Mods and such

kdog1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for the thread on 2016 2.0L CVT mods or maybe I can get some answers here.

What is there out there to give the severely underpowered 2.0L some extra umph? Like seriously, my fiance's 96 ek coupe can keep up with me. I've heard rumors and such regarding a light Hondata tune or Ktune that does something but I haven't found anything related. Also, looking on ProCivic.com gives me a few suspension, exhaust, and other related parts. Not finding much, but not surprised by that honestly. No real enthusiast drives a CVT.... But, I'm stuck with a plain Jane until I can afford an Si or if I'm smart, a Type-R.

I'm looking for anything, less the cosmetic side of the spectrum. A friend of mine does 3d printing and he has some high temp plastic stuff he can use to print spacers and adapters and whatever I need. Anybody have anything. I'm just looking to get another 10-20hp for the car to be bearable for the next 18-24 months.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kdog1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Intake, Exhaust, and general weight reduction are an option
I've tried looking for a good intake? Where's a good place to shop for one? Same with exhaust? Only thing about exhaust is that the car is a CVT and having the car louder is going to sound strange... What can I look for in weight reduction?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
PRL has the most well regarded intake options. For weight reduction you could consider removing the mufflers.
Or lighter weight wheels. The stock ones on most trim levels are porkers.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Or lighter weight wheels. The stock ones on most trim levels are porkers.
+1 to this. I had Volk TE37 16" which weighed under 12 lbs each for my old WRX, Another way to save weight and help lower center of gravity is carbon fiber or aluminum hood/trunk/doors. Also lightweight glass, and small/light battery. But all of those things start to cost significantly more. Getting a custom exhaust mod, or replacement, is much better on the bang for buck scale.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
+1 to this. I had Volk TE37 16" which weighed under 12 lbs each for my old WRX, Another way to save weight and help lower center of gravity is carbon fiber or aluminum hood/trunk/doors. Also lightweight glass, and small/light battery. But all of those things start to cost significantly more. Getting a custom exhaust mod, or replacement, is much better on the bang for buck scale.
Keep an eye on CL/Facebook Marketplace too. I picked up a set of RPF1s for $400, which usually are ~$1100 new. Even those new are much less than options from Volk. Volk makes great stuff, but very expensive for a dd.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Keep an eye on CL/Facebook Marketplace too. I picked up a set of RPF1s for $400, which usually are ~$1100 new. Even those new are much less than options from Volk. Volk makes great stuff, but very expensive for a dd.
Yep, I picked up my Volks with RE01R on them for $1100 back in the day from Clubwrx forum.

OP
OP

kdog1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a set of Enkei wheels on and they are far lighter than my stock steelies. I'm also running bfgoodrich sport comp 2s on them and so far launch and handling is great. I saw a video of a 10th gen w/o the muffler and it sounded great and I'm sure relieves about 10lbs of weight. I'm just worried about state inspections.

Aside from that, I'm reading an intake, that new downpipe, exhaust and a k24w intake off a k24 Accord, and a KTune tuner with push 180whp up from 138whp on the N/A CVT/6MT K20c2 blocks .Which is significant enough to be faster than the 1.5T, the 10th gen Si, and every stock GTI on the road.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just put a set of Enkei wheels on and they are far lighter than my stock steelies. I'm also running bfgoodrich sport comp 2s on them and so far launch and handling is great. I saw a video of a 10th gen w/o the muffler and it sounded great and I'm sure relieves about 10lbs of weight. I'm just worried about state inspections.

Aside from that, I'm reading an intake, that new downpipe, exhaust and a k24w intake off a k24 Accord, and a KTune tuner with push 180whp up from 138whp on the N/A CVT/6MT K20c2 blocks .Which is significant enough to be faster than the 1.5T, the 10th gen Si, and every stock GTI on the road.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/possible-breakthrough-for-2-0-owners.24786/#post-422321

Based on this thread it looks like that did not work out. Where did you see someone report success and 180whp?

A gain of over 30% from an intake manifold and a tune would be some extraordinary stuff

Last edited:

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe

Not "enough" to compete with any of the cars listed.

OP
OP

kdog1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

kdog1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Not "enough" to compete with any of the cars listed.
180whp should be close enough to compete with a stock Civic 1.5T. Those are only 174hp to the crank from factory. 165whp +/- I would think if you did assumption math.

A GTI is 210hp crank unless VW bumped it up. A k24 Si I believe is only 200 crank HP and like 190whp or something. All things considered, the weight of a 4dr 2.0L may screw thing up a bit.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
180whp should be close enough to compete with a stock Civic 1.5T. Those are only 174hp to the crank from factory. 165whp +/- I would think if you did assumption math.

A GTI is 210hp crank unless VW bumped it up. A k24 Si I believe is only 200 crank HP and like 190whp or something. All things considered, the weight of a 4dr 2.0L may screw thing up a bit.
While these cars may be 'rated' at the these numbers at the crank, Honda, VW and many others have been underrating crank horepower on their turbo cars.

An example is the 10th Gen Si. Honda says it makes something like 205hp/192lb/ft at the crank. In reality, people have dyno'd stock ones to show about 205hp/210 lb/ft at the wheels, so even more at the crank.
Sponsored