Money Shifted my new Si today :(

toastyJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Why drive poorly knowing you’re going to damage the car? That makes absolutely no sense. There’s a difference in fun, spirited driving, and destructive driving.
For the most part I don't get on the throttle but when I do something happens so I definitely think it's me. The money shifting happened 3-4 times at most. The gear grinding I don't understand tho, most of the time I'm on the clutch and try to shift to second and it'll grind. It happens 2-3 times a month, I think there's a learning hump I just haven't been able to climb. I figured out the issue from 1st to 2nd I just have to wait a bit, doesn't matter if I'm on the clutch it's based on how long I've been off the throttle.
Sponsored

FC3xAP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 2006 S2000
Country flag
Yea I actually money shifted my car less than a week having it, it's my first manual I was trying to show off to my lil bro. Don't remember what I did but all the lights came on, alerts kept popping up on the cluster "x system not working" limped it home that night. Brought it to the dealer next morning, all the lights had turned off by then. Tech told me not too worry about it, Honda doesn't need to know. I think I've money shifted a handful of times after that but not enough to trigger system failures, my warranty is probably void tho. Haven't money shifted in a while but recently I've come into the habit of grinding gears, mostly second. I'm keeping my car stock and I probably have until 60k before everything stops working on me so I'm secretly saving up to come out of pocket for repairs. lol.

TL;DR If system failures didn't flash on your cluster you'll be fine.
This is why I hesitate to buy used manual cars

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For the most part I don't get on the throttle but when I do something happens so I definitely think it's me. The money shifting happened 3-4 times at most. The gear grinding I don't understand tho, most of the time I'm on the clutch and try to shift to second and it'll grind. It happens 2-3 times a month, I think there's a learning hump I just haven't been able to climb. I figured out the issue from 1st to 2nd I just have to wait a bit, doesn't matter if I'm on the clutch it's based on how long I've been off the throttle.
There is not such a thing as a “4th” money shift.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
It's important for the unpracticed to remember to "vector" your shifter throws. A 6 speed is a double "H" pattern. With the center gears centered in the spring enforced position.

When shifting into 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th you must remember to always use a "vectored" force. When shifting in 5th and 6th you must always be pushing the shifter away from you while moving it fore and aft into gears. The same with 1st and 2nd. You must always be pulling the shifter towards you when moving the shifter fore and aft. If you don't, you'll do what the original poster did. The centering springs will push the shifter into the 3rd and 4th gear zone without you noticing. And just because you didn't notice it, doesn't mean that you won't have expensive consequences.

The best practice is to not "grab" the shifter with your fist. Instead use a flat open hand to push the stick around, with a 45 degree push away from you for 5th and 6th. And a 45 degree pull toward you for 1st and 2nd.

Just a little "common sense" from the 1960's where 80% of the cars on the road had clutches.

Instruction of shifter manipulation is between the 1 and 3 minute mark:

https://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/how-to-drive-a-stick-shift.html

DeftSalmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thought I would share. This channel is one of my faves and here is the money-shift test! 90km/hour to 1st gear.

Lots of great automotive tests (and they rebuilt a tank)

(edit: won't let me embed youtube vid, sorry!)
(edit-edit: looks like it embedded)

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sorry for the wrong terminology was typing that late. Yes I "Downshifted' into 3rd from 6th while trying to hit 5th. Luckily it was not a true money shift whether I blipped the throttle in Natural and redlined it or it actually engaged 3rd at Highway speeds. I pulled all the plugs today and did a compression test on all 4 Cyl are at 150 PSI so I didn't blow a piston or ring or valve.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
3rd gear tops out at ~82 on the 2020 Si so you should be okay if you were going ~70. 5th and 6th are overdrive so in the future you can drop down to 4th instead and that's good for 100+. If you did overrev your motor, the ecu will store a code for Honda to void your warranty.

PS:
Shifting into a higher gear = upshift
Shifting into a lower gear = downshift
I actually used to work at a dealership as a tech and while technically yea they could probably deny a claim if you money shift your car and blow the engine citing driver error or improper driving or unsafe operation. If it is still under the full warranty I would say most dealerships would honor the claim and do the repair because they get paid by the Manufacturer to repair it. The tech doing the repair might not be to happy as they are getting warranty work hours but the dealer gets paid and that all that matters in that world. At least in my experience.

ryox82

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I feel like as a new Si owner coming from an automatic, getting over the fear of accidently getting it in reverse made me much more aware of shifter position. That said I am still doing noob things a month in. I was at a red light in Long Beach on my way to work and I was trying to grab my coffee real quick and the light turned green. In a panic I put the coffee down and came off the clutch too high and stalled...guy behind me honked. I threw up my hands. I was prepared to exist vehicle and fight as he pulled up next to me. It was my boss. :flame:

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I feel like as a new Si owner coming from an automatic, getting over the fear of accidently getting it in reverse made me much more aware of shifter position. That said I am still doing noob things a month in. I was at a red light in Long Beach on my way to work and I was trying to grab my coffee real quick and the light turned green. In a panic I put the coffee down and came off the clutch too high and stalled...guy behind me honked. I threw up my hands. I was prepared to exist vehicle and fight as he pulled up next to me. It was my boss. :flame:
LOL good story. Honda Manuals have a solenoid that locks out Reverse above I think 25 MPH so no worries accidentally shifting into reverse... I remember first learning to drive a stick when I was in my early 20s. I had bought a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 5 speed manual and I had never driven stick. The salesmen had to take me out and teach me how to drive until I could at least get it home. I literally stalled out at every light on the 10 mile drive home. Once I got the hang of it I always loved driving stick and working as a mechanic I always got excited when I got to drive one even though it was usually only to pull it in and out of the bay or for a short test drive.

I finally pulled the trigger and got my Si and I am loving it but as with my post you can see still getting used to driving stick daily and not just that but trying to be a little sporty and drive in a spirited manner.

ryox82

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I hear that. The last time I drove manual was in summer 2009. It was my girl at the times car and she was teaching me on her Si. Besides that, nothing. There was a hilarious game of phone tag on my way to the dealer from work between, myself, a mutual friend, and the finance manager who is also a mutual friend. He actually called me and panicked asking "You know this is a manual right??!" I said yes. I will drive it off the lot, and you won't video and share it.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Yea I actually money shifted my car less than a week having it, it's my first manual I was trying to show off to my lil bro. Don't remember what I did but all the lights came on, alerts kept popping up on the cluster "x system not working" limped it home that night. Brought it to the dealer next morning, all the lights had turned off by then. Tech told me not too worry about it, Honda doesn't need to know. I think I've money shifted a handful of times after that but not enough to trigger system failures, my warranty is probably void tho. Haven't money shifted in a while but recently I've come into the habit of grinding gears, mostly second. I'm keeping my car stock and I probably have until 60k before everything stops working on me so I'm secretly saving up to come out of pocket for repairs. lol.

TL;DR If system failures didn't flash on your cluster you'll be fine.
You have to press the clutch all the way down, and have the next gear already in to be able to start letting go of the clutch. You shouldn't have gotten a manual if ur just gonna abuse it
Sponsored