Money shifted hard into 2nd gear at 70 mph :')

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
god damn it finally happened :banghead:

don't know what happened today but on my commute home today I was blasting like a stone by audioslave and guess i got too caught up in singing along with it LMAO :spaz:

i unfortunately money shifted real bad, was wot going into 3rd gear and slammed it into 2nd going 70 mph. I went into neutral right away and coasted to a gas station up ahead. I didn't hear anything shatter so I don't think there was debris, I took a look into the engine bay and everything looked ok and clean.

now however whenever I let off my clutch (emans r retrofit) I don't feel the engagement as much. I don't that that little lurch whenever you fully disengage anymore but it engages fine. There is also a whine that developed that I hear whenever I press on the gas pedal. Literally whenever I touch the gas a tiny bit there is a whine, more notable at highway cruising speeds in all gears around 3-4k rpm

i swung by my mechanics asap and he drove it and said it honestly feels ok, said clutch grabs fine and every gear feels solid. He did note the sound though and I'll get the car fully checked out this thursday or friday.

really worried about this whine though, would any of you know? thank you y'all i appreciate it in advance ?

Conclusion update 7/29/21:

Alright so I got a recommendation to a tranny specialty shop with very nice and knowledgeable people and this is the conclusion we came to.

The issue is confirmed to be within the transmission, the mechanics over there think the likely issue is a bearing within the trans maybe a shaft/throwout bearing that might've gotten shifted just a tiny bit due to the money shift. The mechanic over there has had an 8th/9th gen with a similar whine (but not as pronounced) and has gotten over 80k miles on it without issues. I have also heard this from previous 8th/9th gen owners, even though it's obviously a different generation, it's shouldn't be too different with the 10th gen. They said that because there was no debris in the fluid that is great as obviously there's no extreme impending issues coming.

They said that even if hypothetically it is the differential, nobody will be able to fully diagnose it just by the sound. It wouldn't be worth it at all to spend the time cracking the transmission and replacing the diff when there could very well be another underlying problem. The best course of action would be to source a used transmission and just replace the thing entirely. They gave me about an $900 quote for labor and said they can do the work and source the transmission themselves from local junkyards.

What I'll do in the meantime is just drive my car like normal. I did some WOT pulls yesterday going home and it felt perfectly fine, I'm getting a little more used to the sound of it. I have also talked to another 10th gen member who has done my same money shift, experienced the same exact sound, but also continued to drive the hell out of his car doing dyno runs, highpulls, drag strip pulls, and his car is still ok with no other issues arising. This gives me more confidence in the 8th gen comment from my mechanic and how he got many miles out of it.

Live and learn, I'm glad that I didn't completely screw my trans but I think eventually a replacement will have to come (hopefully not though)
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Redline in 2nd is about 58 mph, right? Your engine should be ok, honestly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ALL I FEEL IS PAIN RIGHT NOW BRO JUST PULL IT
Redline in 2nd is about 58 mph, right? You could be ok, honestly.
Yeah I think the engine is ok, hopefully at least

im more worried about the whine whenever i get on the gas now, not really notable in lower gears but higher speeds its super noticable

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IM HURTING RN
forreal me too bro :'( ive never money shifted that bad and never thought i would

right after i did it i turned off the volume with the quickness and i was like FUCKKKKKKKK FUCKKK FUCK FUCK LMAO

i was mad as fuck but now im at peace with it, it is what it is. hoping nothing bad :cry:

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
forreal me too bro :'( ive never money shifted that bad and never thought i would

right after i did it i turned off the volume with the quickness and i was like FUCKKKKKKKK FUCKKK FUCK FUCK LMAO

i was mad as fuck but now im at peace with it, it is what it is. hoping nothing bad :cry:
I JUST MIGHT PULL THE TRIGGER ? My favorite si in the east coast getting mistreated SMH... HOPE its all good tho!

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I JUST MIGHT PULL THE TRIGGER ? My favorite si in the east coast getting mistreated SMH... HOPE its all good tho!
much love bro i appreciate you forreal that means a lot ? my mechanic gonna try and get me in thursday im really hoping its nothing too bad

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
noob question, is it ok/normal to kind of force the shifter into a gear? I’ve been having trouble getting back into first gear if the car is moving 8mph+ unless it’s up a slope like a driveway or something. also reverse unless I stop completely -> go into another gear -> switch into reverse. I can kind of force the gears into first and reverse in both situations, but am hesitant and avoid it.

hope your car checks out ok!

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
god damn it finally happened :banghead:

don't know what happened today but on my commute home today I was blasting like a stone by audioslave and guess i got too caught up in singing along with it LMAO :spaz:

i unfortunately money shifted real bad, was wot going into 3rd gear and slammed it into 2nd going 70 mph. I went into neutral right away and coasted to a gas station up ahead. I didn't hear anything shatter so I don't think there was debris, I took a look into the engine bay and everything looked ok and clean.

now however whenever I let off my clutch (emans r retrofit) I don't feel the engagement as much. I don't that that little lurch whenever you fully disengage anymore but it engages fine. There is also a whine that developed that I hear whenever I press on the gas pedal. Literally whenever I touch the gas a tiny bit there is a whine, more notable at highway cruising speeds in all gears around 3-4k rpm

i swung by my mechanics asap and he drove it and said it honestly feels ok, said clutch grabs fine and every gear feels solid. He did note the sound though and I'll get the car fully checked out this thursday or friday.

really worried about this whine though, would any of you know? thank you y'all i appreciate it in advance ?
Change out your fluids and look for any metallic 'confetti'. If engagement seems okay and the fluid looks good then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Obviously don't do that again or you risk losing several teeth off of something important :D

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
maybe i'm reading it wrong but how did you mis-shift into 2nd instead of 3rd when you were at 70 mph? if anything it would make more sense if you shifted into 5th or 1st. what gear were you in originally?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
noob question, is it ok/normal to kind of force the shifter into a gear? I’ve been having trouble getting back into first gear if the car is moving 8mph+ unless it’s up a slope like a driveway or something. also reverse unless I stop completely -> go into another gear -> switch into reverse. I can kind of force the gears into first and reverse in both situations, but am hesitant and avoid it.

hope your car checks out ok!
There is a mechanical lockout to prevent you from shifting into 1st & Reverse if you are still slowly moving over ~8-10 MPH.

Don't force it into gear or you will break the shifter link! There was a tech who shared a pic of someone's Si who did this: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/bruh-who-broke-their-shifter-link-lmao.52615/

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
maybe i'm reading it wrong but how did you mis-shift into 2nd instead of 3rd when you were at 70 mph? if anything it would make more sense if you shifted into 5th or 1st. what gear were you in originally?
3rd in a '20 Si tops out around 80 MPH so I think he said he was wot in 3rd to 70 MPH, then try to find 4th, but went into 2nd instead.
Sponsored