First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi! So I absolutely love the way those look and kinda really wanna get them, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who have used them first. Are you satisfied with them? What are some issues you're having? How does the light output compare to the stock Type R LEDs?
Thanks! :)
Sponsored

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Hi! So I absolutely love the way those look and kinda really wanna get them, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who have used them first. Are you satisfied with them? What are some issues you're having? How does the light output compare to the stock Type R LEDs?
Thanks! :)
I have these lights and feel they are a slight upgrade from the factory LEDs with a much sharper and defined cutoff. The cutoffs are a little crooked however, and have a weird notch on the left side, but this is really only noticible when they are shining on a flat surface. They also had to be raised significantly from their original position to get them aimed correctly. There is a note with them about not turning the adjustment screw more than 3 revolutions, but I had to turn it at least 10 revolutions to get them aimed properly. They are not as nice as a true HID retrofit, but for a pre-built option they are definitely at least as good, if not slightly better than the factory LEDs.

OP
OP
Smilo359

Smilo359

First Name
Aneliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have these lights and feel they are a slight upgrade from the factory LEDs with a much sharper and defined cutoff. The cutoffs are a little crooked however, and have a weird notch on the left side, but this is really only noticible when they are shining on a flat surface. They also had to be raised significantly from their original position to get them aimed correctly. There is a note with them about not turning the adjustment screw more than 3 revolutions, but I had to turn it at least 10 revolutions to get them aimed properly. They are not as nice as a true HID retrofit, but for a pre-built option they are definitely at least as good, if not slightly better than the factory LEDs.
Awesome! Thank you for your input! :) How long have you had them? Sounds like I should just go ahead and get them haha

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I appreciate the feedback on this as well since I have been window shopping these for months, but just never pulled the trigger on them. I was debating an HID upgrade since I have the halogen bulb setup right now.

Little_Smokie

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si Sedan, 2005 s2000
Country flag
For the price. Not worth it. Aesthetically look great and signal function was cool.

I found performance to lack. Coming from OEM LEDs on my Si, they seemed to be dimmer, better cutoff, but maybe just appeared dimmer because there was barely any foreground light.

Also. Not sure if they have fixed it, but adjustments On the lights are very fragile if not careful and willl break

Long story short.. I had them for a couple weeks, and went back to OEM. Rather spend the money on a true retrofit

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
am i satisfied with them? it depends. I'm satisfied with them as i think they look awesome. However i'm not really satisfied with the output of them. No issues so far other than having to adjust the beam much higher than what it came out of the box which did scare me a bit as people have broken adjuster screws by turning it too much.

how does it compare to stock LEDs? hard to say. Its got a cut off and wider but it lacks foreground lightning so it appears more dim. IMO the stock LEDs outperform them. If your driving is at pitch black darkness everytime, then it might be good to have the wider beam. Theres also a deadzone in one section of the output that annoys me.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Awesome! Thank you for your input! :) How long have you had them? Sounds like I should just go ahead and get them haha
I've had them a little over a year. I also got them with a 25% off sale, so the price was a lot more reasonable. I've seen several complaints about them being dimmer than factory LEDs and I certainly don't feel that to be the case from my own experience. With that said, I also drive mostly in rural areas with little to no street lighting. Are they HID retrofit quality, no. But I do feel they are at least equal, and probably slightly better than the factory LED.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had them a little over a year. I also got them with a 25% off sale, so the price was a lot more reasonable. I've seen several complaints about them being dimmer than factory LEDs and I certainly don't feel that to be the case from my own experience. With that said, I also drive mostly in rural areas with little to no street lighting. Are they HID retrofit quality, no. But I do feel they are at least equal, and probably slightly better than the factory LED.
I've been waiting for a sale on them. I think it's normally black Friday they do that sale on retrofitsource.com. That's where I first saw them, unless they are on another site.

merakiautoworks

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
merakiautoworks.com
Vehicle(s)
A bit of everything..
Country flag
Hey,

We're a dealer for the retrofitsource, they became very strict of never selling the product below MSRP. But I can offer you free promos like free shipping.

-Josh

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey,

We're a dealer for the retrofitsource, they became very strict of never selling the product below MSRP. But I can offer you free promos like free shipping.

-Josh
This is why I love this forum. Thank you for the response! #goestowebsitetohuntforparts

merakiautoworks

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
merakiautoworks.com
Vehicle(s)
A bit of everything..
Country flag
This is why I love this forum. Thank you for the response! #goestowebsitetohuntforparts
You're going to hate our website, we're working on it, save yourself the headache lol.

Feel free to text/email/pm us to talk parts. We don't even have the morimoto products on our site yet, but we're a confirmed dealer.

-Josh

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're going to hate our website, we're working on it, save yourself the headache lol.

Feel free to text/email/pm us to talk parts. We don't even have the morimoto products on our site yet, but we're a confirmed dealer.

-Josh
Oh, I see the website can be a headache, but search and filter tools are my friend that I found. Scrolled all the way down and already narrowed the 9,665 pages of products down to the Civic ones for me (I hope). Mine is the hatch so I feel like the red headed step child to find parts for this car. Mostly speaking about exhaust and some other mods. Darn me not researching which one was more popular haha.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
I ran them for years on my EX-T, TRS said I was one of the first couple sets they had shipped to Canada when they originally came out. I now have the OEM LED on my Canadian Si.

The aesthetics are unreal and that's basically what you're buying them for. As far as performance, they and the OEM are both ass compared to an actual HID projector. On the Morimoto, the DRL being evenly lit the whole way across just looks so much better as does the sharp cutoff. RIP every other driver on the road that has to deal with our pre-2020 OEM LED because the glare is gross, as confirmed by the IIHS who gave all 16-19 Civics a poor headlight rating - halogens due to poor output and LED due to excessive glare. I feel like an actual hazard on the road driving my Si at night.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
I ran them for years on my EX-T, TRS said I was one of the first couple sets they had shipped to Canada when they originally came out. I now have the OEM LED on my Canadian Si.

The aesthetics are unreal and that's basically what you're buying them for. As far as performance, they and the OEM are both ass compared to an actual HID projector. On the Morimoto, the DRL being evenly lit the whole way across just looks so much better as does the sharp cutoff. RIP every other driver on the road that has to deal with our pre-2020 OEM LED because the glare is gross, as confirmed by the IIHS who gave all 16-19 Civics a poor headlight rating - halogens due to poor output and LED due to excessive glare. I feel like an actual hazard on the road driving my Si at night.
You're incorrect on the headlights. The Type R didn't receive the updated headlights and the part numbers reflect this. The headlight PNs are the same for 2017 - 2021. The new headlights only apply the lower trims and Si.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I put the Morimoto's on yesterday and i absolutely love the way they look. So much cleaner, changes the look of the front end. Have yet to drive with them in the dark.
Sponsored