tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Lol you better be really short because those back seats are almost nonexistent. But the 370z is another good contender I didn’t think about.
I’m very short. Technically I can’t drive a WRX or Golf because my legs can’t depress the clutch all the way :(
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
You know I’ve been thinking about the RF as well. I think it depends on if you want convenience or just a very light car with a NA motor and rear wheel drive? I actually landed on the Toyota 86. I plan to go test drive one soon. But I plan to get a Edelbrock twin screw supercharger for it after it’s broken in.
I've test driven the 86, BRZ, and ND1 (both RF and ST) and found the Miatas a bit more fun. Both felt a bit sluggish WOT on the highway, but I hear the power boost in the new ND2 motor really helps with that, opens up the top end wonderfully. The twins handle very well but I'm not a fan of that engine's sound, or its torque dip, it belongs in a tractor.

Looking forward to seeing reviews of the updated CTR. There is a new 86/BRZ coming, as well as a Miata refresh likely for MY 2021, but I may not want to wait that long.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I've test driven the 86, BRZ, and ND1 (both RF and ST) and found the Miatas a bit more fun. Both felt a bit sluggish WOT on the highway, but I hear the power boost in the new ND2 motor really helps with that, opens up the top end wonderfully. The twins handle very well but I'm not a fan of that engine's sound, or its torque dip, it belongs in a tractor.

Looking forward to seeing reviews of the updated CTR. There is a new 86/BRZ coming, as well as a Miata refresh likely for MY 2021, but I may not want to wait that long.
Yeah I know the feeling. I want my 86 now but I know as soon as I do they will come out with a better model. But that’s always gonna happen to keep you coming back. And I know that torque dip you are talking about on the 86. The Edelbrock supercharger I plan to get for it supposedly smooths out the power curve. They state that the program they include with the supercharger was tweaked to get rid of that dip and give it a constant curve all the way to redline. So I’m sure that would be a blast with the 6 speed and rear wheel drive.

rawmar

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Mazda Miata Club
Country flag
Nice, thanks for posting. And the 2020 will likely be even better.

Going back and forth, Type R and Miata RF lol. Hard call to make when you can't test drive one of them.
I typically like to test drive used cars because they never have an issue letting you drive it and you get to see what the car is like after some amount of miles.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Yeah I know the feeling. I want my 86 now but I know as soon as I do they will come out with a better model. But that’s always gonna happen to keep you coming back. And I know that torque dip you are talking about on the 86. The Edelbrock supercharger I plan to get for it supposedly smooths out the power curve. They state that the program they include with the supercharger was tweaked to get rid of that dip and give it a constant curve all the way to redline. So I’m sure that would be a blast with the 6 speed and rear wheel drive.
There is bound to be compatibility issues with that SC kit when the new 86 finally rolls around. You might be waiting longer than just 2021.. of course, that's if it even gets released then.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
There is bound to be compatibility issues with that SC kit when the new 86 finally rolls around. You might be waiting longer than just 2021.. of course, that's if it even gets released then.
Yeah you might be right. That’s why I’m still on the fence about it. So I did test drive one the other day. It handles like nobody’s business. It is definitely more snug then the civic. Even headroom is half of what I get in my civic. But the transmission was silky smooth. And the clutch is just slightly stiffer then the civic. Definitely could be a daily driver. Power is decent but of course I plan to change that. Getting in and out is similar to the civic. I definitely loved the feel of the rear wheel drive. So overall seems like a well put together sports car. The one I drove was a 2019 TRD model. That’s all they had. They said if I want the 2020 I would have to order it. That poor car was so dirty and covered in pollen. I told them they needed to wash that thing and sit it inside if they plan on selling it. They are trying to get me to buy it.
Honda Civic 10th gen MotorTrend Verdict After Year with 2018 Honda Civic Type R 21FB5344-DC9A-45C4-A00C-B2B58D3DC6AB

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Yeah you might be right. That’s why I’m still on the fence about it. So I did test drive one the other day. It handles like nobody’s business. It is definitely more snug then the civic. Even headroom is half of what I get in my civic. But the transmission was silky smooth. And the clutch is just slightly stiffer then the civic. Definitely could be a daily driver. Power is decent but of course I plan to change that. Getting in and out is similar to the civic. I definitely loved the feel of the rear wheel drive. So overall seems like a well put together sports car. The one I drove was a 2019 TRD model. That’s all they had. They said if I want the 2020 I would have to order it. That poor car was so dirty and covered in pollen. I told them they needed to wash that thing and sit it inside if they plan on selling it. They are trying to get me to buy it.
21FB5344-DC9A-45C4-A00C-B2B58D3DC6AB.jpeg
Fantastic daily car if you don't need a lot of room. This specific model is also one of the better ones to buy. I'd say, if the deal is right, and your emotions are dead set on it, it's a great buy.

Once you really start learning the 86 and getting into the twisties it just comes alive, the car is unbelievable fun for what it is. Due to unforeseen circumstances (some other idiot driver), I no longer have mine, but taking the time away from it has made me realize one thing... I NEED ANOTHER ONE.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
there is no way i'd supercharge/turbocharge that motor (with stock internals and stock headgasket/studs). it will self destruct in way way less than 100k miles. if you drive it hard i'd say way less than 50k miles. i've seen multitudes of them blow to smithereens at track events; this motor seems fragile if you put forced induction to it. (unless you put forged pistons and rods and ARP headstuds and cometic head gasket.

drewmarc

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6M
Country flag
Nice, thanks for posting. And the 2020 will likely be even better.

Going back and forth, Type R and Miata RF lol. Hard call to make when you can't test drive one of them.
I recently planned a trip in Southern California, just so that I could rent a type R from Turo.

It was exciting to finally get to drive one! Maybe you could do something similar? Most Type Rs on turo can be rented for $100/day.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
I recently planned a trip in Southern California, just so that I could rent a type R from Turo.

It was exciting to finally get to drive one! Maybe you could do something similar? Most Type Rs on turo can be rented for $100/day.
Now that is dedication! Thanks for responding.

I did check the local Turo for the GTA (Toronto area) a few weeks ago. Despite a population of over 8 million there isn’t one CTR available (same for the Miata). Turo cars here are largely mainstream/premium, not enthusiast. Going to the US right now, not a great idea.
Sponsored