Most annoying thing about your 2017 headunit?

royk

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm working on a new project to recreate the 2017 headunit for my UI/UX portfolio. Currently surfing through the forums and the Facebook community pages to collect my data.

I'd like to know what bothers you the most about the headunit (picture below) and what could be improved. This includes the infotainment and climate controls. I'm well aware of how the models 2018+ have been updated, but my project focuses solely on the first (and worse) headunit.

Some gripes I have:
  • Lacks volume knob
  • Lacks radio tune knob
  • Lacks fan speed knob
  • Dual zone knob rarely used
  • In-built navi is useless
  • Honda Link useless
  • Can't toggle AC in one button
Thanks for your help!

Honda Civic 10th gen Most annoying thing about your 2017 headunit? Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 5.59.45 AM
Sponsored

KVNeel

First Name
KV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just took my 2017 Honda Civic into shop and they are saying the HeadUnit has gone out and are saying it could be upwards of $10,000 to replace - I almost had a heart attack, does this sound right to you? Thanks ! kim

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
I just wish there was a volume knob. But I don't mind the volume selector on the steering wheel. Other than that I think it's amazing head unit. It was a big reason I chose this car.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
This lack of volume knob.....

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
XM won't skip over unsubscribed channels. Say I'm a subscriber of channels 90 and 92 but not channel 91. If I'm at channel 90 and I long press the > steering button to change to the next higher channel, instead of skipping over 91 to 92, I get an error message and get kick back to channel 1.

I have a 2020, but the 2017 should be the same.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I think you meant $1,000 right? but just buy a used one on ebay and replace it yourself, its easy.

I just took my 2017 Honda Civic into shop and they are saying the HeadUnit has gone out and are saying it could be upwards of $10,000 to replace - I almost had a heart attack, does this sound right to you? Thanks ! kim

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i had a 2016 LX coupe (in canada even the LX model come with the 7'' android tablet thingy the same you have on the picture above) and the head unit was riddled with issues...it would beep randomly, like its going back to home constantly but it's already on home (was on audio, car gets posessed and hit home or back non stop randomly suddently im on home and it's beeping, anyone else?)...for a minute at a time or more sometimes it was ridiculous, and also sometimes when i start the car and put it in reverse it would get stuck to the last rear view image when i put forward, and would stay like that, frozen on the last frame for the whole drive.

Other times it would also just reboot for no reason.
And no volume knob also a fluke.

All of those are fixed with the 2020 model, at least so far hehe, no bugs yet.
?

Last edited:

snyperwolf62

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX w/Honda Sensing
Country flag
I wish there was more customization with the UI itself. Personally I love the green blocky digital display systems of the 80's like the Z31, C4 corvette, etc., so the more I can get my car to feel like Kit from Knight Rider the happier I am. I guess that also ties into a custom UI for the digital instrument panel and as far as I know, that hasn't been done. I also wish it wasn't so difficult to download and install other apps/APKs on the default system. It would be nice to be able to use car info related widgets on the home screen, seeing as you can have several screens available but there's nothing to put on them, not even a compass, which would be very handy.

I'm interested in knowing how your project is going and if you have plans to share anything with the community, it sounds very cool!
Sponsored