Motec?

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
I would love to get your input if you have experience with Motec or have researched it before.

I am considering jumping into the deep end. :D Mine is a USDM MY2021. My initial questions are,

1. Is there a firmware update for making the A/C control work?
2. How good are the maps that come with the kit for a stock car? I want to be able to drive around with it that way while I get used to the platform.
3. When it’s time to increase the max rpm, is it easy to change the factory shift light/beep (either adjust the rpm or disable)?
4. Who would you recommend? I am currently thinking of going with @4piston as I will be getting a complete engine eventually.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would love to get your input if you have experience with Motec or have researched it before.

I am considering jumping into the deep end. :D Mine is a USDM MY2021. My initial questions are,

1. Is there a firmware update for making the A/C control work?
2. How good are the maps that come with the kit for a stock car? I want to be able to drive around with it that way while I get used to the platform.
3. When it’s time to increase the max rpm, is it easy to change the factory shift light/beep (either adjust the rpm or disable)?
4. Who would you recommend? I am currently thinking of going with @4piston as I will be getting a complete engine eventually.

Thanks in advance.
1: i havent seen a 2020+ ac request work correctly, though the ecu has no problem turning it on and off with tps/rpm setpoints. Just will always run unless you turn the output off. The 17-19 radios are different (can bus wise) and DO work with the right firmware.. The beta maps might fix one thing but they break more than they fix. I use my c125 dash to control problematic stuff like my AC.. C125 is basically a free development ecu becuase i can program canbus with it and send it to the ecu to control stuff.
2: stock Motec map is "tuned" for 91 octane but really low boost targets so you have to turn it up. Always good to have a person look over the datalog but my car start up and ran perfectly enough to drive around on and boost some.
3: easy/quick to change rpm limits, the factory dash is controlled through the radio so what ever options we have in there is where its going to beep and light up at you.
4: We (6 or 7 of us now) all got ours through Ben Salasko.. who is an authorized dealer (important for repairs if that ever comes up). We also confirmed the use of motec on 2020+ canbus systems for motec.
https://salaskoracing.com/collectio...cs/products/m142-fk8-kit-with-logging-level-2

Honda Civic 10th gen Motec? IMG_20200612_154829 - Copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Motec? IMG_20200612_154948 - Copy - Copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Motec? IMG_20200709_170948_158

Last edited:
OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1: i havent seen a 2020+ ac request work correctly, though the ecu has no problem turning it on and off with tps/rpm setpoints. Just will always run unless you turn the output off. The 17-19 radios are different (can bus wise) and DO work with the right firmware.. The beta maps might fix one thing but they break more than they fix. I use my c125 dash to control problematic stuff like my AC.. C125 is basically a free development ecu becuase i can program canbus with it and send it to the ecu to control stuff.
2: stock Motec map is "tuned" for 91 octane but really low boost targets so you have to turn it up. Always good to have a person look over the datalog but my car start up and ran perfectly enough to drive around on and boost some.
3: easy/quick to change rpm limits, the factory dash is controlled through the radio so what ever options we have in there is where its going to beep and light up at you.
4: We (6 or 7 of us now) all got ours through Ben Salasko.. who is an authorized dealer (important for repairs if that ever comes up). We also confirmed the use of motec on 2020+ canbus systems for motec.
https://salaskoracing.com/collectio...cs/products/m142-fk8-kit-with-logging-level-2

IMG_20200612_154829 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20200612_154948 - Copy - Copy.jpg

IMG_20200709_170948_158.jpg
Thank you @turbociv910! Good to know the C125 dash can workaround and make A/C work. I was planning on a C125 anyway. I will also looking into Ben Salasko too and I appreciate the lead.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you @turbociv910! Good to know the C125 dash can workaround and make A/C work. I was planning on a C125 anyway. I will also looking into Ben Salasko too and I appreciate the lead.
he is a m1 build developer, so canbus stuff was easy for him.. the AC walk around is not a cheap fix but it is nice

OP
OP

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@turbociv910 How is your C125 mounted? Are you using it as your main dashboard or found an alternative location for it?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are definitely bugs to be worked out of the FK AU kit… but because of our shared experiences and feedback, if you end up getting an FK8 AU kit through Salasko Racing, Ben knows exactly what needs to be done and he’s the consummate pro.

I recently found a serious bug in the Motec where the car stalled when rapidly decelerating and downshifting, similar to what might occur at the track. Contacted Ben and he linked up remotely, checked the datalogs, ID’d the issue and corrected it. Ben is A++++

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
So AC control doesn't work correctly for 2020-2021 but works fine for 2017-2019?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So AC control doesn't work correctly for 2020-2021 but works fine for 2017-2019?
Yes, Ac request is on all the time. For 2020+. Manually turn the output off in the tune or wire a button are the easy cheapest ways if you want to turn ac off. Or set activate rpm to 1 so it will never turn on. 17+19 ac off button works thru the dash.
Sponsored