Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
I personally have been holding off purchasing a new vehicle as the last civics were horrible and hoping the next gen would be better. Enjoy the styling but in no way want an automatic transmission. I have a 5 speed civic EX that I regularly get 40-43 mpg and have much more enjoyment driving it. Would want a coupe so maybe by then it is sorted out but the LX trim looks like the old DX trim levels. Wheelcovers? yikes. Thanks admins for the information stream and members for additions and opinions.
Porsche's PDK dual clutch is the only one I've tried which doesn't lurch or be at least a little confused at the lowest speeds around town. Even BMW's DCT which is probably the second best after PDK still gets slightly confused sometimes. Autos are still the best for smoothness and they're closing the gap with DCT's in shift speed.

With all the positive things being said about CVT here I'm curious to try it myself. The only CVT I've tried is in a Prius and that was not very inspiring.
Sponsored

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I personally have been holding off purchasing a new vehicle as the last civics were horrible and hoping the next gen would be better. Enjoy the styling but in no way want an automatic transmission. I have a 5 speed civic EX that I regularly get 40-43 mpg and have much more enjoyment driving it. Would want a coupe so maybe by then it is sorted out but the LX trim looks like the old DX trim levels. Wheelcovers? yikes. Thanks admins for the information stream and members for additions and opinions.
I think lots of people decided to skip the 9th gen no surprise.
I don't remember seeing wheel covers on any cars so far. They all looked like wheels?

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
I think lots of people decided to skip the 9th gen no surprise.
I don't remember seeing wheel covers on any cars so far. They all looked like wheels?
The LX sedan (the red one seen on Motor Trend's site) comes with 16" steel wheels with plastic covers. The coupe range is expected to start with an LX-S model (mimicking the Accord coupe) with 16" alloy wheels.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The LX sedan (the red one seen on Motor Trend's site) comes with 16" steel wheels with plastic covers. The coupe range is expected to start with an LX-S model (mimicking the Accord coupe) with 16" alloy wheels.
Duh right in this thread too. :bonk: Thanks for pointing it out. For wheel covers those look decent so didn't even notice they were covers.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
My Honda repair guy only works on Honda. He remembers when CVT came out back in the 90's - and the repair costs were 10k if it went out. He is still leery of CVT just because it has not stood the test of time yet. As to all the electronics, I read that some cars have been marked down on reliability surveys if owners have issues with technology. I personally care about the drive more than technology but then I remember the muscle cars of the 70's.....times are different now.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Honda repair guy only works on Honda. He remembers when CVT came out back in the 90's - and the repair costs were 10k if it went out. He is still leery of CVT just because it has not stood the test of time yet. As to all the electronics, I read that some cars have been marked down on reliability surveys if owners have issues with technology. I personally care about the drive more than technology but then I remember the muscle cars of the 70's.....times are different now.
Consumer reports takes electronics into account with reliability testing. Hence why ford especially has gotten knocked hard on their reliability ratings. Not because of mechanical issues, but because of their infotainment systems having problems. (Though i've heard there were a lot of issues with their ecoboost engines as well).

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
I would think it is a sourced audio system and has to be bigger than 5" (current Civic iMID), maybe 6" non-touch. Accord lists the iMID at 8", but maybe like LX Accord will not be Apple CarPlay®/ Google Android Auto.
I think it is the same unit out of the LX HR-V. 5" color LCD.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
The touchscreen is cheap, super cheap compared to buttons and switch gear. It is also much easier to replace is needed. In general touchscreens are extremely reliable now and I'm not worried about that in the least now. you may have noticed a slight uptick in tablets, phones, and touchscreen computers in the last 5-10 years..... There is a reason the tech has grown so much so fast. Easy to get nice mature reliable screens now made for a lot more touching than an average dash screen so there is very little to worry about on these now.

DCT - I have tried the TLX and it is the best I've tried but I was not all that impressed really which surprised me. It was easy to get it lost in gear changes and I was not super excited by it. Average people hate DCTs too, ask Ford and the insane amount of trouble they have has with the DCT in the Focus. If you are not really going then the DCT will jerk, like to never got my mother in law to understand it was not broken. My mother in law is on her 4th clutch pack in her car with 14,000 miles on it as Ford says it is messed up too. So bad Ford has upped the warranty to 10 years 100k on the tranny to help appease people who are upset. VW GTI has a DCT people love to rave about and it also burns through clutches so much that owners are told to save for replacements if they are out of warranty as they are know to need them at certain mileage points even on babied cars.

I never liked CVTs and a lot of that might be because my first experiences with them were in Nissans and man those SUCKED HARD. Hate them with a passion. Now I have one in the wife's HR-V and it is fine, does not bug me at all. Color me shocked. Driven the Accord and loved the CVT, and I currently drive a manual so it is not like I don't like manuals and rowing my own. Gotta admit they have come a long long way and I'm fine with the newer CVTs with paddles, "shift points" and the like. Much better product that the early ones for sure.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with CVT @Razer. Seems like every member here whose actually tried the latest Honda CVT's have had good things to say about it, and the only ones worried bout it are those of us who haven't tried it or just hate all autos

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
NICE pictures. Even the base LX interior looks great. The EX and above get a full digital tach and speedo screen while the base LX gets a physical tach but still has a screen in the center. Love the contrast stitching on the seats and details.
Interesting that even the base LX now has single zone auto climate control. Nice.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
...DCT - I have tried the TLX and it is the best I've tried but I was not all that impressed really which surprised me. It was easy to get it lost in gear changes and I was not super excited by it. Average people hate DCTs too, ask Ford and the insane amount of trouble they have has with the DCT in the Focus. If you are not really going then the DCT will jerk, like to never got my mother in law to understand it was not broken. My mother in law is on her 4th clutch pack in her car with 14,000 miles on it as Ford says it is messed up too. So bad Ford has upped the warranty to 10 years 100k on the tranny to help appease people who are upset. VW GTI has a DCT people love to rave about and it also burns through clutches so much that owners are told to save for replacements if they are out of warranty as they are know to need them at certain mileage points even on babied cars...
These are valid criticisms for the DCT. Starting from a stop is not their strong point unless a torque converter (a la the TLX) is added. Then you've got a slushbox. The Honda Fit Hybrid has a 6-speed DCT (seven if you count electric first) where starting from stop is handled by a torquey electric motor. It's a brilliant design. I guess that's why we can't have it here in North America.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
DCT - I have tried the TLX and it is the best I've tried but I was not all that impressed really which surprised me. It was easy to get it lost in gear changes and I was not super excited by it. Average people hate DCTs too, ask Ford and the insane amount of trouble they have has with the DCT in the Focus. If you are not really going then the DCT will jerk, like to never got my mother in law to understand it was not broken. My mother in law is on her 4th clutch pack in her car with 14,000 miles on it as Ford says it is messed up too. So bad Ford has upped the warranty to 10 years 100k on the tranny to help appease people who are upset. VW GTI has a DCT people love to rave about and it also burns through clutches so much that owners are told to save for replacements if they are out of warranty as they are know to need them at certain mileage points even on babied cars.
That's too bad that even with a torque converter this DCT still jerks. Someone else posted a snippet of a review of the ILX/TLX DCT and said it was really smooth. I would actually consider DCT (maybe even over manual) if it was offered on the Si. Would have to try it out first.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
These are valid criticisms for the DCT. Starting from a stop is not their strong point unless a torque converter (a la the TLX) is added. Then you've got a slushbox. The Honda Fit Hybrid has a 6-speed DCT (seven if you count electric first) where starting from stop is handled by a torquey electric motor. It's a brilliant design. I guess that's why we can't have it here in North America.
Makes sense and electric motors give instant torque which is even better for acceleration. But guess not all cars can have it because that would mean adding an electric motor to a gasoline powered car, which really makes it a hybrid sorta then :)
Sponsored