Mountain bike options for an Si coupe

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've fit my 27.5 Giant Anthem or my XTC 29er without much issue. I have a trunk rack (Saris Bones 3) that I still use if I'm carrying more than one bike, but if I only have one it's faster to put it in the trunk. I also worry less about the bike when it's in the trunk.

I take the front wheel off and slide the bike in with the back seats down. It's good to have a plastic trunk liner so the pedals don't scrape the trunk floor. I haven't needed to take them off. Having a dropper post makes it easier, so if you don't have one yet, you've got an excuse to upgrade now.
Sponsored

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I bought a Saris Bones 2 used. It fit over coupe spoiler just barely, but the lower arms weren’t long enough to sit on bumper like designed so it ended up brushing up against the spoiler after hitting bumps with a bike on it. So I modified it with some solid rubber bumper guards, cut them to size and used rubber adhesive to attach to bottom feet. So far that had worked really well. I have a 29er mountain bike.

image.jpg
I also used Saris Bone 2 ( but for 3 bikes version ). The rack fits over the spoiler with plenty of room. You can adjust the arms to achieve this. I used to put 2 mountain bikes (26 and 27.5) without any issue. Of course one has to be careful when going over bumps and tie down the straps real good.
I later opted for hitch and modify the exhaust tip.
I still have the saris bone rack if you are interested.

OP
OP

SiGator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon a Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I fit my Giant large frame on road sport bike in my coupe without issue. Procedure: fold down rear seats, remove the front wheel and pedals, and load the bike in the trunk with the rear wheel towards the drivers side and the seat towards the passenger seat.

The following thread has photos that I used as reference when I was loading my bike for the first time:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/bicycle-in-coupe.14744/
Nice explanation and illustration with the pics. So leaving the pedals on the bike would cause it not to fit?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Nice explanation and illustration with the pics. So leaving the pedals on the bike would cause it not to fit?
Depends on your pedals. I have a 26" wheel Trek mountain bike and I replaced the clipless pedals with toe clip pedals. The total pedal width is about 15" from side to side and it barely clears the trunk pass thru with the front wheel off. I have spare tire and trunk tray installed so that raises the floor a bit. If I had clipless pedals, I feel like I could fit the whole bike in without having to remove the front wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SiGator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon a Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I've fit my 27.5 Giant Anthem or my XTC 29er without much issue. I have a trunk rack (Saris Bones 3) that I still use if I'm carrying more than one bike, but if I only have one it's faster to put it in the trunk. I also worry less about the bike when it's in the trunk.

I take the front wheel off and slide the bike in with the back seats down. It's good to have a plastic trunk liner so the pedals don't scrape the trunk floor. I haven't needed to take them off. Having a dropper post makes it easier, so if you don't have one yet, you've got an excuse to upgrade now.
This makes a lot of sense and seems like the easiest , fastest and safest option. I would be traveling on a major interstate and would not want my bike standing on top of the car.

BrokenLimits

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
For what its worth, I have driven 80+ Miles an hour 70 miles from Lincoln to Omaha for triathlons with two tri bikes on a Thule sidearm on the roof of my car with zero issues. I actually think I would prefer the block fork lock style for longer drives, but it was perfectly fine.

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
My 27.5 hardtail fits in my sedan with the front wheel off. It's a hassle putting it in though as the pedal has to be navigated through the rear seat opening. Take it off, and the bike should slide right in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe IMG_20200801_131718-01

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
I also used Saris Bone 2 ( but for 3 bikes version ). The rack fits over the spoiler with plenty of room. You can adjust the arms to achieve this. I used to put 2 mountain bikes (26 and 27.5) without any issue. Of course one has to be careful when going over bumps and tie down the straps real good.
I later opted for hitch and modify the exhaust tip.
I still have the saris bone rack if you are interested.
Oh believe me, I tried all possible positions for the legs. I believe the 3 bike version has two upper legs. Two bike only has one, so it’s a bit less stable. Also, the EX version may have longer legs which would help. Yes, it can clear the spoiler but to do so, requires putting bottom feet on the face of the trunk which essentially makes the bottom straps useless. Also, it isn’t a flat surface and one of the feet has to go near where the license plate is which is uneven. That’s why it would slip (I’m talking fractions of an inch, but it was enough to contact spoiler at end of drive). My solution works well as I can now use bumper for bottom legs. I’d recommend anyone wanting to try Saris, get the EX version if you have a coupe.

OP
OP

SiGator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon a Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Oh believe me, I tried all possible positions for the legs. I believe the 3 bike version has two upper legs. Two bike only has one, so it’s a bit less stable. Also, the EX version may have longer legs which would help. Yes, it can clear the spoiler but to do so, requires putting bottom feet on the face of the trunk which essentially makes the bottom straps useless. Also, it isn’t a flat surface and one of the feet has to go near where the license plate is which is uneven. That’s why it would slip (I’m talking fractions of an inch, but it was enough to contact spoiler at end of drive). My solution works well as I can now use bumper for bottom legs. I’d recommend anyone wanting to try Saris, get the EX version if you have a coupe.
I am just curious.... why don't you do as others had recommended and take off the front wheel and feed the bike through the trunk (w/ back seats down, of course).

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
I am just curious.... why don't you do as others had recommended and take off the front wheel and feed the bike through the trunk (w/ back seats down, of course).
Well for one, the carpeting gets dirty if you're riding in less than dry conditions.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Well for one, the carpeting gets dirty if you're riding in less than dry conditions.
I go back wheel in trunk first. Would be pretty awkward to do it the other way around by getting the bike inside the coupe first, then push it thru the pass thru.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
I normally keep things in my trunk, that I would have to take out every time. Also, a bike rack is way more convenient then disassembling part of my bike every time I want to ride somewhere.

Scott.

only hardparkers on this forum, see you tomorrow
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic Si, 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run thule aero bars on my Si, thule basket with a thule sidearm up top for my Giant Trance. Si becomes a sailboat at this point but its always wet here and I'd rather not put muddy tires in my trunk.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe 3VLrtpL

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
I run thule aero bars on my Si, thule basket with a thule sidearm up top for my Giant Trance. Si becomes a sailboat at this point but its always wet here and I'd rather not put muddy tires in my trunk.

3VLrtpL.jpg
Looking good

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Yakima jetstream
x2 highspeed

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe yakima

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe IMG_9101

Honda Civic 10th gen Mountain bike options for an Si coupe IMG_9070

I highly recommend thule or yakima, I wouldn't put anything less on my car. Invest back into your car / bike. A roof option would honestly be your best bet, consider it :).