Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Most people will probably never notice this rust spot until you carefully look or it has rusted through. Around the city, I have seen almost all the cars have some variation of rust in this exact spot. Always the left side. My question is #1: the long term issues as this will rust out, and #2 will honda recognize this. The car is only 4 years old and it's at the period where people will slowly notice this and possibly create a recall? The spot is right between where the plastic and metal touch. I have mostly noticed this on the white cars at that is the easiest to notice rust. This paint is the white orchid pearl if that makes any difference
Honda Civic 10th gen Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!! IMG_7445
Honda Civic 10th gen Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!! IMG_7443

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Anyone see this happening on hatchbacks too?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2016 coupe, no rust on either side. When I wash it, I do notice it's harder to get the soap out of that area. Sometimes I wash my car twice a week.

Civic_EU

First Name
Matus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB Sport, Volvo 940, couple of e36 BMW
Country flag
I ve had this on my 2017 Hatch, same spot and everything, it was fixed by the dealer in a warranty...Explanation was that there are soft bushings or something separating plastic piece from metal part of the lid, one of them failed and the vibrations couse the plastic to scrape thru the paint….

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's because your car is white...from my experience white cars tend to rust more because they are almost always cold to the touch and they take longer to dry when wet and water will enter little cracks like that on your trunk for example and sometimes take days to dry...that's why white car rust more.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Mine has it in the same spot, worse than yours though. My mechanic friend says it's because when you close the trunk there is friction in that spot where the panels meet causing the paint to wear away. So peeled paint plus heavy salt exposure, this is what you get. Honda won't do anything.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It's because your car is white...from my experience white cars tend to rust more because they are almost always cold to the touch and they take longer to dry when wet and water will enter little cracks like that on your trunk for example and sometimes take days to dry...that's why white car rust more.
Yeah..... No. Surface rust like this occurs when the paint is chipped/missing due to various causes. Once the bare metal is exposed, it'll rust and it will happen to all colours.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah..... No. Surface rust like this occurs when the paint is chipped/missing due to various causes. Once the bare metal is exposed, it'll rust and it will happen to all colours.
Yes but on white cars the process happens faster because of the reasons I mentioned.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don't buy this theory.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
No rust on my wife's 2016 Civic .

I hear white color are easy to rust. Urban legend ?

Or it is because it easy to see rust on a white paint ?

Over years I always see more rust on many metal parts with white paint, like fence, stairway.....

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Last edited: