First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No offense meant to anyone, but with all the arguing back and forth, a guy like me has no clue which way to go at this point.
All I want to know at this point, if its not needed and I've already been taken in, CAN IT HURT ANYTHING LEAVING IT INSTALLED?
The condensation that fills this up in the winter time, where is it formed if you don't have a can, or is it only due to the can being there in the first place and if not ,where does it go if it isn't? Mishimoto didn't mention it could freeze and block everything up like I'm starting to hear.
Sponsored

Wraith

Technician
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R, 2008 Civic sedan LX, 2000 Civic hatchback
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/mape...-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/

Seems like a lot of detailed information for someone who doesn't know how engines work.
That is just this engine. Sure, Honda has made a good valve cover with great baffles to help trap the oil in the air exiting out of the crankcase. They had to with a Direct Injection engine. Since there isn't an injector to clean off the back of the intake valve and keep it clean. Other engines aren't as beneficial to this technology. Whether it's Audi, VW, Nissan, and many other 4 cylinders that I've pulled the intake manifold off and dumped oil out it. I also shouldn't have written just boosted engines.

Considering most manufacturers don’t include a catch can from the factory I don’t think it benefits as much as you think
They don't call them catch cans. Crankcase ventilation systems are on all engines nowadays. Some diesels have filters built into their separator system. A decently designed system will work great. Other older engines, definitely will benefit.

My brother is an F1 engineer for Red Bull, lets just say I wont be fitting one.
F1 racing is different. Bespoke engines built and designed for one reason. Also with limited space since there is a sensor for everything imaginable. Rest assured, though, there is a system on that engine. Just not a "catch can" per say.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Like I said I wont be fitting one and yes F1 engines are highly tuned bespoke pieces of engineering. But when your brother who not only has spent his life working on bespoke racing engines but also along side the companies that produce them I think he would know a thing or two about engines in general, racing or not. Its upto the individual, its your car.
Sponsored