Motor oil

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully one day we can just download an update from the cloud that will automagically change your oil by vaporizing the particles into the air directly into the engine.

...This sounded better in my head.
Yeah, I wish. Then all we need is a drag and drop option from the net to replace car parts :D
Sponsored

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil threads are always entertaining. I wonder how long before everyone starts arguing over which is better. Always happens. Use whatever oil you want OP, because you'll catch crap on here no matter what you choose. Every car forum is the same. As long as you use a decent brand, you'll be good.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wells, I had to get something because my car was at 40%. this was the 1st oil change I did on it at 6547 miles And didn't want to wait any longer so I got the Pennzoil platinum 0w 20 from Wal-Mart for 22.47. Next time around ill order what I want online ahead of time. After the change I went to the auto store and found this....

IMG_20160731_130618_kindlephoto-114612896.jpg
Same stuff I've been using. On Slickdeals right now for like $11 after rebate (http://slickdeals.net/f/8979959-12-...-per-person?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1)

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the stock oil Honda puts in from the factory? Is it still synthetic blend? My 2013 Si I would run 5w20 and my gas mileage was average 34-36mpg. Also seems like the k24 ran cooler compared to the 1.5T..

Edit: The Civics come with synthetic blend. Booo 300 miles and swapping for royal purple.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Oil threads are always entertaining. I wonder how long before everyone starts arguing over which is better. Always happens. Use whatever oil you want OP, because you'll catch crap on here no matter what you choose. Every car forum is the same. As long as you use a decent brand, you'll be good.
That's not necessarily true these days. Primarily because of Honda's migration to direct injection. I've run a turbo direct injection motor for 170K and learned that both fuel and oil quality are critical over time. Oil that is more volitile - even when considered well within spec - produces more vapors that are prone to deposit buildup. This happens because a very small amount of unburnt fuel can make its way past the rings into the crank case (fuel dilution). And that can accumulate on the oil control rings and intake valves (via PCV) over time. A catch can can minimize accumulation from the pcv. But once attached, no amount of solvents or cleaners can resolve the problem without a proper teardown.

I don't say this to scare people. Rather, technology has evolved to the point where there's much higher sensitivity to oil and fuel quality. The one theme we've seen in direct injection motors... using oils and fuels high in detergents (along with a catch can) is your best bet to fighting long term buildup. You don't need to break the bank either. Just stick with fuels that meet minimum detergent standards, and oils that have a good history of UOAs in turbo direct injection motors (look to UOAs from VW, BMW, Mazda, Subaru, etc).

The jury is still out on Honda's 1.5T. So in the meantime, let's make sure we're sharing the UOAs when they're captured, in order to help others make more educated decisions. We've already seen fuel dilution in early readouts. So it will be interesting to see if this trend continues beyond the break-in period.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/the-oil-thread.684/page-2

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not necessarily true these days. Primarily because of Honda's migration to direct injection. I've run a turbo direct injection motor for 170K and learned that both fuel and oil quality are critical over time. Oil that is more volitile - even when considered well within spec - produces more vapors that are prone to deposit buildup. This happens because a very small amount of unburnt fuel can make its way past the rings into the crank case (fuel dilution). And that can accumulate on the oil control rings and intake valves (via PCV) over time. A catch can can minimize accumulation from the pcv. But once attached, no amount of solvents or cleaners can resolve the problem without a proper teardown.

I don't say this to scare people. Rather, technology has evolved to the point where there's much higher sensitivity to oil and fuel quality. The one theme we've seen in direct injection motors... using oils and fuels high in detergents (along with a catch can) is your best bet to fighting long term buildup. You don't need to break the bank either. Just stick with fuels that meet minimum detergent standards, and oils that have a good history of UOAs in turbo direct injection motors (look to UOAs from VW, BMW, Mazda, Subaru, etc).

The jury is still out on Honda's 1.5T. So in the meantime, let's make sure we're sharing the UOAs when they're captured, in order to help others make more educated decisions. We've already seen fuel dilution in early readouts. So it will be interesting to see if this trend continues beyond the break-in period.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/the-oil-thread.684/page-2
All you did was prove my post true.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
What is the stock oil Honda puts in from the factory? Is it still synthetic blend? My 2013 Si I would run 5w20 and my gas mileage was average 34-36mpg. Also seems like the k24 ran cooler compared to the 1.5T..

Edit: The Civics come with synthetic blend. Booo 300 miles and swapping for royal purple.
no, they don't. every 2016 Honda comes with full synthetic from the factory. Go to your dealer and ask. Where do people get this stuff???

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I called 2 Honda Dealers. Both service dept said the 2016 civics come with a synthetic blend oil. Maybe you should call too.. ;)

no, they don't. every 2016 Honda comes with full synthetic from the factory. Go to your dealer and ask. Where do people get this stuff???

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
synthetic blend, synthetic blend, synthetic blend trust me!!

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Soon as I hit 1000 miles. I'm going royal purple

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I called 2 Honda Dealers. Both service dept said the 2016 civics come with a synthetic blend oil. Maybe you should call too.. ;)
did you read my post? I drove to the dealer and walked into the service dept. and asked. One more time; every new honda comes with full synthetic oil.
You didn't call anybody.Either that or the guys you talked to don't know what they're talking about. You don't know what you're talking about.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

did you read my post? I drove to the dealer and walked into the service dept. and asked. One more time; every new honda comes with full synthetic oil.
You didn't call anybody.Either that or the guys you talked to don't know what they're talking about. You don't know what you're talking about.
Just an article I came across for all to see very informative and btw the mix is 20% Synthetic and 80% conventional so for the auto makers to use a Full synthetic in the millions of cars they sell would not be cost effective
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/can-i-use-synthetic-motor-oil-in-my-brand-new-car

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been hearing conflicting reports as well. Waiting for someone to do an UOA on the factory fill.
Sponsored