Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
In the event of road trips if I have a blowout-and I don't want to carry a full size spare-I have the stock spare already, what is the most common tire?
I think 245/35/20 since there are a LOT of them on tire rack.
I would just hate to break down in BFE and have the rednecks there say "oh, you can leave it with us....no problem, hehehe". We don't stock that fancy tire.....
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think 245/5/20 since there are a LOT of them on tire rack.
I'm surprised TR sells a lot of 245/5-20's. ;)

Talk about a rough ride. Sadistic even.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hey OP, I see you quietly edited your post after I caught the typo. You're welcome.

In all seriousness, I don't even understand your question. If you're saying you want to carry an extra tire on road trips for your stock rims just in case, you'd just get your OEM tire size (245/30-20).

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh no problem!
I’m wondering what the most common tire size is for the stock wheels. So if I break down with a bad/unrepairable tire I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a tire replaced, that’s all.

Hey OP, I see you quietly edited your post after I caught the typo. You're welcome.

In all seriousness, I don't even understand your question. If you're saying you want to carry an extra tire on road trips for your stock rims just in case, you'd just get your OEM tire size (245/30-20).

Or am I missing something?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised TR sells a lot of 245/5-20's. ;)

Talk about a rough ride. Sadistic even.
You've never rocked those rubber band tires? It really connects you with the road. You can feel every divot in the pavement

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want to run a different size tire, 245/35 or 255/35 are the most common alternative tire sizes for the OEM wheels. The latter has been run by many people that I know that kept the OEMs with success.

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you want to run a different size tire, 245/35 or 255/35 are the most common alternative tire sizes for the OEM wheels. The latter has been run by many people that I know that kept the OEMs with success.
Thanks! Finally, an answer!
what about 245/45? I know the tire calculator widgets are good for this but they won't give any practical advice only the math, etc.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That would be way too big, you gain almost 3" on the stock diameter.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you go with a different tire size for a temporary spare in the event of a flat, it is almost certainly going to have a difference in rotation due to the resulting wheel diameter. Would that mess up the limited slip differential if it's on the front wheels?

Seems kind of a waste to spend $300 on a tire and then need to replace it with another $300 tire of the correct size when you get back home.

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you go with a different tire size for a temporary spare in the event of a flat, it is almost certainly going to have a difference in rotation due to the resulting wheel diameter. Would that mess up the limited slip differential if it's on the front wheels?

Seems kind of a waste to spend $300 on a tire and then need to replace it with another $300 tire of the correct size when you get back home.
No, I've jumped to the topic of what larger diameter tire is commonly available that fits on the OE rim so that if I blowout on the insterstate and end up in a hick town I can get another tire easily, vs. getting a Continental like the OE.
Id just like something bigger than the 245/30 or 245/35 that's off the shelf in most areas.
Thanks anyway.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
No, I've jumped to the topic of what larger diameter tire is commonly available that fits on the OE rim so that if I blowout on the insterstate and end up in a hick town I can get another tire easily, vs. getting a Continental like the OE.
Id just like something bigger than the 245/30 or 245/35 that's off the shelf in most areas.
Thanks anyway.
I'm currently running 255/35/20 tires (Michelin summers) on stock rims. I chose to try them because they were actually cheaper than the 245/35/20 tires. I believe that the larger size is also used on many BMW models? So that would make them more plentiful and more widely available, and maybe cheaper, although that is often timing related. If that is what drives or trips the debate for you. I think the answer is to look at the volume of total sales for the sizes (not even brand specific, because if you are just looking for a same sized tire) but maybe you want that too, so then just look at sales for the tire brand you choose.

In my case they were chosen for a better (read less harsh) ride for my GF. I've found that they are a good tradeoff vs the stock setup. There are many differences overall but she gets a better ride and I still get pretty sticky tires that give reasonable turn-in response and predictable performance characteristics.

Kane301

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru STi Limited
Country flag
In the event of road trips if I have a blowout-and I don't want to carry a full size spare-I have the stock spare already, what is the most common tire?
I think 245/35/20 since there are a LOT of them on tire rack.
I would just hate to break down in BFE and have the rednecks there say "oh, you can leave it with us....no problem, hehehe". We don't stock that fancy tire.....
245/35/20 General G-max Tires with Swift Springs. ZERO Rubbing. This was my first Type-R. I have a Black R now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Most common tire to fit Stock Rims? Screenshot_20210715-190104

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
245/35/20. I even went with all seasons in case I need to drive it in winter.
Sidewall increase give me just enough comfort to not have to worry about every crack in the road resulting in possible wheel damage.
Sponsored