redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
bought a 2018 coupe a couple of weeks ago,and so far its been great,but there is a significant almount of moisture in the drivers side tail light lenses.is this a common problem,and is it something i should be concerned with?there are 3 other hondas in the family and this is the only one with this issue.
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
bought a 2018 coupe a couple of weeks ago,and so far its been great,but there is a significant almount of moisture in the drivers side tail light lenses.is this a common problem,and is it something i should be concerned with?there are 3 other hondas in the family and this is the only one with this issue.
It’s not good, but it’s also not the end of the world. You can try to put some high temps silicone grease (like what you would place on brake sliding pins) around the seal of the tail light to see if that seals the lens up. If it doesn’t then there’s possibly a small crack on the housing. In which case I would just replace it. Of course the silicone grease being just a band-aid, and outright replacing the housing is the proper fix if the condensation is bad to the point it’s collecting a pool of water inside. A small amount of condensation can happen if the conditions are right and is normal, but pooling water is not normal

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
its a pain in the a** when that happens. If your vehicle is under warranty still, take it in. If not try removing it at putting it in the sun. Try see if theres any broken seals or anywhere water can get in and maybe some silicon. If you can afford it just replace the light.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
It happened to my 2018-SI last year but it was probably my fault.
I went to a coin wash and I sprayed high pressure water (strong) to the taillights. There were condensations inside both taillights. The dealership replaced them under warranty,

OP
OP

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
took it to the selling dealer(honda)who sent pictures to a regional manager who said there wasnt enough condensation to warrant replacement.its been sitting in the sun for a week and hasnt dried out.im thinking the selling dealer may have just ignored the problem.going to try a local honda dealer this week.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
took it to the selling dealer(honda)who sent pictures to a regional manager who said there wasnt enough condensation to warrant replacement.its been sitting in the sun for a week and hasnt dried out.im thinking the selling dealer may have just ignored the problem.going to try a local honda dealer this week.
Thats BS. There shouldn't be ANY condensation in there, that's the whole point of seals. Should tell them you're going to contact Honda Corporate. By all means take it to a more helpful dealership. Do you have anything written to show what they said? I would fire off an email and copy them in, then watch the light get replaced. Dealers fear corporate according to a friend who's a service manager with Toyota.

I would fill it with water and take it in.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has happened to me. Easy to fix. Remove the taillight assembly; 2 screws and ply the light away and outward. Disconnect the 4 plugs and bring it inside. Take the fogged light out and hit in the lens with a hair dryer for a minute. Then set in front of a fan blowing in the hole for a few hours or overnight. Use dielectric grease or a silicone grease around the seal before turning the light back in and it will never happen again. Go ahead and replace with LED and grease the others while it's off. I did all 9 pairs on sedan like this, and unfogged 1.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this happen on both my 17 and 18, mostly after I washed it,it would dry up in the sun after a while but was kinda annoying when it happens .

OP
OP

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it only happens on the drivers side so its not normal.im thinking i will see if my local dealer will handle it better than brandon honda where i bought the car.if so,the local dealer will pick up a new customer.if not i will fix it myself and take it to firestone for maintenence work.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
it only happens on the drivers side so its not normal.im thinking i will see if my local dealer will handle it better than brandon honda where i bought the car.if so,the local dealer will pick up a new customer.if not i will fix it myself and take it to firestone for maintenence work.
And report them to Honda, we shouldn't have to beg the dealerships to honour a warranty. These cars are 1000s in financial commitment and warrantys should be honoured.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Either the lamp assembly seal is broken and needs replaced or more likely the o ring or gasket seal on the light isn't sealing when twisted in. Either way just leaving it in the sun might evaporate the moisture to humid air but it will be visible again once it cools down. You need to remove the bulb and blow in there for hours to remove all the moisture.
Sponsored