Money shifted hard into 2nd gear at 70 mph :')

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do miss my coupe, but i LOVE having extra space.

Current gen or next gen?
current gen for sure, would never get the first round of cars in a new gen

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Type R has already been sold rip. Going to see what Honda diagnoses the problem as.. don't think I'll get warranty so best case is it's a bearing or diff and I pay 1-1.5k out of pocket, worse case transmission is kapoot so I'll part out and look for something else.
with that price and mileage Im not surprised.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
"was looking around for type r for shits and giggles and found one near me for 33k in SGP with 4k miles. Just popped up but it's kind of hard to believe this price, apparently not a salavage, 0 accidents, 1 owner."

Here's a clean one owner with " 3,423 thousand miles" on it. Bargain priced also:

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/7331413

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch! Sorry, bro.
Definitely get that sorted. Anything that sounds different than it did before needs to be addressed.
Sounds like you didn't do too much damage. Where is that rev match when you need it?
Have I ever put it in 2nd by mistake? Yes. Worst moment of my Civic Type R life. I was going fast enough to freak me out when I did it, maybe not quite as fast as you were, but definitely not a sound you ever want to hear.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Just going to add my $.02 here. I highly doubt that it's your pilot bearing since the retrofit doesn't come with it. This may have been mentioned before, I just scanned through. I can't tell from the video if the whine increases with engine speed or vehicle speed, but finding that out would narrow down the possibilities.

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
100% sounds like the diff… I’ve had this happen once before on a bseries trans… literally a brand new out of the box type r trans… about a month old… money shifted not paying attention and made the same exact sound… was the diff….
never heard a throw out bearing or pilot make that kind of sound…

sidenote: this was in 2008, I sold that trans to a friend because I went kseries after that mishap… but the trans lived for quite awhile after that with no issues… just whined a bit.
I wouldn’t change the diff until it breaks Unless you can get it warrantied…

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
god damn it finally happened :banghead:

don't know what happened today but on my commute home today I was blasting like a stone by audioslave and guess i got too caught up in singing along with it LMAO :spaz:

i unfortunately money shifted real bad, was wot going into 3rd gear and slammed it into 2nd going 70 mph. I went into neutral right away and coasted to a gas station up ahead. I didn't hear anything shatter so I don't think there was debris, I took a look into the engine bay and everything looked ok and clean.

now however whenever I let off my clutch (emans r retrofit) I don't feel the engagement as much. I don't that that little lurch whenever you fully disengage anymore but it engages fine. There is also a whine that developed that I hear whenever I press on the gas pedal. Literally whenever I touch the gas a tiny bit there is a whine, more notable at highway cruising speeds in all gears around 3-4k rpm

i swung by my mechanics asap and he drove it and said it honestly feels ok, said clutch grabs fine and every gear feels solid. He did note the sound though and I'll get the car fully checked out this thursday or friday.

really worried about this whine though, would any of you know? thank you y'all i appreciate it in advance ?
same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago at full WOT.. on the strip ? I’m honestly worried about my ego more at this point. Definitely have a whine but I’ll probably start telling people, “it’s my straight cut gears”

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just going to add my $.02 here. I highly doubt that it's your pilot bearing since the retrofit doesn't come with it. This may have been mentioned before, I just scanned through. I can't tell from the video if the whine increases with engine speed or vehicle speed, but finding that out would narrow down the possibilities.
Yes I've been told that too, I'm narrowing it down to the diff. The whine creases with the vehicle speed, so 20mph would be the lowest sounding while 80+ would be the highest "fastest" sounding whine

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100% sounds like the diff… I’ve had this happen once before on a bseries trans… literally a brand new out of the box type r trans… about a month old… money shifted not paying attention and made the same exact sound… was the diff….
never heard a throw out bearing or pilot make that kind of sound…

sidenote: this was in 2008, I sold that trans to a friend because I went kseries after that mishap… but the trans lived for quite awhile after that with no issues… just whined a bit.
I wouldn’t change the diff until it breaks Unless you can get it warrantied…
Yeah I'm thinking it's the diff. Would it not be worth it changing the diff? I've seen stories of people money shifting and having diff isues, but ripping the fuck out of it and it still holding up fine.

Personally I'd rather replace something if it's broken rather than waiting until it actually breaks. Looks like an OEM diff is around $850

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes I've been told that too, I'm narrowing it down to the diff. The whine creases with the vehicle speed, so 20mph would be the lowest sounding while 80+ would be the highest "fastest" sounding whine
If I had to guess from this side of my computer, I'd put money on one of the bearings on the countershaft or on the diff, both require cracking the trans.

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
noob question, is it ok/normal to kind of force the shifter into a gear? I’ve been having trouble getting back into first gear if the car is moving 8mph+ unless it’s up a slope like a driveway or something. also reverse unless I stop completely -> go into another gear -> switch into reverse. I can kind of force the gears into first and reverse in both situations, but am hesitant and avoid it.

hope your car checks out ok!
Idk about the 10th gen, but in my 9th gen si I put it in reverse going maybe 1mph or less and it grinded the hell out it. Never again lol

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
Yeah I'm thinking it's the diff. Would it not be worth it changing the diff? I've seen stories of people money shifting and having diff isues, but ripping the fuck out of it and it still holding up fine.

Personally I'd rather replace something if it's broken rather than waiting until it actually breaks. Looks like an OEM diff is around $850
biggest reason I say just let it rock until it breaks or gets noticeably worse is…
If it’s not the diff, the OP could end up spending a fortune chasing a whine…

mid it were me… I’d save some bread, buy a used trans in the meantime… build it and replace the hurt one when it’s done…
Unless you can get the dealer to replace it under warrantee…
Sponsored