First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The sad truth is manuals will be gone wether we like it or not. Automakers are in business to make money, why would they continue dumping money into R&D and manufacturing for something that just dosent sell.

I would love to see the manual transmission make a comeback...but it seems like the masses prefer automation over feeling the car.

With that being said...I will only purchase a car that has a manual transmission until the day they don’t exist anymore, I could care less that your automatic shifts faster and gets better gas mileage.
Sponsored

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
I’m so glad I took the risk by buying my Type R not knowing how to drive stick. Learning it may have been a struggle sometimes but now I have so much fun driving and a lot of it is the feeling that rowing your own gears provides.

Most kids don’t even want to drive themselves so it’s not a shock they don’t want to shift their own gears either. Sucks but a lot of millennials my age think manuals are not practical... but they will never understand what it feels like to have a connection with a car.
S

You are exactly right. Most people dont want to be bothered with driving anymore. Lane keep assist, auto braking, auto cruise control they can keep it. I dont need a computer driving for me. I am considered a millennial but I dont fit the norm. I would rather drive my car and row my own then worry about my phone like most people even alot older then me. Thats why i think alot of people dont buy them hard to text and check emails in traffic with a manual. All i know is i bought one auto in my life and hated it. I will never buy another one and if they stop selling cars with manuals i will just buy used older stuff with manuals. Same goes for electric cars. Never.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
MTs account for less than 4% or less than 1 in 25 . Why ? Although they still cost a bit less, they are far more trouble to drive. And computer controlled auto trans like the CVT keep getting better. Handwriting on the wall, only a matter of time 'till MTs aren't offered at all.
And you've fallen into the same trap all the haters do.

You conveniently failed to mention **why** people buy manuals.

We buy them because we like them. Why didn't you mention that?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Buyers stop buying when the only manual you make is on a fucking Civix DX only or whatever. Then the Type R is marked up $15k. There should always be a well equipped standard Civix EX or EXL with a manual in every form factor. Then people will buy it.
Dude, I actually own a DX (look at my profile).

Even an LX isn't anything like that car. The DX was the quintessential econobox with crank windows and manual locks and all of that. My AC and cassette radio were dealer-installed options and it didn't have power steering (the dealer was a sport and threw in the radio!).

What do you get with an EX over an LX? An head unit running Android 4 and 16 more HP.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Everyone is forgetting that the US isn't the world.

Other countries have a higher ratio of manual to automatics than we do.

What that means is that we might not be offered manuals in the future even if they are offered in other countries. We'll probably be able to import them and do conversions in the future, even though that would suck.

I don't believe the manual will go away in the near term. I do believe it will be harder to find in the US and be more and more confined to purpose built drivers cars such as the CTR, GT350R, 1LE, etc.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Dude, I actually own a DX (look at my profile).

Even an LX isn't anything like that car. The DX was the quintessential econobox with crank windows and manual locks and all of that. My AC and cassette radio were dealer-installed options and it didn't have power steering (the dealer was a sport and threw in the radio!).

What do you get with an EX over an LX? An head unit running Android 4 and 16 more HP.
Oh how I miss a good manual steering rack.

In fact, I'm putting one in my 93 Si to get that positive feedback feel.

iulianm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW Golf 7 GTI DSG
Country flag
I say the manuals are dying because people have more money to spend on cars.

Something I noticed in US vs EU:

I'm from EU and recently moved to US. I learned to drive a manual, did my driving exam on manual and drove manuals for 13 years. The only reason I never had an automatic transmission in EU was the cost: the AT option was almost 2000E (which is $2200) give or take.

Most of my friends were also driving manuals just because of cost: cars were more expensive to buy and to run. In EU most countries tax the CO2 and conventional automatics usually have higher CO2 numbers so that 2000E additional cost can translate to 3000-4000Euro including extra tax.

On a small city car which is ~$12.000-14.000 popular in EU (such as Renault Clio), a $2000 auto option is almost 20% of the value of the car.

The average car price in EU went up in the past years and now is ~25.000Euro including taxes *which are ~20%) and in US is ~$35.000 (doesn't include the sales tax).

If this trend continues, cost of automatic wouldn't be such a dramatic increase over the total cost of the car and more and more people will tick the boxes.

After 13 years of driving manuals, I cannot be happier with my automatic car in US.

I understand the fun factor of manuals but not for a economical family compact car that's meant to be used as a daily driver. Maybe on a weekend car such as Mazda MX-5 when there's little to no traffic.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I always knew that car manufacturers are artificially minimizing the premium for the AT by overcharging the MT enthusiasts in the US market. Since in the US those few who pick the MT really want the MT, they are not given the savings they deserve. No way the AT costs only that much more.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Country flag
You want to know what's really disappointing? In the UK and rest of Europe, they will release the 2019 Honda HRV in a manual transmission option even on the highest trim level where here in United States & Canada we get only automatic. The outgoing 2018s were the last to offer in manual. Yeah I know it's an HRV and not a civic but still to offer a manual these days? C'mon!

I've been discussing with Honda dealerships overseas to give more info on this and contacting DMV, border customs, and Dept of Transportation about importing one like I did with the 2010 CSX. Currently they will release a manual option powered by a 1.5 litre i-VTEC naturally aspirated but what's even more interesting is that following Spring of 2019 they will offer a 1.5L Vtec Turbo with a manual which includes leather, panoramic, full trim, that's my dream! And maybe still waiting for the upcoming SI and Hatchback options before that.

Last edited:

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
[QUOTE="MTs account for less than 4% or less than 1 in 25 . ...]

And you've fallen into the same trap all the haters do.

You conveniently failed to mention **why** people buy manuals.

We buy them because we like them. Why didn't you mention that?"[/QUOTE]

See # 37 . Several things to note. I've been advised that the correct numbers are less than 2% or less than 1 in 50. I clearly cited the reason nearly all people don't go for MTs, and so, perhaps by inference, why some few do go for MTs . Dare I suggest that some few actually like rowing through 6 gears ? Must be a thrill in busy or stop 'n go traffic ( which is ever increasing ). You buy them because you like them ? You should elaborate on that.

Last edited:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You buy them because you like them ? You should elaborate on that.
I like the manual because it is cheaper to buy, gets better fuel economy than the CVT, and it seems more capable of handling power increasing modifications than the CVT.

The CVT does some things better than the manual in my opinion. But the manual ended up winning based on my criteria.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
MTs account for less than 4% or less than 1 in 25 . Why ? Although they still cost a bit less, they are far more trouble to drive. And computer controlled auto trans like the CVT keep getting better. Handwriting on the wall, only a matter of time 'till MTs aren't offered at all.
get lost you little idiot. This is why nobody likes you.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
get lost you little idiot. This is why nobody likes you.
Is that so ?! I still get better than 25% thanked for my posts. Probably not terrific but not bad. Why don't you address what I say, instead or trying to discredit me personally, which is after all, very childish.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Easier to sell a used automatic car. Population of potential buyers is much, much larger.

Few want a manual. Just ask the dealers.

Recently sold my old manual Accord. Many were interested until they discovered it was a manual. A starter car for their high school daughter. Couldn't drive a manual. Didn't want one. Just wanted to jump in and go -- not learn how to operate a manual.
Sponsored