OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
^ This.

OP, spray something like Iron X or similar up into that crack and let it do its magic.
I have tried that, that's how I found the issue. I sprayed it and wondered why that spot was dripping pink so much even after rinsing. looked up and realized that was pure rust and not iron contaminants.
Sponsored

stylezz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7
Country flag
I had the same issue beginning of this year. Took it to Honda and got it fixed under warranty. Yes i have a White hatchback as well lol

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I have a cosmic blue 2016 EX sedan with 105k miles and it’s never spent a night in a garage. I have no rust or other defects in this location. What gives?

I just completed a 3-day wash/clay/polish/wax and had no rust anywhere. This is the first time in 4 years I’ve done anything more to the car than run it through an automatic wash every few months (I last waxed it when it was new 4 years ago).

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"I have a cosmic blue 2016 EX sedan with 105k miles and it’s never spent a night in a garage. I have no rust or other defects in this location. What gives?"

Maybe you don't slam the trunk lid as aggressively. Metal lid stops, plastic wants to keep going. Plastic hits paint.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
"I have a cosmic blue 2016 EX sedan with 105k miles and it’s never spent a night in a garage. I have no rust or other defects in this location. What gives?"

Maybe you don't slam the trunk lid as aggressively. Metal lid stops, plastic wants to keep going. Plastic hits paint.
I don't think it's about how hard you close your trunk but I would assume it's road vibrations, hitting bumps and cracks on the road over time. Also honda blue is fairly dark, the chances that you can see the rust without removing the panel is difficult.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Most people will probably never notice this rust spot until you carefully look or it has rusted through. Around the city, I have seen almost all the cars have some variation of rust in this exact spot. Always the left side. My question is #1: the long term issues as this will rust out, and #2 will honda recognize this. The car is only 4 years old and it's at the period where people will slowly notice this and possibly create a recall? The spot is right between where the plastic and metal touch. I have mostly noticed this on the white cars at that is the easiest to notice rust. This paint is the white orchid pearl if that makes any difference
IMG_7445.jpeg
IMG_7443.jpeg
Most people will probably never notice this rust spot until you carefully look or it has rusted through. Around the city, I have seen almost all the cars have some variation of rust in this exact spot. Always the left side. My question is #1: the long term issues as this will rust out, and #2 will honda recognize this. The car is only 4 years old and it's at the period where people will slowly notice this and possibly create a recall? The spot is right between where the plastic and metal touch. I have mostly noticed this on the white cars at that is the easiest to notice rust. This paint is the white orchid pearl if that makes any difference
IMG_7445.jpeg
IMG_7443.jpeg
I live in Metro Phoenix, yes, in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, and while I do not have this specific rust spot I did have a rust spot directly above the windshield washer fill spout, under my hood. I had to wrestle with the dealer about it who involved the district Honda Rep, I had less than 50,000 miles at that time. They were not going to fix it until I said I would file complaints with state and federal agencies and go to the local news guy who offers to settle disputes between consumers and businesses. So I did get it fixed and have abandoned that dealer. Because I retired in June, I intend to keep this car as long as possible so this was a battle I was willing to fight. Because federal law [relates to crash worthiness]requires car makers to keep records of customer rust claims made within the warranty period, be sure the Honda Factory rep in involved.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't noticed any rust where you are mentioning, but I do have rust on the inside of my fuel lid. Have a 2016 Touring Sedan and am in the snowbelt of Ontario, Canada.
Also I have mentioned this before, but I will again. So when I am filling up at certain gas stations, and I use the automatic fill trigger, when the tank gets full and triggers flups off, I get an excess amount of fuel that comes back out. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I live in Ontario Canada and own a 2020 Boost blue Type R. Plan to keep this car so I had drip less rust proofing done recently. Warrantied for life with inspections every 2 years. I noticed they apply it to doors and trunk areas. No mess, just minor cleanup. The only issue is the smell, lasts for about 3 weeks. Notice car is a bit quieter too.

LA_CivicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX
Country flag
FWIW, the white orchid pearl Honda Fits had a recall on the paint a few years back, it leads to rust and peeling paint. You would think they learned their lesson!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I have a cosmic blue 2016 EX sedan with 105k miles and it’s never spent a night in a garage. I have no rust or other defects in this location. What gives?

I just completed a 3-day wash/clay/polish/wax and had no rust anywhere. This is the first time in 4 years I’ve done anything more to the car than run it through an automatic wash every few months (I last waxed it when it was new 4 years ago).
The rust begins underneath the plastic trim piece, not visible until it spreads enough. You wouldn't wash underneath it anyway. As for why some are showing rust and others aren't, probably has to do with climate and driving conditions. Obviously areas which use lots of road salt will show it quicker.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
FWIW, we live with our 2016 Civic Touring sedan in one of the most rust prone climates in the US, on the windward--rainy--side of the Hawaiian island of Kauai, fifteen miles or so as the crow flies, and in sight of, the "wettest spot on earth," Waialeale. Painted refrigerators rust here. PC chassis rust here. Everything rusts here. Our car spends nights in the open carport. No sign of this problem. In the images below you can see too much of the island's characteristic red dirt. It's everywhere. Driving a clean car 100 feet when the pavement is wet gets it this way. But no sign of rust.

I'm not denying what others are seeing; just saying the "Most 2016 Civics have" this is probably an overstatement.

Honda Civic 10th gen Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!! IMG_0039

Honda Civic 10th gen Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!! IMG_0040

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't noticed any rust where you are mentioning, but I do have rust on the inside of my fuel lid. Have a 2016 Touring Sedan and am in the snowbelt of Ontario, Canada.
Also I have mentioned this before, but I will again. So when I am filling up at certain gas stations, and I use the automatic fill trigger, when the tank gets full and triggers flups off, I get an excess amount of fuel that comes back out. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Yes. Seems some pumps have more pressure than others and it does happen.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
I haven't checked in the spot the op mentions yet. But I did notice a small spot of surface rust, more of a rust colored spot on the bottom edge of the trunk lid. Will use some rust remover to wipe it off. It's also important to remove leaves and stuff around the trunk weather sealing as they can cause water to not run out.
Honda Civic 10th gen Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!! InkedIMG_7445_LI
Sponsored