JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Took my sister for a cruise in my new 2020 Si and was driving lets say sporty even though I should probably have been a little easier since its still in break in but it has 300 miles on it...Anyway I pulled through the gears not to red line but I shifted late for sure as I merged onto the highway so I am going like 70 in 6th and had a slow car ahead. I go to upshift to 5th to pass. I clutch in, blip the throttle, up shift and when I dump the clutch and straight to red line. The lights blinking and the chime, fuel cut off, the whole deal. I quickly clutched in and got it back into 6th gear and car was still driving no MIL light and no apparent mechanical issues. I have been driving automatics for too long. At least its still under warranty and I even bought the extended warranty LOL although I think she is okay and it was a lesson to be more mindful of my shifting and that I need to practice on this Manual more before I try to get to aggressive. This is my first daily driver manual in many years.

Just for peace of mind Ill probably throw it on the Autel tomorrow make sure everything checks out and run compression on all 4 cylinders but I do not think it got over 7k before I was able to down shift and with stock red line at 6500 realistically you could probably go close to 10K, at least in a healthy L15B7 before it turned into a real bye bye engine Money Shift. Honda knows people are gonna money shift, it happens the the best of them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
3rd gear tops out at ~82 on the 2020 Si so you should be okay if you were going ~70. 5th and 6th are overdrive so in the future you can drop down to 4th instead and that's good for 100+. If you did overrev your motor, the ecu will store a code for Honda to void your warranty.

PS:
Shifting into a higher gear = upshift
Shifting into a lower gear = downshift

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You definitely need more practice.

"so I am going like 70 in 6th and had a slow car ahead. I go to upshift to 5th to pass."

I know you meant to say downshift. Personally I probably would have downshifted to 4th to pass but to each his own. So, the reality is, you misshifted. We've all done that from time to time in our manual careers. You didn't really money shift. You bounced off the rev limiter. You'll be fine. Just don't make a habit of it. :cool:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't get it how it's possible to do a money shift by going 70 in the 6th gear and then downshifting to the 5th....:dunno:
Yeah I'm not clear here. There's only like a 500 RPM difference between 5th and 6th at highway speeds. Unless he was just going WOT in neutral and bounced off the rev limiter.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would down shift to 4th in that situation.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm not clear here. There's only like a 500 RPM difference between 5th and 6th at highway speeds. Unless he was just going WOT in neutral and bounced off the rev limiter.
That's EXACTLY what it sounds like he did. A misshift where he gunned it for a split second while it was in neutral. Like I said earlier this wasn't a true money shift where he downshifted to 2nd and overevved to 9,000 rpm or something.

His engine is fine. I just don't know why he was driving it that hard with only 300 miles on the odometer.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He meant to go to 5th but instead grabbed 3rd. If the speeds are correct then as an earlier poster said it wouldn’t be a true money shift as third tops out above 80mph. But, yeah, it would have put you in the “shift now!” zone with flashing shift lights etc as OP described.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, OP. The highest gear to cause a “money shift” at 70 MPH is 2nd. The redline in 3rd is over 80 MPH.

Downshifts at 70 MPH from 6th to either 5th, 4th or 3rd would not have mechanically caused the car to exceed redline. Now if you went into 1st vice 5th or 3rd... you’d have tried to make the engine spin about 2x redline. I’m not even sure you could force it into 1st from 6th without really.... really forcing it...and then if the clutch was full out I’d expect the motor to come apart like a cheap watch.

Whatever it was, motor seems fine... no unusual noises or ticks (beyond the usual for a DI engine) then just keep on driving and count it as an experience to not repeat. Had the engine failed, Honda would likely not covered the repair. Same as if you wrecked it. They’re not going to fix the car from their customer’s accident.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
He mis-shifted into 3rd. I understood “moneyshifting” to mean exactly what he did, with perhaps stuff breaking too.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a bad misshift up close and personal:

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here's a bad misshift up close and personal:

That hurt to watch. I wanted an RSX so badly as a teenager (still do actually)

toastyJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yea I actually money shifted my car less than a week having it, it's my first manual I was trying to show off to my lil bro. Don't remember what I did but all the lights came on, alerts kept popping up on the cluster "x system not working" limped it home that night. Brought it to the dealer next morning, all the lights had turned off by then. Tech told me not too worry about it, Honda doesn't need to know. I think I've money shifted a handful of times after that but not enough to trigger system failures, my warranty is probably void tho. Haven't money shifted in a while but recently I've come into the habit of grinding gears, mostly second. I'm keeping my car stock and I probably have until 60k before everything stops working on me so I'm secretly saving up to come out of pocket for repairs. lol.

TL;DR If system failures didn't flash on your cluster you'll be fine.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Yea I actually money shifted my car less than a week having it, it's my first manual I was trying to show off to my lil bro. Don't remember what I did but all the lights came on, alerts kept popping up on the cluster "x system not working" limped it home that night. Brought it to the dealer next morning, all the lights had turned off by then. Tech told me not too worry about it, Honda doesn't need to know. I think I've money shifted a handful of times after that but not enough to trigger system failures, my warranty is probably void tho. Haven't money shifted in a while but recently I've come into the habit of grinding gears, mostly second. I'm keeping my car stock and I probably have until 60k before everything stops working on me so I'm secretly saving up to come out of pocket for repairs. lol.

TL;DR If system failures didn't flash on your cluster you'll be fine.
I really hope you are joking - otherwise why are you purposely killing your car?
Sponsored