DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I did a back calculation to see what rpms would be if you downshifted in error to the next lower gear from the redline of your current gear. It would mechanically force the engine into rpms above the redline.

No allowance for rev decay or other stuff was assumed so this is probably an upper limit based on the mechanical specs.

It also derives what the max upshift point should be from your current gear just in case you downshifted in error.

I did a search and didn't find any similar calculations but additions, corrections or clarifications are most welcome.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
It’s probably most likely a crap shoot...

Some with get lucky and almost pull it off without blowing something up.

Some will destroy their gear box, others will escape with minimal damage. Probably a lot of factors are you downshifting to slow down from like 5-6 to 4th to slow down? So RPMs are dropping, or are you mashing the throttle going from WOT in 3rd gear at 80+ mph near red line and then hit 2nd.

I don’t know, I only money shifted wrong once in my STi and I was only going 60 going onto the free and went 3 to second and thank god that is still in 2nds potential on that car. It was my first manual in years and I was rusty. Now I am always careful.