taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wonder what the 1.5 can pick up by just giving it 110 psi base from a 450lph. Jacking up the feed pressure works on diesels, why not this
Sponsored

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I should of had a full thread up by now! But dyno day ended with the EWG having issues holding over 31 psi. So now I'm getting that worked out.

*Spoiler, the factory EWG doesn't like to hold shut into the 30s. Working with the big boys to get that resolved.

The Fuel system did great tho! 28-30% on duty cycle at 31 psi. Still plenty of headroom to push further.

I'll ask the maker of the kit if he's ready for a name drop. I expected a official release by now but I expect covid messed things up.

One thing I'm regretting is that I went with the gtx2860r over the gtx2867r. The gtx2867r would really shine with the extra go juice.
wow that is huge!! im super excited to finally hear about a aftermarket fuel pump instead of having to do port injectors, motek etc. any eta on when you'll make the new thread?

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I wonder what the 1.5 can pick up by just giving it 110 psi base from a 450lph. Jacking up the feed pressure works on diesels, why not this
I believe ktuner runs the HPFP a little higher then hondata does. The HPFP is fed by the intank. As long as the intank has whatever the Hpfp needs, there isn't a need to increase pressure from it. The kit i have also increase the hole diameter on the HPFP line.

You can technically give yourself a 10% bump just by drilling out your HPFP line, the line that connects the HPFP to the injector rail. Only a small diameter increase is needed. Doing this could also lead to premature HPFP failure, So warning.

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
wow that is huge!! im super excited to finally hear about a aftermarket fuel pump instead of having to do port injectors, motek etc. any eta on when you'll make the new thread?
SAME i was dreading a port injection setup. But this was great. Installed just like oem, just needed a new tune for it.

I've been trying to hold out till I have dyno data to back it up, but I'm also getting impatient here so maybe sooner haha. I have a new tune file to try out. If it goes well I'm hoping to get the go ahead for a another dyno attempt.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe ktuner runs the HPFP a little higher then hondata does. The HPFP is fed by the intank. As long as the intank has whatever the Hpfp needs, there isn't a need to increase pressure from it.
k tuner controlling rail pressure is for sure needed

Increasing feed pressure to the hpfp piston should increase its out put. We did this on bmw n54s back in the day with good results.

Honda has it at ~80 psi already, which is "high". 30 psi more surly adds more capability

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
k tuner controlling rail pressure is for sure needed

Increasing feed pressure to the hpfp piston should increase its out put. We did this on bmw n54s back in the day with good results.

Honda has it at ~80 psi already, which is "high". 30 psi more surly adds more capability
My new intank pump is rated for 340 lph @ 40 psi.

Give it a shot! Report back results :)

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My new intank pump is rated for 340 lph @ 40 psi.

Give it a shot! Report back results :)
Is there a reason you changed it? Do you have a low pressure feed pressure sensor? Just curious.

not sure of the si pump vs type r pumps, but my low pressure pump maintains 77 psi on e50 and roughly 25 psi on my stock turbo at 6500 rpm

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Is there a reason you changed it? Do you have a low pressure feed pressure sensor? Just curious.

not sure of the si pump vs type r pumps, but my low pressure pump maintains 77 psi on e50 and roughly 25 psi on my stock turbo at 6500 rpm
A intank upgrade was apart of the kit I received. And nope, that was just what the specs were for the pump.

I'd be interested to know the differences as well between the SI and R. Wish I could answer your questions better! But I'm not that Info deep onto it. I'm also not given all the details haha.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A intank upgrade was apart of the kit I received. And nope, that was just what the specs were for the pump.

I'd be interested to know the differences as well between the SI and R. Wish I could answer your questions better! But I'm not that Info deep onto it. I'm also not given all the details haha.
got ya, hope your results are satisfactory

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting topic about the fuel pumps that made me ponder: The HPFP is a cam driven positive displacement pump that I assume has some solenoid operated fuel pressure regulator that allows a software change to change its outlet pressure. Liquids are compressible... though not much... but by raising the fuel pressure assuming no volume changes by a physical change in the pump or a speed change since we’re not messing with cams... then I’d assume the amount of fuel we’re adding is minimal even with the pressure change. I could probably math it out based on the initial and final pressure Ktuner raises and with whatever compressibility constant (can’t remember the proper term for that given fluid).

Assuming the HPFP isn’t becoming starved of fuel... I don’t see how adding a higher flow tank pump would increase flow any further w/o any other change to the HPFP. Not that I’m right... I just don’t see how it’d make any real difference so long as whatever chamber the HPFP is getting fuel loaded into it and having some piston act on it to bump the pressure up very high is completely filled.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Assuming the HPFP isn’t becoming starved of fuel... I don’t see how adding a higher flow tank pump would increase flow any further w/o any other change to the HPFP. Not that I’m right... I just don’t see how it’d make any real difference so long as whatever chamber the HPFP is getting fuel loaded into it and having some piston act on it to bump the pressure up very high is completely filled.
Your reasoning is correct, but you're leaving out pumping efficiency's. No fluid pump is 100% efficient. Its more efficient filling the piston bore(of the hpfp) with a higher feed pressure. Especially at 2000-3000 pump rpm. Maintaining a high pressure is key

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your reasoning is correct, but you're leaving out pumping efficiency's. No fluid pump is 100% efficient. Its more efficient filling the piston bore(of the hpfp) with a higher feed pressure. Especially at 2000-3000 pump rpm. Maintaining a high pressure is key
Fair enough... but by my mind... so long as the chamber is open for sufficient time to fill at whatever flow rate is available for the LPFP... then full is full. The only difference what whatever tiny difference the LPFP... I assume to be centrifugal. It might fill the bit faster but once it’s full... the only thing you’d get is a tiny bit of extra compression as the pressure peaks again prior to the chamber closing off from the piston of the HPFP doing its thing. (shrug) If you’re hitting its limits to the inlet pressure is fluctuating badly well... yeah... I guess it’s start to make a marked difference.

What I’d initially thought about was the only way to raise flow rate at the HPFP was to raise chamber size or increase its speed. The only way to vary its outlet pressure without a mechanical change to affect compression ratio is... what I assume is some sort offuel pressure regulator that allows a bleed off. I guess if the LPFP is able to pump at a slightly higher cutoff head... then if you start higher... you could achieve a bit higher end pressure too. The pressure raise isn’t really the goal though... it’s just trying to hold on to additional mass of fuel rather than bleeding it off... and the pressure rise is a byproduct of it... or so I’d assume. Really guessing how it all works. Port injection was so much simpler... I just can’t think of another way a software change is going to affect fuel pressure.
Sponsored