Mods optimised for drag racing and straight-line acceleration?

NoBonyInjury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R GT 2.0L VTEC Turbo (FK8)
Country flag
I've got a 2017 FK8 with a Hondata tune, and have recently got into drag racing.

Many FK8 owners talk about how to improve their car 'around a track' - but I'm looking specifically for straight line acceleration from a standing start. I know this isn't what an FK8 is really built for.

What would be the best steps (outside of weight reduction and tyres) to improve drag times/acceleration?

EDIT: Thanks for your help guys. Maybe I should keep investing into the E55, and keep the FK8 for track days. I just got super inspired by the 10-second Redstar video
Sponsored

Last edited:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I've got a 2017 FK8 with a Hondata tune, and have recently got into drag racing.

Many FK8 owners talk about how to improve their car 'around a track' - but I'm looking specifically for straight line acceleration from a standing start. I know this isn't what an FK8 is really built for, but I was inspired by the recent 10-second video from Redstar.

What would be the best steps (outside of weight reduction and tyres) to improve drag times/acceleration?
After the tune you’ll want DP/FP, PRL intake, Intercooler, flex fuel kit, and/or AEM meth injection. That’ll put you over 400 to the wheels with a custom tune on the stock fuel system.
Also, go with 18’s and sticky tires

OP
OP
NoBonyInjury

NoBonyInjury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mustangs and Camaros are a dime a dozen
Story of my life - I was born in the wrong country.

I spent a month in Austin last year, and the amount of American muscle just casually driving around the block is insane. Over in the UK, a Mustang is something you see once a month. Any American muscle car is serious money here in the UK

OP
OP
NoBonyInjury

NoBonyInjury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your advice guys. I think part of the issue is that I'm in the UK, where American muscle cars are not easy or cheap to come by.

Going on your advice I'll keep my Type-R for tracks and the E55 AMG for drags

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
AMGs are considered the "German muscle car" so there's your answer ;)

I remember one time I "challenged" an AMG C63 (I didn't realize it was an AMG at the time) and got left in the dust... those things are no joke.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Thanks for your advice guys. I think part of the issue is that I'm in the UK, where American muscle cars are not easy or cheap to come by.

Good call - that's why I decided to keep my M2 as well - good straight line monster and the Type R is more of a visceral drivers car. Very different cars but I don't ever try and race anyone off the line - it's just pointless imo.

Enjoy each car for its strengths and don't try and make it what it is not imo.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very different cars but I don't ever try and race anyone off the line - it's just pointless imo.

Enjoy each car for its strengths and don't try and make it what it is not imo.
Pretty much this. I don't even like the feeling of launching this car hard - to me, it feels terrible, and probably is overall for the drivetrain.

This car is made for twisties, not straight lines :headbang:

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
This car is made for twisties, not straight lines :headbang:

definitely.

I met a guy last weekend who built his R32 GTR to drag race it and a piece of me died inside.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
definitely.

I met a guy last weekend who built his R32 GTR to drag race it and a piece of me died inside.
You made the sides of my mouth go downwards.

Put a warning on such depressing sentiments! lol

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
The skylines are extremely good drag cars. Oldie but good
no doubt. If you have all the money in the world and you want an R32 that can blast straight lines, I get it. But if you only have one, and it’s your pride and joy, seems odd to build it into a drag car

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
no doubt. If you have all the money in the world and you want an R32 that can blast straight lines, I get it. But if you only have one, and it’s your pride and joy, seems odd to build it into a drag car
Same opinion I had of the STi '1/4 mile guys' and the EVO scene as well - they can certainly be made to do that, but especially with the EVO - you're missing out on so much of the car if that's what you use it for. Active Yaw Control in that car was awesome and so addicting but had nothing to do with a straight line.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
Get a rear motor mount, white line anti lift kit, light weight wheels wrapped with a bias ply, and some weight reduction. Then just practice your reaction time. People always rave about how this is a track car and not made for straight line speed not realizing that it’s actually pretty fast in a straight line for a fwd car especially from a roll. I’ve beaten lots of v8’s in my car

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag

I dragged mine at santa pod near you (I presume your in Milton Keynes) last august and couldn't get it below 14 secs, but it was great fun still. Got destroyed off the lights by 4wd stuff but reeled a few in. Can't wait for it to open again

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
If you want to drag race your civic. Do it.

No matter what kind of racing you’re going to do. Get used to the car as-is. Then start modding from there.

If I was going to do one mod geared toward drag racing it would be a pair of light weight 18’s and slicks/drag radials.

Practice your reaction time and get used to losing. Mustangs and Camaros are a dime a dozen and their 300 HP goes a lot farther than yours because it's going to the rear wheels.

You can overcome the FWD problems, but to get to 10 seconds in a Type R your car will be completely unstreetable.
300hp? Is this 1998?

I think saying it would “unstreetable” is absolute BS.
Sponsored