JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Although the owner's manual regards the first 1500 miles as a break in period, it is a long slope. The original engine oil is designed to reduce heat and allow proper break in, reducing potential for glazing. The cylinder walls were plateau-honed and the engine had good oil and was warmed-up but you are way shy of being done with break-in ESPECIALLY when it comes to the gearbox. Full gearbox/clutch and engine is not broken in until North of 7500 miles. Before you have reached 1000 miles, you should not exceed 4k RPM and starts should be with light throttle. The synchros need time to break in and everything is just way too new right now.

I have money-shifted I think 3 times and misshifted like over 5 times. Unless you are on a mission to destroy your powertrain and get new units, I would recommend major changes. 60k may seem like a long time away and maybe it is based on how much you drive but for me it happened quick. I am at 77k now. I know I still have compression. I recommend better oil than 0w-20. Also, gear oil should not be this super-lite Honda crap. Put a little heavier and protective stuff in there designed for syncros. You can do that now. The gates will feel more distinct and you will be far less likely to cause full grinds like in your 1-2 shift. Give it time and give your shifts time. These cars require manual rev-matching. It takes like a year at least before you kind of memorize the multiplication tables, and blip the throttle or wait properly however many milliseconds it takes. People will tell you that tuning will reduce rev hang but I am not tuned, so I can't tell you how much it can or will.
I usually use Pennzoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid in cars I work on and was planning on using that and after reading the comments on here seems like a good idea to run maybe 0W-30 engine oil with high wear protection. As far as breaking it in I try to take it easy but sometimes I cannot help myself. That is why I bout the extended 100K 7 Year warranty Bumper to Bumper. LOL Seriously I do try to take it easy on her but she wants to go fast sometimes :(
Sponsored

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I feel like as a new Si owner coming from an automatic, getting over the fear of accidently getting it in reverse made me much more aware of shifter position. That said I am still doing noob things a month in. I was at a red light in Long Beach on my way to work and I was trying to grab my coffee real quick and the light turned green. In a panic I put the coffee down and came off the clutch too high and stalled...guy behind me honked. I threw up my hands. I was prepared to exist vehicle and fight as he pulled up next to me. It was my boss. :flame:
haha great story! i have a magnet on the back of mine that says "learning stick shift". I honestly think it has helped. Because sometimes people get right up on me, and then they read it and seem to back off a little. I still get the assholes that wanna tailgate every so often - but i do think the magnet has helped.

I have not been so worried about R - as R is locked out unless you are at a full stop. I think you would have to REALLY try to get it into R. Same for 1st. You would have to really push it to get into first while moving.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tell that to my wife! She has twice pushed the lever from D to R while reaching across my lap with the car moving forward at parking lot speeds. I applied full braking instantly both times and there was a jerking, but no bad sound or noticeable effect to the CVT. She's almost done it to me on the highway a few times, not sure if it locks out or if I successfully stopped her in time.
Sounds like there needs to be a new "in car" rule ... that she keeps her hands away from your lap!
Use of THAT stick should be reserved for the bedroom, or when the car is in PARK, and turned off.
:lol: o_O
(no insults intended ... only humor)

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Sounds like there needs to be a new "in car" rule ... that she keeps her hands away from your lap!
Use of THAT stick should be reserved for the bedroom, or when the car is in PARK, and turned off.
:lol: o_O
(no insults intended ... only humor)
Yeah - keep that shenanigans to lovers lane!

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I usually use Pennzoil Synchromesh Transmission Fluid in cars I work on and was planning on using that and after reading the comments on here seems like a good idea to run maybe 0W-30 engine oil with high wear protection. As far as breaking it in I try to take it easy but sometimes I cannot help myself. That is why I bout the extended 100K 7 Year warranty Bumper to Bumper. LOL Seriously I do try to take it easy on her but she wants to go fast sometimes :(
Sounds good man but if you really wanted to rag on the car then you could force it to get past the initial break in period by taking two days to get past the 1000 mile threshold. But it is your investment. I see my car as a transportation tool today. Like you I saw it more as a toy and way to "blow off steam" in the beginning. Maybe I have learned more fully what my car is and what it can do and not do well. No matter what we do it is not meant to be a Mustang GT or Supra. To be a quick little Honda, work within its structural limits.

rayt

First Name
rayt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport sedan 2.0l manual
Country flag
I'm not new to manual transmissions but new to a 6 spd transmission. When I first got my 2019 sport there was a few times I went into 4th from 5th when I was intending to go to 6 on the highway.
Took my sister for a cruise in my new 2020 Si and was driving lets say sporty even though I should probably have been a little easier since its still in break in but it has 300 miles on it...Anyway I pulled through the gears not to red line but I shifted late for sure as I merged onto the highway so I am going like 70 in 6th and had a slow car ahead. I go to upshift to 5th to pass. I clutch in, blip the throttle, up shift and when I dump the clutch and straight to red line. The lights blinking and the chime, fuel cut off, the whole deal. I quickly clutched in and got it back into 6th gear and car was still driving no MIL light and no apparent mechanical issues. I have been driving automatics for too long. At least its still under warranty and I even bought the extended warranty LOL although I think she is okay and it was a lesson to be more mindful of my shifting and that I need to practice on this Manual more before I try to get to aggressive. This is my first daily driver manual in many years.

Just for peace of mind Ill probably throw it on the Autel tomorrow make sure everything checks out and run compression on all 4 cylinders but I do not think it got over 7k before I was able to down shift and with stock red line at 6500 realistically you could probably go close to 10K, at least in a healthy L15B7 before it turned into a real bye bye engine Money Shift. Honda knows people are gonna money shift, it happens the the best of them.
I'm not new to manual transmissions but new to a 6 spd transmission. When I first got my 2019 sport there was a few times I went into 4th from 5th when I was intending to go to 6 on the highway.
Luckily my RPM was only at 3000 so it jumped to 4000. But yea it was an unpleasant experience. I don't know about other 6 spds in other cars, but it seems that with this one your transition and stick movement from 5th to 6th and vice versa has to be fast. If you pause for a second it will slip in to the other gear. But weirdly enough I have never had a issue going from 6th to 5th. Its the 5th to 6th that gets me.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Luckily my RPM was only at 3000 so it jumped to 4000. But yea it was an unpleasant experience. I don't know about other 6 spds in other cars, but it seems that with this one your transition and stick movement from 5th to 6th and vice versa has to be fast. If you pause for a second it will slip in to the other gear. But weirdly enough I have never had a issue going from 6th to 5th. Its the 5th to 6th that gets me.
Having driven it more personally I have found I just really have to make sure the stick is to the far right before I up or down shift between 5th and 6th so I give it a good slap over and then up or down not forceful but enough to make sure I am in the right row because since it is a small and short shifter it is easy to up shift and think your putting it into 6th and get surprised when you release the clutch and it revs to high hell and you realize you put it in to 4th. LOL I did it again...twice just cruising along. It did not seem to hurt anything and would not want to do that often which is why I give it a solid push over to the right before I push the shifter in to the gate. Reverse is locked out at highway speed so not chance of accidentally going into reverse so better to be sure I am gong into proper gear

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Having driven it more personally I have found I just really have to make sure the stick is to the far right before I up or down shift between 5th and 6th so I give it a good slap over and then up or down not forceful but enough to make sure I am in the right row because since it is a small and short shifter it is easy to up shift and think your putting it into 6th and get surprised when you release the clutch and it revs to high hell and you realize you put it in to 4th. LOL I did it again...twice just cruising along. It did not seem to hurt anything and would not want to do that often which is why I give it a solid push over to the right before I push the shifter in to the gate. Reverse is locked out at highway speed so not chance of accidentally going into reverse so better to be sure I am gong into proper gear
One thing I forgot to mention is that the gearbox connection to shifter is via cables as you are probably aware and it's not like the old mechanical connections that let you feel your way as you rowed through the gears. Acuity has stepped up to provide us parts to improve feel but being the cheapskate I am, I just learned better and swapped in better gear oil in my case Motul 75-90 Gear 300.

When I drove my son's 2003 Mazda Protege I told him it felt like sex! Feel-wise it is so superior to these new hi-tech cars.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
One thing I forgot to mention is that the gearbox connection to shifter is via cables as you are probably aware and it's not like the old mechanical connections that let you feel your way as you rowed through the gears. Acuity has stepped up to provide us parts to improve feel but being the cheapskate I am, I just learned better and swapped in better gear oil in my case Motul 75-90 Gear 300.

When I drove my son's 2003 Mazda Protege I told him it felt like sex! Feel-wise it is so superior to these new hi-tech cars.
Yea I am gong to put in some Acuity Bushings for sure and swap out the tranny fluid. Motul 75-90 sounds like a good option.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is a real money shift on a VW Golf. Blew a rocker straight through the Valve cover.
Sponsored