• Start date
  • Watchers 11

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Nice, thanks for posting. And the 2020 will likely be even better.

Going back and forth, Type R and Miata RF lol. Hard call to make when you can't test drive one of them.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag

Going back and forth, Type R and Miata RF lol. Hard call to make when you can't test drive one of them.
Damn, they won't let you test drive an RF? WTH!

Anyway, I think it comes down to how many cars you currently own. If you only have one then the CTR is the best choice IMO. If you need a weekend car then RF for sure.....

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Damn, they won't let you test drive an RF? WTH!

Anyway, I think it comes down to how many cars you currently own. If you only have one then the CTR is the best choice IMO. If you need a weekend car then RF for sure.....
Oh I can test drive RFs out the wazoo, it's the R that's the problem. You are very lucky if a Toronto area Honda dealer will let you test drive even an Si ffs.

One car only for me, don't need to commute though so the RF would work, if less conveniently when it comes to shopping.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
If you had a chance to drive and live with a CTR for some time that decision on which car to buy would be an easy one.....Type R's literally can do it all. Best all around car I've had the pleasure to drive much less own.:headbang:

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag

I have owned an ND and nearly bought a CTR last summer. I ended up buying a C7 Grand sport, but I now know I should have went with the CTR due to family circumstances. I will say the same to you. It all comes down to how much convenience you need in your car. The CTR will be faster and handle better. You can’t deny the responsiveness of the Miata, though. My hopes are to sell the C7 this summer and get a new CTR and ND.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh I can test drive RFs out the wazoo, it's the R that's the problem. You are very lucky if a Toronto area Honda dealer will let you test drive even an Si ffs.

One car only for me, don't need to commute though so the RF would work, if less conveniently when it comes to shopping.
I said this in another thread, but I was also the minority, but if this car would be your second vehicle I would actually consider the RF over the CTR. If this were a primary car CTR all the way.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Echos my thoughts on the Type R. Rarely do you ever get a car that breaks records, is relatively affordable (if no ADM), has relatively great mpg, immense utility, and is as critically acclaimed as the CTR.

Also, its good to see them bringing production to the USA, either for the current or future generations.

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
I had an RF before I bought the CTR and sold the RF. It was my first Miata and I was pretty disappointed with it TBH. It doesn't even handle as well as my modded WRX. I also didn't love the convertible experience (it was my first convertible as well). For around the same price the CTR is a much better buy for me, and I have multiple cars so I don't need it for DD or anything.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had an RF before I bought the CTR and sold the RF. It was my first Miata and I was pretty disappointed with it TBH. It doesn't even handle as well as my modded WRX. I also didn't love the convertible experience (it was my first convertible as well). For around the same price the CTR is a much better buy for me, and I have multiple cars so I don't need it for DD or anything.
I had a heavily modded NC Miata a number of years ago, and I too agree with you. The car was decently fun with all the mods it had, but I couldn’t imagine driving a completely stock one. And even then, with all the goodies it had, including a cosworth supercharger, it still felt... lacking. I too didn’t love the convertible experience. Kind of overrated. At least for myself, Miata was not always the answer.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag

You know I’ve been thinking about the RF as well. I think it depends on if you want convenience or just a very light car with a NA motor and rear wheel drive? I actually landed on the Toyota 86. I plan to go test drive one soon. But I plan to get a Edelbrock twin screw supercharger for it after it’s broken in.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You know I’ve been thinking about the RF as well. I think it depends on if you want convenience or just a very light car with a NA motor and rear wheel drive? I actually landed on the Toyota 86. I plan to go test drive one soon. But I plan to get a Edelbrock twin screw supercharger for it after it’s broken in.
Besides the "slight" torque dip the stock 86 has, it's a very planted car. Power to weight-wise, the 86 has a slight advantage over and RF but the MX5 convertible has a slight advantage over the 86. Both are especially fast cars, but great momentum and handling cars.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Besides the "slight" torque dip the stock 86 has, it's a very planted car. Power to weight-wise, the 86 has a slight advantage over and RF but the MX5 convertible has a slight advantage over the 86. Both are especially fast cars, but great momentum and handling cars.
Yeah they all have their pros and cons. So you have to think what’s most important for you. Price wise the 86 and Miata are the same, the RF model cost about 5k more because of the electric removable top. Both are rear wheel drive which makes for some fun slides around corners and stronger launches. Both are NA motors so response is quick in both. The MX-5 is considered a roadster while the 86 is a coupe, although the back seat is useless, but it does fold down for more trunk space. Both have very nice sporty looks. The MX-5 is slightly faster thanks to it’s lighter curb weight. Both come in a six speed manual. Both have available supercharger and turbocharger kits. So they are very similar. But what got me was the 86 looks a little sportier and it has a bigger usable trunk so I can put my subs in and still have room leftover. Now the type R would be the compromise if you had a family to load in it because of the four doors and back seat. It is capable of a lot. But the one thing that it is missing is rear wheel drive. And with a supercharger or turbocharger added to the MX-5 or 86 will give you type R power for about the same total price. So all great cars for different situations. I already got a 2018 Civic hatchback Ex and a 2018 Civic sedan Lx. So I figured I would trade the sedan for the Toyota 86 and supercharge it and I’m sure it will be a blast to drive.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah they all have their pros and cons. So you have to think what’s most important for you. Price wise the 86 and Miata are the same, the RF model cost about 5k more because of the electric removable top. Both are rear wheel drive which makes for some fun slides around corners and stronger launches. Both are NA motors so response is quick in both. The MX-5 is considered a roadster while the 86 is a coupe, although the back seat is useless, but it does fold down for more trunk space. Both have very nice sporty looks. The MX-5 is slightly faster thanks to it’s lighter curb weight. Both come in a six speed manual. Both have available supercharger and turbocharger kits. So they are very similar. But what got me was the 86 looks a little sportier and it has a bigger usable trunk so I can put my subs in and still have room leftover. Now the type R would be the compromise if you had a family to load in it because of the four doors and back seat. It is capable of a lot. But the one thing that it is missing is rear wheel drive. And with a supercharger or turbocharger added to the MX-5 or 86 will give you type R power for about the same total price. So all great cars for different situations. I already got a 2018 Civic hatchback Ex and a 2018 Civic sedan Lx. So I figured I would trade the sedan for the Toyota 86 and supercharge it and I’m sure it will be a blast to drive.
I remember when my friend was looking at the 86, FRS, and BRZ he saw that the mods for those vehicles were a bit pricey. I'm not sure what "pricey" meant at the time, but he ended up going 370Z instead after I brought up the vehicle. That might be something to factor in as well. I'm not sure which car is pricier to mod, the 86 or MX-5.

Fun fact, if I'm driving the car, a BRZ/86/FRS can hold 3 people comfortably since my short self has to move the seat all the way up (every last notch). It's the same in the Type R, you get first class legroom if you sit behind me :p

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I remember when my friend was looking at the 86, FRS, and BRZ he saw that the mods for those vehicles were a bit pricey. I'm not sure what "pricey" meant at the time, but he ended up going 370Z instead after I brought up the vehicle. That might be something to factor in as well. I'm not sure which car is pricier to mod, the 86 or MX-5.

Fun fact, if I'm driving the car, a BRZ/86/FRS can hold 3 people comfortably since my short self has to move the seat all the way up (every last notch). It's the same in the Type R, you get first class legroom if you sit behind me :p
Lol you better be really short because those back seats are almost nonexistent. But the 370z is another good contender I didn’t think about.
Sponsored