Most optimal RPM for stock 2017 Si when starting to drive?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
When I start to drive, I don't idle and usually keep it at about 2000 RPM, with as little engine load as I can muster (despite the annoying 100-something-foot steep uphill right at the beginning), until the engine is warmed up.

That 2K number is just something I picked intuitively, but thought I'd ask the engine gurus here what y'all think the most optimal RPM range should be for the cold engine, and why. (Which is becoming especially important now, when it's a very cold engine... :))

TIA!
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since you aren't in a super cold climate, keeping it under 3k while the engine is cold has always been my rule of thumb. It has never steered me wrong. The oil in these cars is so thin that it doesn't take long for it to make it's way where it needs to be.

If you lived in an area where the temp drops to 0 degrees or something, than you might want to let it idle for a minute, and then monitor your RPM's closely until the temp is at 170-180.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I get in my car, wait until the RPMs drop to 1,200 then I keep it under 3k with no full throttle before it warms up and then drive normally

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I get in my car, wait until the RPMs drop to 1,200 then I keep it under 3k with no full throttle before it warms up and then drive normally
I used to wait for RPM to drop also, but not anymore, since apparently driving (carefully/under light load) is a better way to warm up the car.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I used to wait for RPM to drop also, but not anymore, since apparently driving (carefully/under light load) is a better way to warm up the car.
It's useful to allow it to idle until the high idle drops to 1200-1300 as during this time, the engine is lubricating itself after being stopped and cold. Continuing to allow it to idle after this window is the practice you should avoid.

You'll notice the high idle duration and RPM vary depending on the temperature as the oil viscosity changes.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It only takes like 30 seconds. It's to get some oil circulation before I begin driving.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
So, @jakabony and @REBELXSi, why up to 3K, and not 2 or 4? Also what about the lower/minimum side of the range -- or is there one; should the rule just be "keep RPM as low as possible, just don't lug it"?

Last edited:

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Coupe, 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a Honda.

Turn that thing on and just start driving normally. Just don't go trying to floor it right away and you're good.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
It's a Honda.

Turn that thing on and just start driving normally. Just don't go trying to floor it right away and you're good.
Reliability is one of the top selling points for me. Just trying to be as nice to the car as I can be, so I can keep it in good condition for as long as possible.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, @jakabony and @REBELXSi, why up to 3K, and not 2 or 4? Also what about the lower/minimum side of the range -- or is there one; should the rule just be "keep RPM as low as possible, just don't lug it"?
Honestly I just have always done it that way because 3k seems like the RPM to stay under when you are driving the car normally. That being said, if you shift at 2k or 4k, it likely won't make a difference, other than different fuel economy. I have been driving manual for 20 years, and have always used the 3k rpm rule for shifting under normal conditions. I have never had any issues with any of my manual cars, other than maintenance, etc.

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
It only takes like 30 seconds. It's to get some oil circulation before I begin driving.
I have personally seen these kind of tests numerous times (I am an engine engineer) and can assure you that even the worst engine gets all of the bearings pressurized oil within 5 seconds from cold-start.
Dave

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just because 2k feels like lugging and 3k is as high as I feel comfortable going until she's all warm and ready. It's really all over very quickly and is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It's funny, in my current '99 Civic EX, I sometimes can't imagine shifting before 3.5k RPM without lugging the engine unless I want a very slow climb.

I assume the CivicX has a little different power band though.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
for me, when cold as in 38 degrees or colder, i let the car idle for about 30-45 seconds. then keep the shifts under 3k until it gets to oper temp. it pisses ppl off driving behind me