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Somehow I knew you would post something like this... So, picture time. Sorry the lighting is not great but does the job. I have Saris Bone for 3 bikes (Bone-3?), not sure if it's EX or now.

I just put the rack on quickly to show you. I didn't strap down tightly. FYI.

1. I used the outer legs for behind the trunk mount. Outer legs spread the most so they fit just outside of the licence plate. I position the feet as high as I can
20200817_170316_HDR.jpg

2. Then position the other two legs on the top of the trunk. Play around to find the position that gives the most clearance.

In these pictures, you can see the clearance I have. I place my big water bottle to show the clearance. I carried road bike and 27.5 enduro... Combined weight ( with saddles, pedals, cross bars for mountain bikes ) would be around 60 lbs. The rack did not even come close to the high spoiler of the SI coupe.
20200817_170357_HDR.jpg
20200817_170405_HDR.jpg
20200817_170521.jpg
Thanks, when I get a chance, I’ll post some pics of my Bones 2 with the mods I made on the car. The Bones 2 is clearly less wide. I measured the main cylinder and it is 14 and 1/4 inches wide. The widest the bottom feet can get is with a 8.5 inch inner distance between the feet. No matter how you put it, the license plate will always interfere. It is good to know the bones 3 doesn’t have this issue. The Saris are good racks with a cool design and it’s good for the people on here to see the different options.

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag

1597709965036.png

1597709986441.png
Do you leave the rack on for your daily drive?

BrokenLimits

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
It is not exactly easy to take off and put back on. I leave it on all the time. I just changed from the sidearms in this photo to a fork lock version. The sidearm lock is ok, but it moves a little more than I would like at high speeds.

As for the rubbing, I tried something new this time and put a clear film on the roof where the rack hits. It is the clear bra material stuff. We will see when I go to take it off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe IMG_3206

Deleted member 40377

I take the actual bike carrier off when not in use but the roof rack stays on all the time. I don't get too much noise from it. Whenever I go riding, I put the carrier back on, doesn't take too much time.

tcr1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted to tell you to be careful when you put your bike inside, I took an image DOZOIR to show you the pocket underneath the bicycle seat. I had forgotten my keys in the pocket, when i closed the trunk, it was locked. When the keys are at this level, the car does not detect them.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe IMG_3666.JPG

BrokenLimits

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
When I had my Fit, I would put the bike in the back. Now, my tired ass after a hard ride or a triathlon would get grease everywhere trying to put it in the Civic. Roof is a lot easier.

wuaname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Si sedan
Country flag
Do you leave the rack (or base) on the car 24/7?
When I had my Fit, I would put the bike in the back. Now, my tired ass after a hard ride or a triathlon would get grease everywhere trying to put it in the Civic. Roof is a lot easier.

Ah triathlon... you speak my language (sprint & oly only).

i just realized the roof rack really doesn’t work with the coupe. I’ll have to look at the suction roof racks if I decide to trade my EX hatch.
Sponsored