Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Can you post what brand and size speakers you replaced the center dash and front door speakers with? Were they easily plug and play? I may upgrade mine as well if they're easy to replace.
I did the install myself, following @ctrmofo's DIY thread on this forum. The speaker swaps are super easy. Installing the extra amp for the subwoofer was time consuming, because I had never attempted anything like it before and took it slow, but it came out great and everything works. I have spent roughly $800 on parts (JL Audio C2-350x center dash speaker, Hertz Dieci Dt24 front door tweeters, JL Audio C2-650x front door coax speakers, AlpineType R SWR8D4 subwoofer, Rockford Fosgate T500X1br mono amp and Audio Control LC2i line output converter, plus a wiring kit for the amp and assorted random bits). I bought the RF amp on eBay to save some cash, most of the rest was Amazon.

I also purchased the Palindrome Labs deeper subwoofer grill kit to make room for the Alpine sub, but if you don't want to go that route there's a Pioneer sub (TS-SW2002D2) that's low profile and fits in the stock enclosure. I bought that one first before deciding to go bigger with the Alpine and the grill kit. It's lightly used and I'd be happy to sell it cheap if anybody wants it.

If you want to test your DIY capabilities, start with the center dash speaker, it's a direct swap and couldn't be easier. That speaker definitely carries audio when you play music, in addition to the audio for the nav system.

If you paid someone to do the amp install, it's probably at least 3-4 hours labor for a shop, plus parts. But believe me, if I can do it, you can too.
It's all in there. It's also in the thread @ctrmofo posted. That's where I found step-by-step instructions for each project.
Sponsored

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I don't understand the criticism of the headunit . . . if you use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, it's all the same no matter which vehicle you own -- I never felt that CTR's headunit is slow when using CarPlay or Android Auto. What am I missing? Is anyone listening to terrestrial or satellite radio in 2019?
I listen to satellite radio about 80% of the time. Android Auto does have the SIriusXM app, but honestly the head unit's functionality is WAY better. The Android auto app won't let you browse all the stations while driving (some sort of safety thing?)

I'm not sure about all the criticism either? The head unit/infotainment is fine IMHO.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I listen to satellite radio about 80% of the time. Android Auto does have the SIriusXM app, but honestly the head unit's functionality is WAY better. The Android auto app won't let you browse all the stations while driving (some sort of safety thing?)

I'm not sure about all the criticism either? The head unit/infotainment is fine IMHO.
I've yet to use any of the phone apps. I too listen to the satellite radio. I do wish it was faster though. Maybe it was "too expensive" for Honda to put a faster processor in the unit?

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I've yet to use any of the phone apps. I too listen to the satellite radio. I do wish it was faster though. Maybe it was "too expensive" for Honda to put a faster processor in the unit?
I will say that i was super impressed when i discovered that when changing satellite radio channels it automatically brings you to the beginning of the song. Pretty cool feature.

milw27

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grey
Country flag
I think the article is pretty spot on. I skip shift to get 24 mpg otherwise I’d be in the 22 or less range myself. We all know the info system sucks. Mention some of the vibrations/rattles, the useless 20” rims/tires and I might as well of wrote this.

All this said I still love mine. :)
Sponsored