Morimoto HID 5500K 35W

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Honda Civic 10th gen Morimoto HID 5500K 35W ima
So, I had GTR Lighting Gen2 LED conversion kit on my 2014 Civic for the fog lights and they were bright as hell, just as bright as HID's. When I got rid of it, I figured why not use them for my headlights. Well, the output was useless since they were slightly dimmer than the OEM Halogen bulbs because of the projector housing. I ended up taking the odds and got myself the Morimoto Elite HID conversion kit (H11B, 35W ballasts, HD relay, and 5500K bulbs). The output is 3 times brighter than the halogens, and matches the DRL's perfectly. The beam pattern is a lot wider now and makes the difference between night and day.
Sponsored

Yan_0089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
image.jpeg
So, I had GTR Lighting Gen2 LED conversion kit on my 2014 Civic for the fog lights and they were bright as hell, just as bright as HID's. When I got rid of it, I figured why not use them for my headlights. Well, the output was useless since they were slightly dimmer than the OEM Halogen bulbs because of the projector housing. I ended up taking the odds and got myself the Morimoto Elite HID conversion kit (H11B, 35W ballasts, HD relay, and 5500K bulbs). The output is 3 times brighter than the halogens, and matches the DRL's perfectly. The beam pattern is a lot wider now and makes the difference between night and day.
Hey, these lights look great I've been wanting to do this to my civic, do you mind posting a link to where you bought them at? Also I see here that you mentioned you installed a relay, does the kit bring one or did you install it yourself? I keep seeing that people have installed leds, or hids but that some mention about the thinness of the light cable and I just don't want to have a problem down the line that could cause me a big problem.

OP
OP
gio5612

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hey, these lights look great I've been wanting to do this to my civic, do you mind posting a link to where you bought them at? Also I see here that you mentioned you installed a relay, does the kit bring one or did you install it yourself? I keep seeing that people have installed leds, or hids but that some mention about the thinness of the light cable and I just don't want to have a problem down the line that could cause me a big problem.

OP
OP
gio5612

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Time to install, roughly 20 minutes. Difficulty, 3 out of 10.
I bought them off theretrofitsource.com. The kit comes with everything you need. They also have very helpful videos on YouTube on how to install them.

Yan_0089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Time to install, roughly 20 minutes. Difficulty, 3 out of 10.
I bought them off theretrofitsource.com. The kit comes with everything you need. They also have very helpful videos on YouTube on how to install them.
Thanks! I'll check them out

OP
OP
gio5612

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Morimoto's are just as good, if not, they exceed OEM quality. They are expensive but well worth it.

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can you show us where did you place the ballast and the hd relay kit? thanks

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What made you choose the 35W over the 50W? Im thinking about getting the same kit but in 50W.

OP
OP
gio5612

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
What made you choose the 35W over the 50W? Im thinking about getting the same kit but in 50W.
Based off the fact that this is a very high quality kit that is significantly brighter than the cheap garbage found on eBay. The 50w kit will run much hotter, and keep in mind that the projectors on our cars are not meant for HID's. They will cause glare on other drivers due to the squirrel spotters that throw light above the cutoff.

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based off the fact that this is a very high quality kit that is significantly brighter than the cheap garbage found on eBay. The 50w kit will run much hotter, and keep in mind that the projectors on our cars are not meant for HID's. They will cause glare on other drivers due to the squirrel spotters that throw light above the cutoff.
Based on several replies, it seems that the 35W kit is the way to go. How is the kit holding up? Does it match the DRL's fairly well?

OP
OP
gio5612

gio5612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Based on several replies, it seems that the 35W kit is the way to go. How is the kit holding up? Does it match the DRL's fairly well?
I've had mine since August, and absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Be aware though, if you decide to go with the 5500K bulbs, they will have a yellow/green tint to them until they are broken in. That's completely normal for the HID's.

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How does the HID kit look from behind the wheel. On the third picture you posted, it seems like the area directly in front of your vehicle isn't covered. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I know fog lights are supposed to take care of that but would like to see the range that the Morimoto kit offers.
Sponsored