Money shifted hard into 2nd gear at 70 mph :')

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
but yeah yesterday I just sat in my car for like 10 minutes re-teaching myself shift patterns. I've driven manual since I started driving but took a 2-3 year break. As good of a driver as I think I am I'm clearly not good enough hitting a sloppy shift like that so I just want to make sure I don't repeat the same mistake again lolol
I make mistakes on bad days too, but haven't money shifted. Yet I guess. Just the other miserable day just right before a big storm, I was on a hill and tried to take off in neutral. Twice! lol.. The car rolled back a little each time and the car behind me kept a bigger gap on the next hill. lol...

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Lol, my trans may be messed up so lets keep pulling wot shifts.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
noob question, is it ok/normal to kind of force the shifter into a gear? I’ve been having trouble getting back into first gear if the car is moving 8mph+ unless it’s up a slope like a driveway or something. also reverse unless I stop completely -> go into another gear -> switch into reverse. I can kind of force the gears into first and reverse in both situations, but am hesitant and avoid it.

hope your car checks out ok!
Rev-match and you will go into gear fine. I've downshifted into first while moving 12-15 mph, you simply have to match revs and it goes right in...

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I said earlier…
Keep your trans in, drive the shit out if it…
Find a used trans in the meantime and build it…
Go to a shop in jersey that specifically only builds Honda’s… there are plenty…
Try tristate they can at least give you a solid recommendation…
You have the best options in the country right there in your backyard brother…
Last shop I would take my car to in New Jersey of all places is a shop that is not filled with Honda’s…
Choice is yours but be smart!
some of us have been down these roads many times before….
appreciate it buddy, yeah I'm just going to continue to drive tf out of it. I don't think I'll build a trans for this car, as much money as I already dumped into it not sure if I want to invest that type of money since I eventually want to upgrade. I shall see though

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
bad howl from 40 up...never fell apart
Yeah I'm talking to more and more people who have had a similar tranny whine but it's held up fine, thanks for ur input

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I make mistakes on bad days too, but haven't money shifted. Yet I guess. Just the other miserable day just right before a big storm, I was on a hill and tried to take off in neutral. Twice! lol.. The car rolled back a little each time and the car behind me kept a bigger gap on the next hill. lol...
yeah this money shift kinda took me of surprise, think I'm going to get a better feeling shift knob to replace the sweaty ball I currently have

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol, my trans may be messed up so lets keep pulling wot shifts.
This is the way, just did pulls with my commute buddy this morning and still feels good

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
yeah this money shift kinda took me of surprise, think I'm going to get a better feeling shift knob to replace the sweaty ball I currently have
I’m really picky with shift knobs… I just put a hybrid racing knob on my k swapped eg and so far it is one of my favorite…

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
OK, but don't try to sell that thing in the Member Classified section. Nobody here is in the market for your sweaty balls

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This is the way, just did pulls with my commute buddy this morning and still feels good
Reviving this threat Lol
Hows your car Holding? Have you find out the issue yet?
I went to a similar situation today was merging into the freeway i was on 3rd gear around 60mph and i felt this engine pull instead of going to 4th gear I went to 2nd i saw the gauge right away the gauge barely touch the redline 7rpm i drive hatch
Havent notice whining noise or engine sounds yet. I turn off my A/C and radio did some pulls couldnt hear anything and drove in the parking lot slow couldnt hear anything yet

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You're fine below 65 even if you fully released clutch - above would likely trigger over-rev code. If you kept your foot in it the ECU should have studdered the engine.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reviving this threat Lol
Hows your car Holding? Have you find out the issue yet?
I went to a similar situation today was merging into the freeway i was on 3rd gear around 60mph and i felt this engine pull instead of going to 4th gear I went to 2nd i saw the gauge right away the gauge barely touch the redline 7rpm i drive hatch
Havent notice whining noise or engine sounds yet. I turn off my A/C and radio did some pulls couldnt hear anything and drove in the parking lot slow couldnt hear anything yet
So after much research and diagnosis the issue is because of teeth being grinded off 2nd gear and metal shavings getting into the bearings and basically destroying it. Car drives still ok for now, when releasing the clutch there is some rumble going on from the bottom of the car when I go from a stop. I haven’t beat on the car or even went WOT since the money shift, holding the car for maybe less than a month now before I sell it when my brz gets delivered. If you have a whine you’ll without a doubt hear it

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So after much research and diagnosis the issue is because of teeth being grinded off 2nd gear and metal shavings getting into the bearings and basically destroying it. Car drives still ok for now, when releasing the clutch there is some rumble going on from the bottom of the car when I go from a stop. I haven’t beat on the car or even went WOT since the money shift, holding the car for maybe less than a month now before I sell it when my brz gets delivered. If you have a whine you’ll without a doubt hear it

RIP sir. If it makes you feel any better they just opened a new chicken and beer location here where I live now so I will dedicate a visit there for you and your car lol

That sucks man

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
RIP sir. If it makes you feel any better they just opened a new chicken and beer location here where I live now so I will dedicate a visit there for you and your car lol

That sucks man
Yeah honestly it is what it is, made my peace with it a while back. I was so upset over it and lost sleep because I genuinely loved this car and wanted to drive it into the ground, but luckily/unluckily we are in a time where we can get out of a car with a ton of positive equity and get into something new (if you can find it for the right price)

what spot is it?? couple new spots popped up recently, i could really go for some lol
Sponsored