Morimoto HID 5500K 35W

Roonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Can you post the locations you decided to install the ballasts?
Sponsored

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
Damn, i was also hoping for an answer to this, sincerely I'll be installing mt Morimoto kit tomorrow. I'm leasing, so I'll have to get by without drilling. I guess I'll try to remember to get some photos...

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, i was also hoping for an answer to this, sincerely I'll be installing mt Morimoto kit tomorrow. I'm leasing, so I'll have to get by without drilling. I guess I'll try to remember to get some photos...
I'm installing mine tomorrow as well. Good luck to you!

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
I guess Installed. Not super satisfied with the placements, though. The relay i got is fairly large, and my restriction of not drilling was an issue. Nonetheless, it works. For now, i placed foam chunks aside the ballasts to keep them i place. I'll be buying some good double-stick foam tape this week.

I placed the relay to the left (facing the engne) of thy e fuse box, and used a ziptie to hold the screwhole so it doesn't tilt downward. The right lamp ballast is beside the washer fluid fill pipe, which i will tape to the frame. And Its' cable is fed under the lip of the front piece of plastic along the front of the engine compartment, with h a ziptie at each end. Due to the short length of the cable and relax y location, the left ballast is to the right(car left) of the fuse box. Again, I'll use foam tape to afix it to the frame, as nd i think I'll use heat-resisant foam if i keep it against the fuse box, since i assume the ballast will get toasty.

I was hoping for a better placement scheme, but everything is away from heat producing components and all should stay in place.

I had 36w LEDs in there before. They were certainly better than the OEM halogens, but the throw distance was disappointing. But my 40w LED highbeams are great. Can't wait to try them out tonight. Luckily, I'm far enough north that's fully dark by 5pm.

Update: Well i went around town, and out of town on the unlit highway. Holy crap, what a difference compared to my OEM and LEDs. Looong throw, wide, clean pattern, and nice color. Though apparently they take a few dozen hours of break-in to get to thei true color. (i have 5500k). But i see they're a bit high. I only got flashed by one guy, but i can see that once other lower cars get farther than 80m away, I'm shining into their rear window a bit. plus I can see that they're pointing juuuusut beyond level. Now i just have to find that one screwdriver that's long/thin enough to fit down there...

Last edited:

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tested out my new headlights today as well. Really bright and shines wide. Color is a bit weird (currently a green-ish hue to it) but after 30-40 hours the bulbs should have been broken in. Takes a couple of seconds for the bulbs to become fully lit and once they're lit, they're amazing. Like Abramumum had mentioned, the light does shine a bit higher than the OEM headlights. No one has flashed me YET. Now to find some decent mounting places for the ballasts and relay. Picked up some double-sided tape at The Home Depot today.

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Abramumum - can post some pics to where you have installed the ballasts and relay?

@Andy123az - also please share some photos and the location of the same. :)

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why do m
@Abramumum - can post some pics to where you have installed the ballasts and relay?

@Andy123az - also please share some photos and the location of the same. :)
Relay currently sits next to fuse box facing the front of the car. Ballasts are currently ziptied but will soon find a permanent mounting place for them.

hurricane379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Just installed the morimoto 5500k 35w kit tonight. Already had the ballasts so just had to order the relay and right bulb size. Output is soooo much better than the Auxbeam LED's I had put in. Color is greenish-yellow but from the front looks to match the DRL's perfectly. Install was easy just finding space for everything was the only part that took a little bit.

Howver, I am getting return wire shadows, anyone else getting these? Also, did anyone put the orange seal from the halogen bubs on the HID bulbs?

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If you're getting wire shadows in your light output, you bought the wrong bulbs.

I think Morimoto has H11A and H11B, for this exact reason. I suggest you take pictures and send to TRS. They should replace it.

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
You'll get a slightly less bright spot, either way. Using B's put it right at the bottom. But it's barely noticeable once they reach full brightness, and it doesn't reach very far out. Maybe a couple metres.

Perhaps they sent A's by mistake? Compare to the picture :
Honda Civic 10th gen Morimoto HID 5500K 35W {filename}

hurricane379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Thanks for the replies. I'll post pictures tonight when it gets dark. DOuble checked box and bulbs and they are the 11b's