NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I was hoping that they would get rid of the fastback to give more headroom in the rear for 6 footers and raise the car up a bit. The "sporty" appearance might look "cool" but it isn't practical. I would prefer "luxury" to "sporty". The BMW 3 series looks a lot more substantial.

And the 11th gen won't be coming out until the 2022 model year or we would have heard something before now. I expect only small changes much like the 8th to 9th gen. Maybe use the Accord's infotainment + blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert + Honda Sensing 2.0 upgrade. Sedan sales are declining and Honda spent a lot of money redesigning the 10th generation Civic. They are not going to spend a lot on developing the 11th gen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks exactly like someone took a Civic and Accord, smashed em together and changed a few things :thumbsdown:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda themselves havenā€™t announced or shown anything for a car that could release within a year... this? Not that Iā€™ve seen anyways. I kind of donā€™t buy it. They had the ā€˜16 Civic concept running the auto show circuit as early as March 2015 and we knew gen 9 was done.

Thereā€™s no been no announcement from Honda Iā€™ve seen. This article appears to be an opinion piece based on an assumption of ā€œabout 5 yearsā€. Yeah... gen 8 was 6. 9 flopped and went 4 and we knew it was on the chopping block. I guess that averages to 5... and they offer their own illustration? Great. Looks like an uninspired morf of a current Civic and an Accord to me. Itā€™s about as useful as people cropping random peoples heads on Henry Cavillā€™s body with claims, ā€œThis might be the new Superman in the next [totally unannounced] filmā€ that floats up in my news feed now and then. Slow news day.

It holds about as much weight as our own assumptions to me. Until Honda themselves give a release or show their cards, Iā€™ll remain skeptical weā€™re going to see a different model Civic in the showrooms ~6 months from now. COVID causing lack of sales with 2020s just hanging out (even a few ā€˜19s at my local dealers) and manufacturing shutdowns doesnā€™t help either.

Still say a late 2021 as a release as a 2022 model is the earliest weā€™d see... matching the same 6 year run of the similarly successful gen 8. It also existed in a rocky financial time... but that was mid-life and the issue vice out end-of-life with unemployment this go-around is going to make folks buy less and hold on and take care of what they have Iā€™d bet. Iā€™d argue gen 10 is ending stronger review-wise than 8 did. 9 started mediocre and never really recovered despite improvements.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I believe the eleventh is not coming soon. When it comes, even if nothing else changes much, the front grille will be different. Honda doesnā€™t have a signature front, so they take advantage of that to make generations look different.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To be fair, the only reason the 8th Gen went 5.5 years was so Honda could decontent the 9th Gen. It was sold as a 2012 model for 1.5 years (and one of the few big dark spots on Honda's record).

Nearly every generation of the Civic has been on a 5 year cycle. And I think until recently, Honda had been planning for a 2021 redesign of the Sedan.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I believe the eleventh is not coming soon. When it comes, even if nothing else changes much, the front grille will be different. Honda doesnā€™t have a signature front, so they take advantage of that to make generations look different.
I thank the gods everyday Honda has resisted the current trend that almost every other manufacturer has subscribed to: unnecessarily large grilles which are often gratuitously stamped on every model they make.

sitsinchairs

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I really hope I hate the 11th gen. I really donā€™t want to have to buy a civic with honda sensing.
While I don't love all the Sensing (mostly drive with it off), my feelings are this: Yeah, I wouldn't pay for it, as I don't need it, but if they're including it as standard equipment, fine. The half-second it takes to turn it off is part of my start routine at this point. I may not need the features, but if the future used car buyers will expect these, it does not hurt to have the extra tech for resale.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those wheels looks like something Isuzu used to put on their cars o_O
It looks like the design that would be on something like a Kia Soul or similar in their lineup. Even the base model civics least have some sharpness to them that not equipped with alloy.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the popularity of the 10th gen, I'd be shocked if it comes out as a '21 MY. '22 probably more likely.
Not stunned with this render. Unless this ends up being a hybrid, those wheels look like a step back. And taking the ass of a Jetta is really not the move.

The 10th gen was immediately class-leading. I hope Honda continues this with the 11th gen.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This grille reminds me of the 9th Gen coupe. This just an artist's render, but I don't think the final product would look very close to this. Maybe the lower bumper portion and overall bodylines, but I'm betting it gets a more Accord style eyebrow on the front grille, less curve to it.

A similar piece is also on the Pilot and Passport. I imagine that will make its way with the new gens of Civic, CR-V and HR-V that will eventually come down the line. But, the newest Fit doesn't have it so this is really all conjecture.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do we think of changes under the hood. Excuse me, what do we _hope_ for changes under the hood?

I own a CVT EXL. That said... I think having a truer distinction on the Si would be nice to keep the it from being distilled down to the transmission and the LSD.

Here is what I think would be cool; admittedly, 95% is unlikely to happen:

A new head unit. If nothing else... That. One that leverages the android platform and allows for upgrades with ease. The ability to shove a 2TB microSD (or two) in, and store media and apps off the internal storage. The GPU on a HU could be leveraged for enhancements to sound and systems computations. Give me sensor data as metrics and near-time graphical feedback.
  • Plop a 1.8L turbo in the Si
  • Start the Si at 222hp
    • Push the power curve, and make people wring the additional headroom over the 1.5L by increasing the rpm range. EPA rating won't change much, as the driving needed to gain more is outside the testing region.
  • Give it a BOV, or recirc with mechanical sound. Maybe a means of energy store.
  • Have a limited run or trim that is factory equipped to receive (or come with) accompanying port injection.

• Put a beefier CVT in the non-Si. Don't let the transmission be the limit, let that be internals.
  • Dual lane-watch with split screen
  • Do away with MT in non-Si
    • Don't hate me, it keeps the MT on a pedistal, and with a beefier CVT, it'd need a separate pen to play in too ?
  • Give the 1.5L CVT non-Si...
    • The better turbo
    • Better turbo inlet tubing
    • A better tune*...
      • Both Sport* and Eco Modes
  • Put an LSD standard on the non-Si
    • Selling pt is better FWD Capabilities in weather, more reliable translation of inputs

• Give the R better cooling
  • Bump factory HP to 325
  • Have a lightened, stripped down trim (think Evo RS) without the sensors and interior, and a basic rear bench (removable). Sell an optional cage. Sell at a lower price point at base but option the hell out of it
    • Similar port injection as I said for Si
  • A year or two in, have an electric rear axle for 4-wheel stability drive (weather, rally/autoX). Bump combined peak power to 385.
    • Make it highly moddable in an entirely new way
      • Aftermarket kits to upgrade/increase battery banks, with plug-in ability easily within reach
  • Factory setup for an anti-lag, water/meth injection. Limited run or trim with this factory installed
  • Also with a mechanical BOV (or similarly pleasing mechanical sound)
  • Active suspension adjustment and dampers for R-mode
  • Factory ethanol sensor and R-mode option for aggressive ignition with >= 15% ethanol content (unless yall want to see threads griping about 0w-15 for CAFE, we're going to see 95/98 octane fuel this decade with/otherwise E15 overtake E10, and an E20/30 replace specialty E15 as it is now)
  • Aggressive electromagnetic-driven cam profiles for an evolution to VTEC.

That provides something for everyone. The prices may increase, but R&D to implement a better CVT where the majority of sales will be, to then have it in most models, is an investment. Stays true to tuners and modders, and makes the Si a distinction rather than a tweak to insert below the R.

I await your scorn :stirthepot::popcorn::catfight:

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those ideas are great, but they sound like they will take a huge R&D investment that Honda won't put in at the moment. Maybe 12th Gen will look like that, at least in part. Also too many different trim levels complicates production lines and I remember Honda saying they wanted to streamline that further.
Sponsored