More sad news for the manual

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Rowing gears is fun, but humans can't keep up with how fast and efficient a computer can shift a car these days. :/

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
All my cars in over 40 years of driving have been manuals except for my first (Chevy V8 auto) and my current '16 Civic. I had a Nissan Maxima with a manual -- a very rare bird.

I don't want another manual. After driving the Civic CVT the last two years I've concluded I'm done with manuals.

It's just so easy to drive the CVT. I occasionally miss the high rpm thrill of a manual but not enough to go back.

I get my manual thrills on my motorcycle. My motorcycle's performance envelope is so much higher than any car I've owned -- there's no comparison.

I'll get my thrills on the bike and be happy and content with the CVT.

turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
id hate to see the true manual in the auto world fade out, its always been a great driving experience to push a clutch and shift a gear

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
All my cars in over 40 years of driving have been manuals except for my first (Chevy V8 auto) and my current '16 Civic. I had a Nissan Maxima with a manual -- a very rare bird.

I don't want another manual. After driving the Civic CVT the last two years I've concluded I'm done with manuals.

It's just so easy to drive the CVT. I occasionally miss the high rpm thrill of a manual but not enough to go back.

I get my manual thrills on my motorcycle. My motorcycle's performance envelope is so much higher than any car I've owned -- there's no comparison.

I'll get my thrills on the bike and be happy and content with the CVT.
Holy crap, good on Datsun for putting a manual in the Maxima. A friend of mine had an Xterra which was a manual. Blew me away when I saw that.

Sadly manuals will eventually disappear, hopefully not in my lifetime. CVT, and even modern AT just have better accelleration/efficiency and more reliable operation (more often as time passes).

OP
OP
Lukifer

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
For me, it's not as much about going a split second faster as the experience of driving.

For that, there's no replacement for a manual transmission.
I agree. Every time I drive my Si, I feel like we grow a little closer. I continue to improve my rev matching on downshifts and quick launches without spinning the tires. I'm learning how it likes to scurry out of turns and what gear to be in at my current speed for maximum power delivery. All of this is lost on an automatic.

I know that one day manuals will be gone, and I will mourn a bygone era of automotive history; a time when driving offered a pinch of magic and substance before it was watered down for the masses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukifer

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Holy crap, good on Datsun for putting a manual in the Maxima. A friend of mine had an Xterra which was a manual. Blew me away when I saw that.

Sadly manuals will eventually disappear, hopefully not in my lifetime. CVT, and even modern AT just have better accelleration/efficiency and more reliable operation (more often as time passes).
My uncle had a Ford Aerostar minivan with a manual back in the day. I couldn't believe it! lol

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m so glad I took the risk by buying my Type R not knowing how to drive stick. Learning it may have been a struggle sometimes but now I have so much fun driving and a lot of it is the feeling that rowing your own gears provides.

Most kids don’t even want to drive themselves so it’s not a shock they don’t want to shift their own gears either. Sucks but a lot of millennials my age think manuals are not practical... but they will never understand what it feels like to have a connection with a car.
Sponsored